IGNORED

Green screen PLEASE HELP

Zack

I recently bought an atari 5200 at a flea market and I finally bought a game and the screen displays dark dark green. I am aware of what this can mean but I want some personaliZed help. I am reseating the hips and inspecting the board right now I will report back when done. I basically have about $20 to fix this any help would be great

Nope nothing immediately looks out of place. The brown goop is just old rosin flux and that specific section you mentioned might mean that specific chip was changed out separately from the rest. Nice to see everything in sockets as that makes it much easier for service work in the future.

I'm not immediately sure what it would be, but my process is to always start at power. So with my meter I would check that I was getting +5 from both regulators and then start tracing from there. The fact that it turns on is a good sign and I'm sure you cleaned the game or games you are testing thoroughly.

• 1 year later...
On 3/14/2020 at 5:47 PM, peke said:

how do you reset al the chips? i'm having green screen too

Re-seat, not reset. Basically, remove each chip carefully from its socket and then re-insert. You're doing this in case there's some surface corrosion on the legs or socket contacts that's preventing good electrical contact. You don't even need to remove the chip entirely - usually all you need to do is take a very small flat blade screwdriver like a jeweler's screwdriver, slide it under one end of the chip between the chip bottom and the socket, then use the screwdriver to gently pry the chip loose from the socket on one end partially. Don't remove it entirely or you'll bend the pins on the other side. Once you gotten the chip partly lifted, do the same at the other end of the chip. Once it's mostly out, simply re-insert.