Open-source C++ project template now available

C++ Strong-ARM ARM UnoCart-2600

5 replies to this topic

#1 ZackAttack OFFLINE  

ZackAttack

Dragonstomper

• 721 posts

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:48 PM

For those of you who would like to write 2600 games in C++ there is now a project template you can use to get started.

The following are required to build and run:

The template produces a simple bin which draws some skulls and lets you move around P0 with the joystick. You can create games up to 448KB in size and use as much of the 192KB of RAM as you'd like.

Currently there is no support for this file format in any emulators. You must test on actual hardware with the UnoCart-2600.

#2 Mr SQL OFFLINE  

Mr SQL

Stargunner

• 1,944 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:40 AM

Is it possible to create a version for the Harmony Encore that can compile the same source code? 

#3 ZackAttack OFFLINE  

ZackAttack

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 721 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 PM

Is it possible to create a version for the Harmony Encore that can compile the same source code? 

Possible, yes. Practical, no.

The two carts use completely different microcontrollers with completely different capabilities.

#4 Gemintronic OFFLINE  

Gemintronic

Jason S. - Lead Developer & CEO

• 9,037 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:24 PM

Is there any coordination with SpiceWare and his SpiceC project?

I think learning 2 different C implementations might explode my head.  <- My failing, obviously :)

#5 ZackAttack OFFLINE  

ZackAttack

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 721 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:41 PM

Is there any coordination with SpiceWare and his SpiceC project?

Not at this time. Good idea though.

#6 Mr SQL OFFLINE  

Mr SQL

Stargunner

• 1,944 posts

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:49 PM

Possible, yes. Practical, no.

The two carts use completely different microcontrollers with completely different capabilities.

High difficulty for you as the dev, but it would be very practical from a standpoint of expanding the userbase so that more people could play the C++ games.

I followed a similar approach with Flashback BASIC in order to enable SuperCharger games to run on the Portable console. You do end up coding to the LCD so you would lose some of the power from whichever processor is the strongest, but you could have special modes that trick out the stronger platform at the expense of compatibility in case the programmer needs all the capabilities.   

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: C++, Strong-ARM, ARM, UnoCart-2600

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users