IGNORED

Top half of a 2 port 5200 wanted (at a fair price).

Omega-TI

Do you have a broken or worthless 2 port 5200 that still looks decent? A while back I purchased my one and only 5200, it works fine, but as you can see from the photo, the lower left corner look like crap and the metal is scuffed too. I'd like to get my hands on a DECENT TOP-HALF so I can finally be happy.

Thanks!

post-35324-0-37908500-1532223637_thumb.jpg

Buy a non-working 5200 from eBay cheap, take what you need, and toss the rest.

You don't toss the rest....

I've salvaged a TON of parts from a non working 5200 I've kept over the years to keep other Atari consoles up and running. Hell the POKEY alone is worth keeping if that still works!

Buy a non-working 5200 from eBay cheap, take what you need, and toss the rest.

Cheap? I dunno eBay prices can be a little steep.

You don't toss the rest....

I've salvaged a TON of parts from a non working 5200 I've kept over the years to keep other Atari consoles up and running. Hell the POKEY alone is worth keeping if that still works!

Yeah, that might be...

Fine. Toss the rest into a junk pile in the garage in case you need more parts later on.

... but I'm trying to downsize and I simply do not have the room to store a lot of stuff. I figured of all the places in the world to ask, there would be no better place of finding an Atari 5200 piece than in the AtariAge 5200 forum.

Honestly guys, one of the reasons I'm downsizing is due to issues with getting older. I'm trying to simplify things (while I can) and I no longer pickup my soldering iron for fine detailed work.

If you have a 4-port unit and I believe you do right? Then chances are, most of the ICs are already in sockets and make for easy swap outs when needed. Having said that, there are three things that I've found fail commonly in the 5200 over time:

1st is the small flip-flop chip by the power switch

2nd is the controller mux chips. Similar to how they go out on the CVs.

3rd is the RAM chips

Can't say that I've ever had to replace anything else other than those in most 5200s. The rest of it is really built like a tank.

Honestly guys, one of the reasons I'm downsizing is due to issues with getting older. I'm trying to simplify things (while I can) and I no longer pickup my soldering iron for fine detailed work.

I tend to save everything I can. Many of these vintage components just aren't made anymore. Once they're gone, they're gone. Granted, the 5200 still seems to be in relatively plentiful supply, compared to some vintage computer items.

Getting old is a pain, these days when I solder I have to do it under my binocular microscope.

I tend to save everything I can. Many of these vintage components just aren't made anymore. Once they're gone, they're gone. Granted, the 5200 still seems to be in relatively plentiful supply, compared to some vintage computer items.

Getting old is a pain, these days when I solder I have to do it under my binocular microscope.

I wear a jeweler's headband with the various magnification lenses on it LOL! Only way I can see some of the capacitor values since they are too tiny for my eyes to focus on anymore.

I just received a backup 5200 unit from shopgoodwill.com. Really cheap!

$21 for a working 4-port with PAC-MAN and two controllers.

That site beats eBay often. Plus, with goodwill the phrase “untested” means it’s really untested because they’re simply not the most knowledgeable folks and not the original owners.

I often ask them to do things specifically to test for power lights, boot screens, etc. I’ve NEVER received anything bricked from the goodwill site.

On eBay “untested” means they seller is trying to offload a bricked device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2