IGNORED

Anyone ever try 830/1030/XM301 modem with Magic Jack?

Gunstar

I pulled a couple peripherals out of the "closet" to get them set-up on my Atari again, including my 1020 plotter, 24-pin printer and my 1030 modem. I've been thinking about using my 1030 case for mounting an SIO2SD drive in it, and more recently, seriously thinking about using it to mount the S-drive MAX. But I've also had aspirations to actually use the 1030 modem to call up BBS's, as I never had a modem when I was young, and missed out on that whole side of Atari computing. If I do it at all, I want the real experience with a real 300 baud modem and not APE's virtual modem or with an emulator or whatever. So I haven't done anything yet because I don't currently have a land-line phone, but then the thought occurred to me as the title says: Anyone ever try using a modem with Magic Jack or similar product through the PC?

Edited by Gunstar

Here's a post of mine from a previous thread that talks about what to expect on this type of phone line

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/267562-sx212-random-charecters/?p=3802346

MagicJack might work similarly to Cable/Fibre telephone service, if at all. A good hint to any level of support for data communications is if they support FAX machines on a magicJack line. I wouldn't expect too much, as VoIP over public Internet is often pretty poor quality, and unreliable for data.

• Like 1

magic jack used to but they change codecs and clec all the time... never a chance... Vonage has success more often then not, with proper set up... net talk.. you can call them sometimes and get the codec switched or change the center it connects to and you will have decent fax and modem usage....

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1