Photo

Opcode Update Request July 2018

81 replies to this topic

#76 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,013 posts

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2018 3:38 PM

Also, I am feeling a bit intrepid on the fate of the EM2 and Roller Controller with these new consoles.

Thankfully all the games that require these special controllers have been modified to work with standard controllers. I know it's not the same experience, but at least playing these controller modified versions is an option.

#77 bobstoned OFFLINE  

bobstoned

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:17 AM

Thankfully all the games that require these special controllers have been modified to work with standard controllers. I know it's not the same experience, but at least playing these controller modified versions is an option.

In terms of the full experience it looks increasingly like we'll have to hold on to our old crusty original consoles. Myself, as an arcade kid from the early eighties, I was always drawn to the special controllers on machines, most notably the flight yoke on Star Wars cabinets and the twist ratchet knob on Ikari Warriors (shooting backwards at an angle while moving forwards and vice versa).

As a young kid, it was the steering wheel in the Colecovision ads that really caught my attention as I'd never seen any company pushing that kind of arcade authenticity before ( and the screen shots of Zaxxon and Donkey Kong, I thought they were fake! , I couldn't believe it was possible to acheive in a home console).

My mum used to run a home catalogue ("Great Universal" in England I think) . We always got cool new electronics late, but this was a US based company so I got to see previews of them much earlier than most kids in the UK. This is how I pre-ordered the Lynx back in the day (wow that was expensive!). My mum thought I was mad, but she also had one eye on the commission :)

Edited by bobstoned, Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:24 AM.

#78 opcode OFFLINE  

opcode

River Patroller

• 4,294 posts
  • Bringing new life to your ColecoVision!

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:59 AM

Guys, not sure where that info about controller incompatibility came from, but Prometheus is compatible with any CV controller out there. The only "inconvenient" is that you will need a CV power supply in order to use the roller controller.

#79 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,622 posts

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:20 AM

The only "inconvenient" is that you will need a CV power supply in order to use the roller controller.

And in this case one of the upcoming CV USB Power Plug's will be ideal.

#80 Swami ONLINE  

Swami

Stargunner

• 1,805 posts

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:04 PM

Guys, not sure where that info about controller incompatibility came from, but Prometheus is compatible with any CV controller out there. The only "inconvenient" is that you will need a CV power supply in order to use the roller controller.

Sorry. There were a couple posts about the expansion port not being included, which is fine with me as it is only for the 2600 and adam expansions, which are just slightly smaller versions of the original consoles. There were a couple posts that wondered about the optical encoder modules that weren't answered, which I can understand, but brought about  the concern to me. It sounds like a great replacement for the ColecoVision. I can't think of any major additions that would likely be beneficial, except maybe a VCC powered genesis or Amiga controller port for expanded controller compatibility. I'm surprised no one has come up with a genesis pad adapter for the Colecovision yet, except for the Edladdin SAC+, which would be really elaborate for a genesis adapter.

The absence of the expansion port may hinder the development of new additions like the SGM in the future, but maybe there is a cheap way to add a similar kind of interface, like a USB port, that could (or not) be used for usb controllers. On the other hand, we've only had one new creation that used the expansion port in 30 years, so maybe it is superfluous. Other more engineering minded people would probably know more.

#81 Swami ONLINE  

Swami

Stargunner

• 1,805 posts

Posted Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:45 AM

And in this case one of the upcoming CV USB Power Plug's will be ideal.

It's shocking how small that thing is, I thought must just be an adapter for the real transformer.

#82 Lord Innit OFFLINE  

Lord Innit

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts
  • Cleaning up Liberty City.

Posted Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:14 AM

Ooh, I gotta get me one of those USB power plugs when it is released. Even though my power supply is fine, it takes up more space than I would like. Plus it is only a matter of time before it does go wrong.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users