IGNORED

7800 AV modding options?

tpugmire

I've been wondering a bit myself. Best Electronics actually sent me an AV mod kit when I bought a replacement 7800 power adapter, but I'm hesitant to try it, as I saw a video that 8-bit Guy did on the subject using a mod kit he bought from eBay. That one looked to be a little easier to set up, since it comes with a little PCB for the components. I'm curious to hear what others' opinions are on the subject.

The UAV is the best “easy” mod out there - composite and S-video in one tiny package with just a few wires to solder.

Unfortunately Bryan (the board’s creator/seller) is out and has no definitive plans to do more until he revises the design again in the future. No idea when that will be.

Until then, the various simple resistor/transistor type mods are all that’s available. Still pretty simple to install and better than RF, but not as good as a UAV.

• Like 1

I just picked up a 7800 and Id like to mod it to have at least composite. I hear that Crossbow is the man to go to for this stuff, but he appears to be out of the UAV boards. Are there any other options out there?

I sent you a PM...

I have a couple 7800s that need a fixing also. One is av modded and looks like garbage. Really dark picture if I remember right. Probably an easy fix.

You have any idea what mod it currently has installed?

I had a dark picture with the LHE along with other issues when I first used that board. Was never really happy with the results I got from it so I was very happy when the UAV and the Magic Knight S-video boards came out!

Hm...I wonder if Magic Knight still makes or has those 7800 s-video only boards still avail?

I just picked up this composite video mod: https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/shop/atari/deluxe-atari-composite-video-mod.html

It does not require any modification to the case as it fits where the RF is located. Uses a TRRS jack/cable (or at least appears to) to breakout the video and audio from a single jack.

Plan to install it in a week or so.

Edited by mattsoft

I had a dark picture with the LHE along with other issues when I first used that board. Was never really happy with the results I got from it so I was very happy when the UAV and the Magic Knight S-video boards came out!

Hm...I wonder if Magic Knight still makes or has those 7800 s-video only boards still avail?

No I don't know . How would I tell if I took the top off ? The picture is total crap to the point that you can hardly see the screen it is so dark .

No I don't know . How would I tell if I took the top off ? The picture is total crap to the point that you can hardly see the screen it is so dark .

Well...the LHE is pretty easy to identify if that is what was used. I would be pretty decent sized board that is installed in the area to the lower left of the cartridge port. The LHE mod board is about 3.5inches by almost 2 inches I think in size? Don't have it in front of me to know for sure. But it would have a logo on it that look like a cow steer head and would say something about Longhorn Engineering on it.

Other than that, I can't imagine why the picture would be that dark unless some wire has come loose inside the console that is part of the mod. Even though the LHE mod was darker than I liked, I could at least still see what was what for the most part on the screens.

I just picked up this composite video mod: https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/shop/atari/deluxe-atari-composite-video-mod.html

It does not require any modification to the case as it fits where the RF is located. Uses a TRRS jack/cable (or at least appears to) to breakout the video and audio from a single jack.

Plan to install it in a week or so.

Still requires the RF modulator and other components to be removed to use it.

the UAV doesn't require anything internally to actually be removed. You do end up having to cut the north leg leads from R5 and R6 to attache your audio from, but those can be reversed easily if needed in the future since they aren't removed from the board. If you wanted to remove the RF modulator, you could still install the composite without modding the case by using the RF output opening. You would need a washer or something to hold the composite RCA in place or if you wanted to use a TRRS jack you could. Honestly though, if you are wanting to mod the AV and anything else internally in the system, and it requires stuff to be removed, then it boggles my mind why you also have an issue with installing external AV jacks to use those mods? There are ways to minimize the case modifications and if you really wanted, you could still use the UAV and just attach cables that come out through the normal openings of the 7800 that have the composite and left/right audio and s-video from them.

the UAV doesn't require anything internally to actually be removed. You do end up having to cut the north leg leads from R5 and R6 to attache your audio from, but those can be reversed easily if needed in the future since they aren't removed from the board. If you wanted to remove the RF modulator, you could still install the composite without modding the case by using the RF output opening. You would need a washer or something to hold the composite RCA in place or if you wanted to use a TRRS jack you could. Honestly though, if you are wanting to mod the AV and anything else internally in the system, and it requires stuff to be removed, then it boggles my mind why you also have an issue with installing external AV jacks to use those mods? There are ways to minimize the case modifications and if you really wanted, you could still use the UAV and just attach cables that come out through the normal openings of the 7800 that have the composite and left/right audio and s-video from them.

I don't have an issue with anything, just thought I'd mention another option for composite video output that was a little different than the others. Take it or leave it. I do have the UAV on my 800XL and love it and would recommend it highly to anyone looking for adding s-video or cleaning up the video output in general.

Man, I hope Bryan does a new run soon. I never got around to buying the last two boards I wanted to from him (one for a 7800, one for a 5200). *sigh*

I don't have an issue with anything, just thought I'd mention another option for composite video output that was a little different than the others. Take it or leave it. I do have the UAV on my 800XL and love it and would recommend it highly to anyone looking for adding s-video or cleaning up the video output in general.

It cool and I didn't mean to come off half cocked if I did.

I'm not sure I agree with where they are pulling the audio from though. I think they are skipping the cart external audio by only grabbing from the base of R5 like that. So Pokey might not even be present or is likely low in volume compared to the TIA.

I'm not sure I agree with where they are pulling the audio from though. I think they are skipping the cart external audio by only grabbing from the base of R5 like that. So Pokey might not even be present or is likely low in volume compared to the TIA.

Hrmmm, thanks for this info. :thumbsup: I know there's only a couple games with POKEY audio, but i gots to have my Ballblazer! I found your 7800 mod guide and will use that as a guide for the audio. thanks!

Edited by mattsoft
  • Like 1

There is no direct HDMI mod for the 7800. The few weve seen posted here are using a combination of an s-video mod that is then connected to an s-video to HDMI scaler device all tucked inside a 7800 case.

Or some are just using the cheap transistor composite mod to an upscaler device. I know this as I removed one for Gorfcadet on the last 7800 I modded for him. He didn't like the picture he was getting from the HDMI setup that was done on it. It also had inconsistent and unbalanced audio on the pokey and tia so that we also corrected. I ended up restoring it back to factory minus the RF modulator since that had been removed, and installed a UAV into it instead.

I have heard of a few people that are actually using RPi devices to create an HDMI output solution. I've not seen anything step by step for it, but apparently that also exists. Basically the same concept except they send the various signals from the 7800 to an RPi and then have it convert and output to HDMI. I've been told some semi heavy reading on the google 'verse' will yield this information but honestly the output from the composite and s-video from a UAV has served me more than well enough.

Here are some photos of this one in particular .

post-30396-0-33319900-1533075981_thumb.jpg

post-30396-0-85723300-1533076016_thumb.jpg

post-30396-0-91495700-1533076028_thumb.jpg