Photo

90's Sam Tramiel Video

14 replies to this topic

#1 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Stargunner

• 1,356 posts

Posted Wed Aug 1, 2018 9:56 AM

Sam sums up video game history & plugs the Jaguar. Anyone know of a longer/better quality version of this?

#2 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

Cotton Headed

• 14,862 posts
  • Ninny Muggins

Posted Wed Aug 1, 2018 10:06 AM

I don't have any video of Sam, but I can tell you how the story ends.  :P

But seriously, neat find. I had never seen him speak before. 

#3 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,356 posts

Posted Wed Aug 1, 2018 1:34 PM

Another 90's talk with Sam Tramiel. According to the description he's talking about getting the Jaguar online. I can't understand everything he's saying; too much echo.

Edited by pacman000, Wed Aug 1, 2018 1:38 PM.

#4 Zerosquare OFFLINE  

Zerosquare

River Patroller

• 2,744 posts

Posted Wed Aug 1, 2018 10:33 PM

Sam sums up video game history & plugs the Jaguar.

His point about Nintendo's "monopolistic practices" is pretty funny when you know that they actually offered Atari the opportunity to handle distribution of the NES. Atari declined, and the rest is history.

#5 Pete5125 OFFLINE  

Pete5125

Moonsweeper

• 432 posts

Posted Thu Aug 2, 2018 3:04 AM

His point about Nintendo's "monopolistic practices" is pretty funny when you know that they actually offered Atari the opportunity to handle distribution of the NES. Atari declined, and the rest is history.

true in hindsight that was a bad move on ataris end but the 5200 had just came out 2 yrs previous to this without backwards compatibility and that was one of the main reasons consumers listed for it being a nonpurchase, adding a extra device that costed near the price of a 2600 as an adapter to play games didnt help, so atari didnt want to be in same situation with nes. add to that they had a similar system better in some ways 7800 ready to launch, and nintendo if successful had a normal nintendo deal that benefited them more than atari, i could see walking away.

granted knowing the success of nes and assuming atari launched nes could have same success atari taking the table scraps of money nintendo was offering would of kept them a strong company and changed history, tamells would of never bought the company, and the pc line wouldn't of been priority to stomp c64 into the ground.

kerp in mind years later nintendo made the same mistake twice 1st launching the failure Phillips cdi, then the success sony PlayStation. all because nintendo wanted a snes cd drive and backed out of agreement at last minute.

if sony was under nes belt immagine the last 2 decades could be completely different as sony changed all the rules

#6 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,356 posts

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2018 7:06 AM

Leonard Tramiel talking about the Jaguar's architecture. Using transparencies, he compares the system bus to a highway. Apparently from their 1st press conference about the Jaguar. Hard to believe it would end within 4 years. :(

#7 CyranoJ ONLINE  

CyranoJ

Quadrunner

• 5,549 posts
  • RAPTOR in LOCAL

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2018 7:40 AM

he compares the system bus to a highway.

Maybe the M25 lol.

#8 LinkoVitch OFFLINE  

LinkoVitch

River Patroller

• 2,580 posts

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2018 10:42 AM

Maybe the M25 lol.

Dunno, the M6 is probably a pretty good analogy too, full of collisions and restrictions

#9 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,356 posts

Posted Sat Aug 4, 2018 6:28 AM

Alright, here it is. This appears to be a complete video of Atari's 1993 press conference.

It looks so empty. :(

#10 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 3,501 posts

Posted Sat Aug 4, 2018 8:24 AM

Alright, here it is. This appears to be a complete video of Atari's 1993 press conference.

It looks so empty. :(

Thanks for sharing.

There are a lot of empty chairs at that conference.

#11 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,356 posts

Posted Sat Aug 4, 2018 10:14 AM

Judging by the thumbnails it might have filled up once things started. Haven't watched it yet.

#12 DracIsBack OFFLINE  

DracIsBack

Quadrunner

• 5,704 posts

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2018 9:28 AM

It's not even remotely as simple as that

#13 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 3,501 posts

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:01 AM

It doesn't look like the Atari presentations impressed everybody:

'Richard Millar was sitting right next to Sam Tramiel. I've been in similar
conferences, and believe me, you don't say anything that the boss doesn't
want you to say when you're in such a situation.

I found the delphi conference to be singularly uniformative. Same old
marketing-type hypeola, no substantive information. And replication
of some of the more stupid lies, so I find it difficult to trust the
information there any more than any other marketing "opportunity".

I'm looking forward to being able to get my hands on a *real* Jaguar.
An afternoon with a screwdriver and inspection lamp will tell a whole
lot more of the story than anything I've seen here, there, or anywhere.'

Michael Farren of Psygnosis there.

#14 SupremeEnchanter OFFLINE  

SupremeEnchanter

Space Invader

• 19 posts

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:43 PM

He was right.  The US justice department about gave Nintendo the death nod and ban them from doing business in the US.  They reached a deal last minute.

#15 empsolo OFFLINE  

empsolo

Moonsweeper

• 463 posts

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:21 AM

He was right.  The US justice department about gave Nintendo the death nod and ban them from doing business in the US.  They reached a deal last minute.

They reached a deal because a jury came back in Nintendo’s favor in the Atari Corp lawsuit and that spooked the feds into thinking they couldn’t win a case in open court. Remember the Justice Department only tries cases they are damn sure they can win and I don’t think they thought a ban would survive a jury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users