IGNORED

1088XLD - Custom A8 Computer in 1050 Drive Case

mytek

A more Atari like intro...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeOzI3aJOrk

By adjusting the delay parameters at the start of the intro.bin file using a hex editor, you can alter the delay before the music begins after power-up. The delay is broken into 2 bytes, first one being the MSB and the 2nd being the LSB, with the total number representing the milliseconds of delay before start (90 = 1st Note-On command).

post-42561-0-32048200-1537477264.png

Decimal to Hex Converter

Edit: I cranked up the volume for the video. During the first 5-6 seconds following boot-up, something suppresses the audio making the volume lower than usual. It's actual nice in a way, since you really wouldn't want the intro to be blaring, but instead be more in the background. Although I am curious as to why this occurs, and whether it's just a 1088XEL thing (could be, since the audio circuitry is quite unlike anything that Atari every did).

• Like 1

Should have got one of the old sample record/playback chips and got it to play the Sinistar "I LIVE!" :-D

The irony of this work you're doing now is that a few days ago I realised that the one thing that the Atari has never really had, due to the general awesomeness of Pokey, is a sound upgrade. So I had been looking at old chips. But only those in DIP packages. Anything SMD is beyond me.

• Like 1

Should have got one of the old sample record/playback chips and got it to play the Sinistar "I LIVE!" :-D

The irony of this work you're doing now is that a few days ago I realised that the one thing that the Atari has never really had, due to the general awesomeness of Pokey, is a sound upgrade. So I had been looking at old chips. But only those in DIP packages. Anything SMD is beyond me.

True I could have done that :) .

Although what mustn't be forgotten, is that I was able to make something similar happen by simply reprogramming a chip that I was already using for the MIDI gating and 31250 baud clock generation. So no extra chips required ;) . And then there is the cost savings, since the PIC chip goes for $0.71 and it runs the whole show. Well to be precise it runs the MIDI interface, you still need a MIDI Synth to create the sound which does cost some $$$.

Example shown for 1088XEL plug-in Sound Board

post-42561-0-50159500-1537928815.png

• Like 2

Think I'm ready to order some prototype PCBs. If anybody spots a major flaw, please report! I'll probably order the boards somewhere next week.

BTW Mytek, if you want me to open a separate thread, I'll do so instead of cluttering your thread :)

Both designs should eventually be shrunk and possibly assembled in China. Hope I'll manage to hand solder the VS1053 onto the prototype :)

post-20947-0-61610900-1537543587.pngpost-20947-0-49090500-1537543600.png

cs9236wb.pdf

vs1053wb.pdf

• Like 3

Think I'm ready to order some prototype PCBs. If anybody spots a major flaw, please report! I'll probably order the boards somewhere next week.

BTW Mytek, if you want me to open a separate thread, I'll do so instead of cluttering your thread :)

Both designs should eventually be shrunk and possibly assembled in China. Hope I'll manage to hand solder the VS1053 onto the prototype :)

attachicon.gifcs9236wb.pngattachicon.gifvs1053wb.png

No need to move this into a new thread :) .

Since the MIDI coupled with an on-board Synth is a part of the 1088XLD design evolution, I feel that your new board design is pertinent to the discussion. So I'll leave that decision up to you.

Just curious as to why you left so much open space in your design. Are you planning for other goodies down the road?

No need to move this into a new thread :) .

OK, thanks. I thought I'd better ask, in case it was bothering you.

Just curious as to why you left so much open space in your design. Are you planning for other goodies down the road?

No, but I figured anything between 5x5cm and 5x10cm costs the same, so I'd just as well space it out a little. Makes soldering and especially debugging easier, although I hope not much debugging is necessary ;)

As for other goodies, I do have some other ideas for other boards. This seems like a nice gadget, although it'll need a program at the A8 side for controls and a MIDI synth to play. I have one in my box, but it took me about 6 months to receive it(!) If you google him around, he's notorious for bad service.

Another idea is a PIC/AVR controlling an old school PSG, like AY-3-8910, SID, or even another Pokey :) And if connected to a stand-alone waveblaster host, you can control it directly with a MIDI synth.

Edited by ivop

That DSP Synth chip that you linked to looks pretty cool (I've got to resist the urge, too many things in the pot already ;) ).

Another idea is a PIC/AVR controlling an old school PSG, like AY-3-8910, SID, or even another Pokey :) And if connected to a stand-alone waveblaster host, you can control it directly with a MIDI synth.

You kind of lost me on that last part. I can see using an MCU to access one of those sound chips, but what exactly do you mean by a stand-alone wave blaster host? Are you suggesting having the MCU be a bridge from the sound chip's requirements over to MIDI type commands? If that's what you mean, I could certainly see doing that.

Forget about the stand-alone waveblaster host, which is something like https://www.serdashop.com/Webwinkel-Product-198933091/DreamFace-S2-Enclosure.html

but can be done as well with MIDI Muse or your MIDI Module. It just means you hear the notes you play on your (synth) keyboard are directly processed and made audible by the connected WaveBlaster board, i.e. connect MIDI-IN to the WB.

As for the bridge function, that's indeed what I suggest. The MCU interprets the incoming MIDI events and makes the appropriate sounds by driving a data bus and address bus to the PSG, which will have its obvious limits, being a 3 or 4 channel sound chip. Through SYSEX events, you could also cater for reprogramming all the hardware registers one at the time, or in one go, like, every 1/50th of a second ;)

Edit: BTW Irgendwer had an idea of creating an add-on that is even more sophisticated, that would allow you to upload a full player and have it play autonomously.

Edited by ivop

Got it :thumbsup: :) .

