IGNORED

1088XEL Videos

I'm playing around with my 1088XEL and made 2 small videos I thought I would share...

First, the 1088XEL failing 2 of the Acid tests:

Second, a video showing the composite vs the DVI output of the Sophia on the 1088:

The DVI from the sophia and the v-gate in the 1088 creates a rock-solid output on the LCD panel, but there are some drop-outs you can see from time to time in the games. It's a very differnet look than you get from a nice composite video, and for games the composite seems better. For anything text based the DVI is much easier on the eyes (in 40 col).

I'm waiting to get a composite to USB capture plug for my mac and will then capture more stable videos of some interesting things. Also there is no audio beacuse I don't have any external speakers!

• Like 4

Good advice. Once I get some sound from the Atari on these I'll add some voice. They are really missing something when there is no sound from the games.

To be absolutely clear: It would be good to hear the audio from the Atari, but we also want to hear YOUR voice NARRATING what you are showing.

In proper English please. :)

• 1 month later...

? con 80 works on all regular Atari's I own on crt's and lcd's is that a failing of the monitor you showed on or is something not right with the video out or something about video upgrade board or perhaps a vbxe driver in place of standard driver? I know in order for all of them to be working in sparta there is an order they need to be in the config

Edited by _The Doctor__

Here's a video with a 1088XEL in it. I will post more "proof of life" videos to my channel from now on. The other ones have identifying information in them. The ones I do now just have a first name (sometimes they do not even have that!)

Nice vid.

I noticed that the VBXE works much better than the Sophia in terms of blanking. The sophia in my 1088 blanks for a second or two all the time and it's annoying.

Edited by massiverobot

Nice vid.

I noticed that the VBXE works much better than the Sophia in terms of blanking. The sophia in my 1088 blanks for a second or two all the time and it's annoying.

What exactly do you mean about the Sophia blanking all the time? Can please you elaborate on this.

BTW, all my Sophia's work great (2 RGB and 3 DVI) :) .

Edit: I went back and watched your video and can see what you are talking about where the screen momentarily turns black while one of the game menus is onscreen. I've never seen that myself, but it could be related to the particular Sophia core you are using and/or that particular monitor that is sensitive to the timing coming out of the 1088XEL. Actually I'm pretty certain it isn't just limited to the XEL, and would likely reveal itself in the same way if you were to transplant the Sophia, with that GTIA, over to a stock A8. In fact you might want to do that as a confirmation.

Which one? There are so many different versions running the same chipset, and a lot of those don't work under Win10 because they don't have signed drivers.

This one. I haven't used it in a few months but I just plugged it in and it's still recognized. Win10 (64-bit, Home edition) says it's working normally and ready to roll. I don't have a composite or S-video source handy to test right away - my elderly orange cat is sitting on my lap and declines to let me get up just now. OBS still recognizes it and lets me add it to scenes as well.

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 1