• 163 posts

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:32 AM

I need to keep track of this...

#52 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,641 posts

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:21 PM

I thought I'd provide an update for everyone following the news on this highly anticipated game! :-)

I'm happy to announce that ZeroPage Homebrew will be exclusively debuting TWO new WIP games from Dan Kitchen on an upcoming Twitch livestream!!

1) Keystone Kapers 2 (aka Keystone Cannonball): The game will be written completely from scratch with a new name. "The train will be a runaway circus train with various exotic animals to avoid. Each level ends when the player locates a varying number of engine parts that have been scattered in and around the train cars and makes their way to the locomotive to stop the train before time runs out."
2) Bon Voyage:  "Activision-style game where the player pilots the Titanic from Southampton to the Americas"

You can check out the links in my signature to keep updated on the details as I get them from Dan. :-) I'm really looking forward to playing these two work-in-progress games for you live on an upcoming episode of ZeroPage!!

Exciting development. Keep us posted. :grin: :thumbsup:

#53 Greg2600 OFFLINE  

Greg2600

River Patroller

• 2,964 posts

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:13 PM

Lovely!  Dan actually dropped by Digital Press on Saturday to present the prototype to the NVGM, but I missed him by a few minutes!

#54 accousticguitar OFFLINE  

accousticguitar

Quadrunner

• 6,941 posts
  • Sherlock made it to 15 before he left us.

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:50 PM

Nice! I hope you will let us know when the games are finished and ready for sale.

#55 cimmerian OFFLINE  

cimmerian

Chopper Commander

• 240 posts

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:43 PM

Lovely!  Dan actually dropped by Digital Press on Saturday to present the prototype to the NVGM, but I missed him by a few minutes!

Oh wow, that would have been amazing to have been there for, too bad you missed it!

Nice! I hope you will let us know when the games are finished and ready for sale.

Yes, I will definitely keep everyone updated as Dan passes me the new builds of the games for livestreaming on my Twitch channel!

#56 Swami ONLINE  

Swami

River Patroller

• 2,028 posts

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:29 PM

Oh wow, that would have been amazing to have been there for, too bad you missed it!

Yes, I will definitely keep everyone updated as Dan passes me the new builds of the games for livestreaming on my Twitch channel!

Don't let him disappear like others.

#57 Greg2600 OFFLINE  

Greg2600

River Patroller

• 2,964 posts

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:23 PM

Ha ha, it was very discrete, but I did see the cart.  Wanted to speak to Dan, but I should have another shot soon, he's local.

#58 Crimefighter OFFLINE  

Crimefighter

Dragonstomper

• 943 posts

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:12 PM

Gee, I must had hit the lottery when I encountered him having never been to Dallas...

#59 TikiDan OFFLINE  

TikiDan

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:07 PM

Dan Kitchen here.  I want to thank everyone in the forum for their accolades and comments regarding the discovery of my Keystone Kapers II ROM!  Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have about that game and any others I've developed over the years.  I'll be posting information about my new Keystone game in the very near future.

All the best,

Dan

#60 Greenfuzz OFFLINE  

Greenfuzz

Star Raider

• 66 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:31 PM

Great to see you here, Dan. Lets get the obvious questions out of the way:
1) When do you anticipate Keystone Kapers 2 and Bon Voyage to be available to purchase?
2) Will they be complete box/cartridge/manual releases?
3) Do you ever plan to release the ROM for the original Keystone Kapers 2, for us collectors that are interested in it from a historical perspective?
4) Were you working on any other games that werent released, or did you have ideas for games you never had the time to begin programming for?

Welcome!

#61 McCallister OFFLINE  

McCallister

Dragonstomper

• 768 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:47 PM

Thank you for showing up here and offering to take questions! Loved your games as a kid and am looking forward to this new one.

#62 TikiDan OFFLINE  

TikiDan

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:53 PM

Hey Greenfuzz,

Nice to meet you!

In answer to your questions:

1) When do you anticipate Keystone Kapers 2 and Bon Voyage to be available to purchase?

DK - I expect Keystone Kapers 2 to be available for purchase in November of this year.  Bon Voyage before Christmas.

2) Will they be complete box/cartridge/manual releases?

DK - Yes, I plan to have the games available in complete boxes with manuals.  I'll also have Activision-style patches available for high score plateaus.

3) Do you ever plan to release the ROM for the original Keystone Kapers 2, for us collectors that are interested in it from a historical perspective?

DK - Yes, after Keystone 2 is released I'll make the prototype ROM image available.

4) Were you working on any other games that weren't released, or did you have ideas for games you never had the time to begin programming for?

DK - Yes actually.  At Activision I had a complete game we called the "Levee Game".  Keystone Kelly appeared in a yellow rain slicker running around ladders and platforms repairing cracks that would appear in a background Hoover Dam-style image complete with warning lights and a beautiful sun setting on the distant reservoir .  The screen kernels were written such that I could change the background color on every scan line so the entire screen would slowly fill up with water if the player couldn't cement the cracks in time.  There was also a mechanic to "empty" the water on the player's side of the dam to keep the game going.  I'm hopeful that I can locate a ROM of that game in the future.

I do have other games I plan to release early next year and will have information about these next titles later in the year.

Thanks again for your interest and questions!

Mahalo!

Edited by TikiDan, Yesterday, 8:54 PM.

#63 sramirez2008 ONLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,446 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Yesterday, 10:00 PM

The “Levee Game” sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, very exciting to hear that the new games will have Activision-style patches.

#64 Rom Hunter OFFLINE  

Rom Hunter

VCS Games Archivist

• 8,910 posts
  • Obtainer of Rare Antiquities

Posted Today, 9:10 AM

DK - Yes, after Keystone 2 is released I'll make the prototype ROM image available.

I'm a happy man.

Thanks, Dan!

8)

#65 davidcalgary29 ONLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 5,712 posts

Posted Today, 9:25 AM

Have any more details been released about Bon Voyage? It sounds alternately ghoulish and delightful.

#66 TikiDan OFFLINE  

TikiDan

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Today, 11:22 AM

Bon Voyage will definitely be a voyage into the unknown... 

#67 atarilovesyou ONLINE  

atarilovesyou

River Patroller

• 2,430 posts

Posted Today, 11:31 AM

Wow, Dan Kitchen! What an honour to have you here, can't wait to see what's in store. Just one question, ok, a few!...after such a long time away from programming for the VCS, what was it like to get back into it? Fun, frustrating, bit of both? One of the things I loved about that era was how literally one programmer could be responsible for a game in its entirety...something almost unheard of today. Do you think that if some of the other OGs from back then decided to program new games for the VCS, could lightening strike twice? I know I would surely support something like that. Thanks again!

Edited by atarilovesyou, Today, 11:32 AM.

#68 TikiDan OFFLINE  

TikiDan

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Today, 12:07 PM

Hi atarilovesyou!

Thanks for sending me a comment and thank you for all your accolades!

Programming the VCS is "just like riding a bike".  I was amazed at how quickly I remembered the system considering I've programmed many other games for other systems in the last 35 years. (I can't believe it's been that long!!!).

It was a unique time in video game history where one programmer could do everything.  That's possible these days only if one is creating a very simple mobile app, but once graphics are involved, an artist is required.  However, I did work with one chap in the late 1980's who was so talented he drew all the graphics for the Nintendo Game Boy game he programmed.

I have been speaking to a few of the original designers about possibly joining me at TikiVision to revive the 2600 with new games.  I'm hopeful some will jump in.

Thanks again for all your interest!

Dan

3 user(s) are browsing this forum

3 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users