IGNORED

Nintendo nukes LoveRoms.com

youxia

The "f]]]" in the headline is a meaningless typo which wasn't supposed to be there at all. It's what happens when you try to eat and type at the same time :/ I don't know how to edit it out, it looks like lame attempt at a swearword, which it isn't.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/07/nintendo-to-rom-sites-forget-cease-and-desist-now-were-suing/

Nintendo is seeking serious money as relief for alleged damages, with the biggest number coming from "$150,000 for the infringement of each Nintendo copyrighted work and up to $2,000,000 for the infringement of each Nintendo trademark."

While I'm one of those infringing scoundrels I've never had a problem with the big companies doing what they're doing as long as it was within some reasonable limit. Occasional C&Ds and such were within this limit. This is a whole differnt ball game though, a totally scorched earth tactic.

It's easy to see that they're riding the high wave of the retro-craze, what with the Mini success and all that. The sad, hypocritical bit is that of course without all the emulators and rom sites that craze would most likely had never happened, since that's what mostly kept the retro gaming hobby alive and popular. It happened before with gog and abandonware sites, but at least they had enough sense (or perhaps not enough legal clout) to cut deals with most of these sites and settle down for links and advertising.

Perhaps the Big N should follow suit, instead of going for a ridiculous, nuclear law-suit, a la music moguls back in the day. And as long as all these games are not available for sale or streaming, this thing will go on anyway.

Edited by Tempest

​I only ever found out about loveroms when I went looking for a couple specific ROMs to dump onto my NES and SNES Classics, mostly because other "mainstream" rom sites had the sense to not host 1st party Nintendo software on there. And yeah, misleading clicks and lots of forced ads and pop-ups there.

I don't know that the people behind loverom have the kind of money Nintendo is asking for...what a freakshow.

​Nintendo just might be trying to make an example out of loveroms.

I never used that site since there are plenty of others to choose from. I can get just about anything I need from emuparadise and then I get the rest from doperoms or isozone for the ones I can't fine on emuparadise. Something I hate about isozone is it will only do one at a time and ALWAYS comes up with a crazy popup that often will freeze the entire internet and all tabs. Causing me to have to restart the internet/engine again and go tot he site and search again and restart the download.

Hasn't Nintendo always been this way? I remember working on a web directory a year ago; they had a specific rule saying not to list sites with Nintendo ROMs; they'd received CDAs in the past. If that directory hadn't been owned by a telecom company I could see Nintendo trying more drastic tactics. Or perhaps LoveROMs had simply ignored earlier warnings.

You mean the ones they developed themselves, or licensed and manufactured for others? I think they'll find a way without resorting to downloading from the internet.

It was a joke about how roms with the nes header were used by Nintendo. Fix your rolly eyes. ;)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-18-did-nintendo-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us

Edited by F34R
  • Like 2

It was a joke about how roms with the nes header were used by Nintendo. Fix your rolly eyes. ;)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-18-did-nintendo-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us

Believe whatever you want, but I'm leaving my emoji where it is. That's circumstantial evidence AT BEST. Check out the comments by "Der_tolle_Emil" under that article, they're more convincing to me.

Believe whatever you want, but I'm leaving my emoji where it is. That's circumstantial evidence AT BEST. Check out the comments by "Der_tolle_Emil" under that article, they're more convincing to me.

Either they used a rom they didn't dump, or they used open source code they didn't create to start their emulator and just so happened to use the same header. Either way, it was a tongue-in-cheek joke. Calm down.

• Like 1