IGNORED

Replacement 2600 connector?

7800fan

With 3D printing, replacement guide is easy but where would I get a suitable 12/24 pins card edge connector? The ones I've looked at all has short pins which meant the game PCB will not reach the connector inside. I can't seem to find a connector that has long pin that would fit 2600 cart and still be able to connect to PCB.

Also does someone have a 3D printable file that I can use? Something like the one used on common 4 switch console?

I am trying to recreate a 2600 board from scratch with built in AV support (no more useless RF modulator), built in pause, and with option for built in controller for portable use. And built in lipo support to run it as portable or with external 5v source via USB.

PS another quirk I ran into when I was designing a new 2600 board: oscillator. Atari 2600 uses 3.579575 but this is incredibly hard to find anywhere outside of Atari 2600 spare part source like Best Electronics. However 3.579545 MHz is very easy to find. After some digging, this should be fine because the difference is only 10 PPM and a typical crystal has tolerance of 20-30 PPM.

Seems Atari went with the odd frequency because: 3.579545 MHz is for NTSC interlaced, and 3.579575 MHz is for NTSC noninterlaced.

http://www.rennes.supelec.fr/ren/fi/elec/docs/tvnum/i852_c.pdf Atari choose noninterlaced and doubled the scans to fake 480 resolution, FWIW someone was able to produce a test ROM that can do true 480 but it used too much processing power to be of use so (AFAIK) it was never used even in newer homebrewn.

Modern TV tended to be more picky about old standard, maybe using the internaced frequency crystal would make some TV work while still staying with 2600's spec?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have created an STL file for the connector housing, but it is not designed to fit inside the console.

https://hackaday.io/project/113217-atari2600-cartridge-reader

I have two variants: for the original connector and for a connector I found on ebay.

PM me if you can use the STL files as-is.

222141522517288758.png

Search ebay for Industrial Card Edge Slot Socket Connector 12x2P 24P 2.54mm 0.1" 3A 240-24

This connector pins are not long enough, so you need to extend the pins with some machined female headers.

Has anyone had success installing this exact connector in their atari2600?

Edited by keoni29