IGNORED

Do you support CollectorVision licensing ColecoVision from Cardillo/Coleco

nick3092

Do you support CollectorVision licensing ColecoVision from Cardillo/Coleco Holdings  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Regardless if if you will/will not buy the new CollectorVision system, do you support CollectorVision entering into a licensing agreement with Cardillo/Riverwest/Dormitus/whatever they call themselves these days.

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Licencing the original ColecoVision logo*

Woah, hold on there partner. Before I did the poll, I specifically posed the question:

"Regardless if if you will/will not buy the new CollectorVision system..."

And you agreed to it. Even told me to go right ahead and run the poll (which I did verbatim). Now you want the caveat of only if you are going to buy it? Not cool.

This all spawned from you saying I was in the minority about not liking the fact you set up a licensing deal with Cardillo. Again, no caveat as to purchasing or not.

You trying to add on this caveat is not fair game to what I originally proposed.

Question still stands as posed. Regardless if you were going to purchase or not, do you agree?

Edit: Also, as I understand it, you licensed the logo and some games.

Edited by nick3092

Woah, hold on there partner. Before I did the poll, I specifically posed the question:

"Regardless if if you will/will not buy the new CollectorVision system..."

And you agreed to it. Even told me to go right ahead and run the poll (which I did verbatim). Now you want the caveat of only if you are going to buy it? Not cool.

This all spawned from you saying I was in the minority about not liking the fact you set up a licensing deal with Cardillo. Again, no caveat as to purchasing or not.

You trying to add on this caveat is not fair game to what I originally proposed.

Question still stands as posed. Regardless if you were going to purchase or not, do you agree?

Edit: Also, as I understand it, you licensed the logo and some games.

Whatever, I'm fine

Whoops. To be fair and open, I copied and pasted my reply from the other thread. The other thread you specifically said:

"as long as it's people REALLY interested in buying the system

Will worth was is worth, no matter the result"

Which is why I pasted the reply I did here. Without that context my last post seems disjointed. I thought you posted the same in both the poll and the other thread. So my apologies for the odd reply.

Either way, you agreed to the question, verbatim.

Edited by nick3092

I wouldn't want to enable or encourage Dormitus's bad behavior by giving them money or attention. Nor would I want to give them anything that enhances the value of the dead brand they dug up and claimed as their own.

If anything, they should be paying Collectorvision for content under their dubious brand.

• Like 10

I have never set up a poll before. Have no idea if this is correct. See above.

You should add "Don't care one way or the other" to your selection of possible answers.

Suffice it to say that what Cardillo and Friends did to TPR, Opcode and numerous others around here was and still is complete bunk. He should pay dearly and was glad to see his Coleco Expo fail dramatically, but CollectorVision is free to deal with whomever they want.

• Like 3

You should add "Don't care one way or the other" to your selection of possible answers.

Suffice it to say that what Cardillo and Friends did to TPR, Opcode and numerous others around here was and still is complete bunk. He should pay dearly and was glad to see his Coleco Expo fail dramatically, but CollectorVision is free to deal with whomever they want.

The purpose of the poll is not to tell CV who to deal with. Ultimately they are free to deal with who ever they wish. As is everyone here free to buy or not buy their system (which if you go read the original thread, I said I most likely would despite my objections).

The poll ultimately came from him saying I was in the minority of saying the community believes they shouldn't deal with them. This poll is here to settle that argument. Nothing more, nothing less.

That being said, I would argue that if you don't care, then that is a vote for support of the agreement. Indifference means you are ok with the status quo. Which as of right now is CV going through with a licensing agreement.

• Like 3

I don't like the deal, but that is their right, of course. More power to 'em. I can choose not to support it. That's all I have control over. I have a functioning ColecoVision and an SGM so, for now, I'm not in the market for their HD option. Maybe someday down the road.

One thing I would like to say (knowing it will cause yet more drama) tho'; I really don't like CollectorVision constantly throwing shade at OpCode. That's something they have control over, but they can't seem to help themselves. I think it's a poor look, and it makes me not particularly want to do business with them. Unfortunately, the market for Coleco homebrew stuff is pretty small, so my wants may be outweighed by my needs.

The pissing contest is getting old and seems to be pushing OpCode away, which serves no one. The CV guys should maybe try to stay out of OpCode threads or refrain from their cheap shots when promoting their own products. You don't have to tear others down to build yourselves up. Maybe think twice about how your actions make you look to potential customers.

I can only hope that SGM games keep getting made at a reasonable pace now that I have one. It will up to me, ultimately, if my desires outweigh my feelings.

• Like 5

I don't care because Cardillo and Friends do not exist to me and by constantly bringing him up on these forums, you are giving him relevance. Ignore him and Dormitus/River West Brands and they eventually fade away.

Do I think that CollectorVision should have acquired a license for their CV HD system? No, I do not, but it is not my place to tell CollectorVision what they should and shouldn't do. They have their reasons just like Opcode did at one time for working with them re. the license acquired concerning the Super Game Module.

