ColecoVision & ADAM Computer Scans Repository

Coleco ColecoVision ADAM Computer

31 replies to this topic

#26 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,625 posts

Posted Sat Aug 4, 2018 5:49 PM

None that I have ever seen. The only sales figures I have seen were in magazines of the time and word of mouth from conversations with former Coleco employees.

I was just curious.  There has been a rather persistent person who has been trying to change the CV Wikipedia page to say that 6 million were sold but others, rightly so, undo their edits due to the complete lack of verifiable and reliable sources.

What's interesting is that I've reviewed the Coleco annual financial statements and they make no mention of CV sales figures in those either.  Seems that Coleco were very secretive in this regard.

#27 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,013 posts

Posted Sat Aug 4, 2018 7:50 PM

All I'm can say is that the 1 millionth CV system rolled off production lines on March '83, which was 8 months after the CV was released. Only a couple months later, production lines were in high gear with the ADAM Computer trying to get it to market early enough to take advantage of the X'mas '83 buying season which meant CV production slowed to  crawl before ramping up again.

So 6 million CVs does sound inflated, 2-2.5 million seems more reasonable thru January '85, but it's a number that I have heard before and roughly 950,000 ADAM's.

What would be interesting to know is whether CBS Electronics and Coleco of Canada ran their own production lines for the CV.

Attached Thumbnails

• Coleco sells 1 millionth CV - Summer 1983.jpg

#28 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,013 posts

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2018 3:30 PM

Second installment of Press Releases. Enjoy!

#29 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,625 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:41 PM

All I'm can say is that the 1 millionth CV system rolled off production lines on March '83, which was 8 months after the CV was released. Only a couple months later, production lines were in high gear with the ADAM Computer trying to get it to market early enough to take advantage of the X'mas '83 buying season which meant CV production slowed to  crawl before ramping up again.

So 6 million CVs does sound inflated, 2-2.5 million seems more reasonable thru January '85, but it's a number that I have heard before and roughly 950,000 ADAM's.

What would be interesting to know is whether CBS Electronics and Coleco of Canada ran their own production lines for the CV.

Yeah, that's one of the few places that I've seen a statement of CV units produced and I certainly agree that 6 million sounds inflated.

Just looked at my UK CBS ColecoVision and the base of it states "Made in Hong Kong" compared to all of my NTSC units stating "Made in USA".  The bottom shell of the case is also different to the NTSC models in that the RF cable is permanently attached (captive) instead of an RF socket.  Also of interest is that the ColecoVision cardboard box states "Packaged in the UK by the Ideal Toy Company".  So, looks like the manufacturing and packaging for the European models was done outside of the US and overseen by the Ideal Toy Company.  The CV wasn't released in Europe until around July 1983 and so the production figures referred to in the article you referenced doesn't include European sales.  So, I also suspect that the 2 to 2.5 million estimate that I've also heard others state doesn't include sales in Europe - but I obviously have no proof of that.

Oh, I should add that the Coleco Canada units that I have state "Made in USA" on the bottom and are identical to the units with the only exception of the dual language face plates and the packaging and paperwork.  I believe we can be fairly confident that these were produced by Coleco in the US and are included in the 1 million sales figure and future forecast sales.

Edited by Ikrananka, Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:43 PM.

#30 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,013 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:34 PM

Thanks for looking into all this. So with all that said, it's pretty fair to guesstimate at the very least 3 million CVs made by Coleco after all was said and done... committments made to distributors and systems thay were sold only with the styrofoam packing and or loose.

CVs made in Hong Kong for numerous European markets as well as others would be extremely hard to guesstimate, but I eould think that 1 million would be a low guess.

So, that 6 million figure could actually be a possibility if not slightly high.

#31 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,013 posts

Posted Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:45 PM

And some more Press Releases. Excuse me if there are any repeats, just how I organize my digital collection between CV and ADAM stuff.

Attached Files

#32 ed1475 OFFLINE  

ed1475

Dragonstomper

• 810 posts

Posted Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:57 PM

Wow! Coleco planned over 170 software titles for the ADAM according to the above posts "Coleco Introduces ADAM Software Lines" press release.  I think only about 35 or so titles were ever finished.

Edited by ed1475, Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:59 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Coleco, ColecoVision, ADAM Computer

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users