If I turn around the direction assignments on the MIDI_IN vs. Data_Out, then that would allow the PIC's UART RX line to be connected to MIDI_IN. By doing that one change, it would be very easy to setup the PIC to automatically accept a MIDI data stream and buffer it in the internal RAM all via an interrupt driven routine. Of course the RAM is limited to 256 bytes, so you would have to process it before the buffer overflowed. Anyway then take that data and feed it into a translation routine as part of the main loop firmware to change from MIDI to PSG, AY-3-8910, SID, or Pokey commands. Simple in concept, but still a lot going on under the hood. Although now that I think about it, it would definitely require a bigger PIC to have enough I/O pins to hook into the parallel addressing and data of those sound chips, as well as the R/W and whatever control signals are also required. But all of this is doable :) .

Maybe someday ;) .

Or we just let Irgendwer finish his project.

A more Atari like intro...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeOzI3aJOrk

Mmmm....it's more Bally-Midway ;)

I wanted to say Namco, but as we all know Pac Man was Namco, but Ms.Pac Man was Evil Otto by GCC, which was bought by Bally-Midway and changed into Ms.Pac Man (bless them all !)

LOL...anyway, it's a nice tune, but a bit too long IMHO....o well....it's all just playing around...... :D

The "Have you played Atari today" is only 8 notes....ever noticed those boot-up sounds tend to be as short as possible (to stay "tolerable") ;)

Edited by Level42
  • Like 2

Mmmm....it's more Bally-Midway ;)

I wanted to say Namco, but as we all know Pac Man was Namco, but Ms.Pac Man was Evil Otto by GCC, which was bought by Bally-Midway and changed into Ms.Pac Man (bless them all !)

LOL...anyway, it's a nice tune, but a bit too long IMHO....o well....it's all just playing around...... :D

The "Have you played Atari today" is only 8 notes....ever noticed those boot-up sounds tend to be as short as possible (to stay "tolerable") ;)

Yep it is a bit much, but a good example of the intro feature. I too would like to find something simple and sweet that sounds cool, but hasn't been used on other computer systems. If it also unmistakably says Atari to the user, so much the better. Do you happen to have that tune "Have you played Atari today" in MIDI format , or know someone that can create it?

• Like 1

Yep it is a bit much, but a good example of the intro feature. I too would like to find something simple and sweet that sounds cool, but hasn't been used on other computer systems. If it also unmistakably says Atari to the user, so much the better. Do you happen to have that tune "Have you played Atari today" in MIDI format , or know someone that can create it?

"Have you played" is so much better than the silly, in my opinion, sound of the Jaguar starting up -- which reminded me of something FisherPrice would have done.

lol

sorry it isn't what you're looking for....

You would think with all the guitar covers of the Atari versions of zybex and draconus music and such that someone would have riffed of out little jingle by now...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 5

lol

You would think with all the guitar covers of the Atari versions of zybex and draconus music and such that someone would have riffed of out little jingle by now...

OMG - used that since the day it came out. NEVER knew it had that hidden feature!!!

• Like 2

Doc I'll have to check out that tune tomorrow because my wife is asleep, and I don't wish to find out what happens if I wake her.

------------------------

On a separate note, I think I have the DIN part of the MIDI interface worked out.

post-42561-0-13441400-1537597498_thumb.png

Edit: The R7 value will likely be lower then shown in order to insure a fast and hard upward swing to the signal, but the exact value is presently unknown until I get a scope on it.

This will have it's own independent board lay out suitable for rear panel access, although it will require a few holes in the upper case cover of the 1050 to allow access to the connectors and the switch. Of course this board is completely optional, only required if you wish to interface to an external device or to play MIDI-Maze (who would want to do that ;) ).

I went with a H11L1 opto-isolator for the MIDI-IN connection, since it has good drive characteristics, and switching speeds up to 1 Mhz which far exceeds what is required. And since it incorporates a Schmidt trigger opto device, any noise on the line should be ignored. All the signal gating is handled by the MIDI PIC MCU which will be integrated into the XLD design, and is incorporated into the MIDI-XEL board.

• Like 3

lol

That is indeed the tune i was looking for :) .

Now how to get it into MIDI format :?

It should then the happy poppy synth meow meow version would go over even better today... this ain't it either, but you should know...

https://boomkat.com/products/liberator-69e88849-55d2-4663-8672-4bba9b109445

press play... :)

skip to the jingles at the end, Almost every jingle is slighty different but these two were closest to each other.. Some are happy and modern almost... others not so much... a few are even cheerful, I'd search em out, find your faves and start asking the music crews here on AA for a midi embodying the cheerful yet synthy jingle in midi form..

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Doc I like the first of the two you just posted the best. It has a real synthy sound to it :) .

------------------

DIN interface update: better buffering added.

post-42561-0-94952800-1537648995_thumb.png

Adding one more IC (74HC14) allows for much better buffering and noise suppression, due to now having Schmidt trigger signal conditioning across the board.

• Like 2

Small change to the DIN Interface header: Pin-5 now = Midi-CLK. Although this isn't going to be currently used in any DIN interface board I have in the works, I figured it might come in handy for something else down the road. The XEL-MIDI PCB has had it's interface header modified as well.

post-42561-0-23989900-1537733797_thumb.png

Here is a preliminary look at the DIN Interface PCB.

post-42561-0-18706800-1537744321_thumb.png

Will work with either the 1088XLD or the MIDI-XEL add-on board.

1088XLD installation using threaded stand-offs to elevate above the motherboard.

post-42561-0-80830300-1537744350_thumb.png

• Like 2

Doc I like the first of the two you just posted the best. It has a real synthy sound to it :) .

Yes TOTALLY agree, that is exactly the one I had in mind.

That cheesy 80s synth sound fits PERFECTLY for our beloved machines :)

It has to be an analogue synth though considering the 2600 era....I’m not an expert but it sounds like a MiniMoog to me....

• Like 1