IGNORED

HSC15 Round 14: Dark Chambers

Dark Chambers

dark_chambers_5.gif

Another one of the later Atari games that I've not played, and it's new to the HSC so looking forward to this, what do I know about the game? Well there are some chambers and they are dark, so probably they are perfectly safe to go exploring :grin:

Links Atarimania - Fandal

@RT - any advice on difficulty level - play on the defaults?

Join in - play and post scores ;)

Round closes Sunday 12th August 10pm UK time

Alley cat will be back!

• Like 1

EDIT: 325,390 - level V

Have fun running between indestructible monster generators in a small hallway on level U! I second the advice of saving your bombs for the higher levels.

I actually kind of like this game. It's a bit slow in the early levels, and you can get all the powerups too soon, but... there's something about it. Maybe I just enjoy blasting the monsters to bits.

I find this version a lot more difficult than the 7800 or 2600 versions!

post-6856-0-07487900-1532918860_thumb.jpg

Couple of hints: don't use the key on Level A. The room that opens contains a shield and a silver chalice. You can get the shield on the very next level, and the silver chalice is only worth a few hundred points. Hold onto that key until you REALLY need it on the higher levels. As far as I can tell, this is the only key that is "optional", meaning it doesn't need to be used to exit the level on which it's found.

You can sometimes shoot through gaps between two bricks that only touch at a single corner. You have to be firing UPWARD to the left or right (it doesn't work if you're firing down), and you have to move your player as far into the corner as he will go. The enemy must also be in the corner on the opposite side. As long as you do this, you can kill enemies but they can't hurt you. Good for thinning out the enemies before you enter a room.

In the higher levels with indestructible spawners, you'll need to start using your bombs. (You did save some, right?) Detonate a bomb and then run. You may take a few hits, but it's better than fighting and getting swarmed by a bunch of reapers.

I think that mapping will become important as you reach levels T and above. There are so many indestructible spawners that taking a wrong turn and passing through these areas more than once may drain too much of your health. You'll need to know exactly where to go in order to survive.

Edited by graywest
  • Like 2

54290. I literally died from tedium, just couldn't go on and did kamikaze things. I'm not sure I have your mental stamina to persevere and get to the more exciting levels (and higher scores). Start missing Computer War :P and also have a strange itch to play Gauntlet now....

How did this get voted in over Alley Cat is beyond me :D

God that's a boring game, wish i hadn't voted for it now and we could have been playing alley cat!

All Dandy/Gauntlet type games are boring (for me) in the final analysis.

At least Gauntlet (in the arcade) had speech and an interesting array of characters, levels, and options.

All Dandy/Gauntlet type games are boring (for me) in the final analysis.

At least Gauntlet (in the arcade) had speech and an interesting array of characters, levels, and options.

They are really multiplayer games, Dandy with 2 or even 4 players is a real hoot - 2 players controlling 2 characters at the same time is cool too ;)

OK Play Dark Chambers on ADVANCED everyone :thumbsup:

• Like 1

They are really multiplayer games, Dandy with 2 or even 4 players is a real hoot - 2 players controlling 2 characters at the same time is cool too ;)

I agree that they're more fun when playing with another person; that's how we used to play Gauntlet on the NES.

I'm not saying I don't like these kind of games at all; I've played them all, off and on, for short and moderate periods of time; and I've played Gauntlet and

Dark Chambers for fairly long, just to see how things are as stages progress. I think I may have even finished Dark Chambers.

• Like 2

Dark Chambers (Advanced) - 53320 pts, level F

I find this game to be a mix of Gateway to Apshai and Shamus. Agreed I haven't played Gauntlet for any amount, so perhaps I'm missing an element of comparison.

post-5454-0-21021100-1532987584.jpg

Regarding the hints posted by Graywest, I find that the only items on fixed locations are the keys. The rest are more or less randomly placed, including health items and staircases. Quite a couple of times, I found the staircase on level A to be behind the locked door so I need to use the key right away. Of course in cases where things are placed elsewhere, you can keep keys and bombs.

• Like 1

Dark Chambers (Advanced) - 53320 pts, level F

I find this game to be a mix of Gateway to Apshai and Shamus. Agreed I haven't played Gauntlet for any amount, so perhaps I'm missing an element of comparison.

I'd say it reminds me of Demon Stalkers. I know DS was on C64 as well as DOS, but don't believe Atari got a port of it.

I'd say it reminds me of Demon Stalkers. I know DS was on C64 as well as DOS, but don't believe Atari got a port of it.

I never saw/played that game neither, after 30++ years of C64 gaming. Though I see on GB64 there are quite a number of games in the Gauntlet category of which Demon Stalkers (1987) and a few more visually look very much alike Dark Chambers (1988). I suppose it is more of a coincidence they may look alike, rather than Atari would be copying Electronic Arts here.

IMG_20180731_140552.jpg

1235430. Advanced level. Thought it may be bit more fun on harder difficulty, but not really. I won't try again, it's just not my cup of tea. Not a totally bad game per se but perhaps not really suited for HS attacks.

Now, Chambers of Zorp, that's the real deal. Love it :) Intense from the get go, simple but clever design, in short - a classic. Got around ~13K atm but will try for more definitely.

• Like 2