Ultimate 1MB, Incognito, 1088XEL and SIDE/SIDE2 Firmware Update Released

U1MB Incognito SIDE SIDE2 1088XEL XEL-CF

111 replies to this topic

#101 Sugarland ONLINE  

Sugarland

Chopper Commander

• 172 posts

Posted Yesterday, 5:33 PM

You should be able to retrieve the individual images from a subdirectory where you are saving the workbook (tcw) too.

Thanks here are the three files attached.

Attached Files

• SS likes this

#102 Sugarland ONLINE  

Sugarland

Chopper Commander

• 172 posts

Posted Yesterday, 6:04 PM

It's probably me doing something wrong like using avgcart car files on the!cart but I don't know. Here is a video I just made  showing the symptom:

#103 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 10,512 posts

Posted Yesterday, 6:16 PM

All those work fine.  Flashed them as Test-Name to my v2 the!cart, played six waves of Robotron, first level of Commando and a qualifying lap for Pole Position.

Change your settings like this and try again (the most important ones being PBI etc turned off on the second page...)

Video Screenshot 2018-08-14 20-13-16.png    Video Screenshot 2018-08-14 20-13-21.png   

#104 Sugarland ONLINE  

Sugarland

Chopper Commander

• 172 posts

Posted Yesterday, 6:31 PM

Thank you remowilliams. I tried all those settings and the symptom remains. When I remove the U1MB the symptom is gone. I also tried it on a stock 1200XL with no U1MB and no problem there. I'll try another 800XL maybe it's the machine I don't know. Thanks again.

#105 mytek OFFLINE  

mytek

River Patroller

• 2,815 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:18 PM

I don't know if it was mentioned, but changing the 74LS08 chip for a 74F08 one often helps when adding upgrades to the system that cause flakeyness. It's a timing issue, with the LS chip being very close to the edge when it comes to speed (as in too slow). Might be worth a try :).

#106 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 4,462 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:36 PM

where do the 74hc08 and 74hct08 chips fall in terms of speed, capacitance and voltage (and tolerance) as opposed to the LS and F chips... I have some things rattling around my head about this and some thoughts long hashed over about the bus and pbi add ons...

#107 Sugarland ONLINE  

Sugarland

Chopper Commander

• 172 posts

Posted Today, 1:56 AM

I don't know if it was mentioned, but changing the 74LS08 chip for a 74F08 one often helps when adding upgrades to the system that cause flakeyness. It's a timing issue, with the LS chip being very close to the edge when it comes to speed (as in too slow). Might be worth a try :).

I have a feeling this is it thank you!! As a test, I will swap this chip between the two 800XL's first but also get the 74F08 as you suggest.  Will update here. No it wasn't mentioned here but I do remember seeing that chip brought up before here on AA.  Thank you again.

Edited by Sugarland, Today, 1:57 AM.

#108 Sugarland ONLINE  

Sugarland

Chopper Commander

• 172 posts

Posted Today, 2:04 AM

Oh and by the way, I got the other 800XL set up with the U1MB and it does not have the same lockup/stability issue. So it's certainly something with that first 800XL.

The new firmware seems great and amazing. Well except that basic does not disable when holding option down to select+reset cold boot. Basic forces itself on. :( :(  However if I go into the help+reset menu then press C to reboot while holding option down that works to disable basic. Any ideas on this please?

• SS likes this

#109 Sugarland ONLINE  

Sugarland

Chopper Commander

• 172 posts

Posted Today, 2:40 AM

Okay LMAO this is good. First I tried reseating the 74LS08. Nope didn't fix. Then I swapped the two 74LS08's between the machines. Nope. Then I put the 74LS08's back into their original machines and now it works better as in sometimes Robotron gets to actual gameplay!  Presumably reseating the chip cleared some corrosion on the legs. I will deoxit it tomorrow. Thank you mytek.  I just ordered two new Motorola 74F08N (close enough??).

#110 SS ONLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 6,003 posts

Posted Today, 4:45 AM

Oh and by the way, I got the other 800XL set up with the U1MB and it does not have the same lockup/stability issue. So it's certainly something with that first 800XL.

It does seem like the problem must be machine specific. I tried the files last night and could not replicate the problem no matter what configuration of cart & settings that I tried.

#111 mytek OFFLINE  

mytek

River Patroller

• 2,815 posts

Posted Today, 5:38 AM

Okay LMAO this is good. First I tried reseating the 74LS08. Nope didn't fix. Then I swapped the two 74LS08's between the machines. Nope. Then I put the 74LS08's back into their original machines and now it works better as in sometimes Robotron gets to actual gameplay!  Presumably reseating the chip cleared some corrosion on the legs. I will deoxit it tomorrow. Thank you mytek.  I just ordered two new Motorola 74F08N (close enough??).

Yep those will be fine, and hopefully make a positive difference for you :).

Edit: To answer The__Doctor's question in comparison to HC or HCT equivalent parts, those are meant to be pretty close to the same switching speed of an LS chip, just with a lower power spec. Depending upon manufacturer, sometimes they might be a bit faster, but not by much, and sometimes the LS part is still quicker. However the 74F series is definitely noticeably faster than any of these, and has proven itself to often times fix issues with phase2 clock latency which appears to be the real issue we are seeing in the A8.

#112 Sugarland ONLINE  

Sugarland

Chopper Commander

• 172 posts

Posted Today, 10:41 AM

It does seem like the problem must be machine specific. I tried the files last night and could not replicate the problem no matter what configuration of cart & settings that I tried.

Yes. Thank you very much for your help!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: U1MB, Incognito, SIDE, SIDE2, 1088XEL, XEL-CF

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users