There's been way too much drama in the CV Scene throughout the years especially considering how small it is. It's high time all this crap ends so that those that like to fan the flames, CAN'T.

• Like 5

I don't care because Cardillo and Friends do not exist to me and by constantly bringing him up on these forums, you are giving him relevance. Ignore him and Dormitus/River West Brands and they eventually fade away.

Do I think that CollectorVision should have acquired a license for their CV HD system? No, I do not, but it is not my place to tell CollectorVision what they should and shouldn't do. They have their reasons just like Opcode did at one time for working with them re. the license acquired concerning the Super Game Module.

There's been way too much drama in the CV Scene throughout the years especially considering how small it is. It's high time all this crap ends so that those that like to fan the flames, CAN'T.

I agree the community is split. And I hate it. It's all completely down to two competing hardware platforms and SGM support.

Here is my theory (as alluded to in the thread in the CV forum). Help each other out.

Let CV do their Coleco compatable console, and take whatever licensing fee they were going to pay Cardillo and pay OC instead. OC lets them have SGM support.

Then when Omni is released by OC, give CV a year window of exclusive releases (outside of a launch line up from OC, only fair - it is his platform after all).

Each side gives, each side takes. And there is no hardware computation and each is free to develop for CV or Omni as they see fit.

Edited by nick3092

Do I think that CollectorVision should have acquired a license for their CV HD system? No, I do not, but it is not my place to tell CollectorVision what they should and shouldn't do.

I think it's important to voice an opinion about this. This is a product that wouldn't be made if it wasn't for this community and I see as being a "Made by fans for fans" type of project. CollectorVision can still do what they want, but I think the community having some input is important.

They have their reasons just like Opcode did at one time for working with them re. the license acquired concerning the Super Game Module.

To be fair, Eduardo also could have re-negotiated with Coleco to keep the branding on the SGM, be he pulled it. And I personally think that was the right thing to do.

There's been way too much drama in the CV Scene throughout the years especially considering how small it is.

I agree with this. I'm a bit annoyed that CollectorVision is bringing this Cardillo drama back into the light when it was really starting to settle down. I want to support their system because I think it is exactly what this community needs. I just wish they wouldn't have decided to dance with the devil.

• Like 8

One thing I would like to say (knowing it will cause yet more drama) tho'; I really don't like CollectorVision constantly throwing shade at OpCode. That's something they have control over, but they can't seem to help themselves. I think it's a poor look, and it makes me not particularly want to do business with them. Unfortunately, the market for Coleco homebrew stuff is pretty small, so my wants may be outweighed by my needs.

100% and defines who I support

• Like 1

I am a little bit of an outsider to the CV forums. I did follow the strong arming thing quite a bit.

I don't like what Cardillo did.

That being said....

I think most people would be excited to see the logo of a system they loved on a system they created. So I don't blame them.

I am not sure why this forum is so split. I don't know all the history or whatever nor do I care right at the moment. I think we should be happy to have any new system come out that can play the old games and/or do a little more than that.

• Like 2

I am not sure why this forum is so split.

Because "Coleco Holdings" is being run by a totally shady character who has been cancerous to this community and it makes me, and apparently I'm not alone in this, question CollectorVision's business ethics by even entertaining the idea of using their logo after everything that has been done to date. I am not even just talking about what happened in the "Strong Arming" thread, but also remember that, along with several other examples, Opcode was given the option to continue using the logo, but removed it based on their dealings with Cardillo and Coleco Holdings.

I also do not think it's right to be basically "Knocking Off" the SGM in their system. IMO, that's no better than what Fred was doing with his Juicebox. Eduardo has done a lot for this community and I think CollectorVision owes him the respect to try to come to an agreement to use the SGM "officially" in their system.

IMO, there are two wrongs with the CollectorVision system right now that need to be fully addressed for the community to 100% support it. And I wish I didn't have to say this, because I think that the CollectorVision system is exactly what the community needs, but I am smelling greed coming from CollectorVision taking priority over wanting to do something good for the community and I don't think that is a good look for those guys.

I like what CollectorVision has done for the community in the past, but I'm not "okay" with how things are moving forward.

• Like 9

I remember hearing promotion for the Coleco Expo. What happened? Did the event actually happen?

Edited by Hannacek

I remember hearing promotion for the Coleco Expo. What happened? Did the event actually happen?

Did not repeat this year. AA boycott likely responsible. Odd ensemble of vendors to fill what booths they could. Window sales? Gnome hats?

Did not repeat this year. AA boycott likely responsible. Odd ensemble of vendors to fill what booths they could. Window sales? Gnome hats?

There are 2 or 3 Retro Game Conventions in New Jersey alone, not to speak of Pennsylvania, New York, and other places within driving distance. Did they think people would want to have a convention based on Cabbage Patch Kids, and the Talking ALF doll?