IGNORED

What Was The 7800 Launch Video Games?

Atariboy2600

According to this link https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games.html, the titles are:

Asteroids

Centipede
Desert Falcon
Dig Dug
Food Fight
Galaga
Joust
Ms. Pac-Man
Pole Position II
Robotron: 2084
Xevious
  • Like 5

According to this link https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games.html, the titles are:

Asteroids

Centipede

Desert Falcon

Dig Dug

Food Fight

Galaga

Joust

Ms. Pac-Man

Pole Position II

Robotron: 2084

Xevious

That's not correct. Desert Falcon has a color label, so it couldn't have been a launch title. Only black and white (aka gray) picture labels were launch titles.

AtariAge user ubersaurus wrote the following info in a post two years ago, which breaks things down well. I would only consider the May 1986 games as true launch titles...

1986:

May: Pole Position II, Asteroids, Joust, Ms. Pac-Man. Dig Dug, Food Fight, Robotron

August: Galaga

November: Xevious

1987:

August: Choplifter

October: Karateka, One-on-One Basketball

1988:

Winter/spring: Ballblazer

August: Summer Games, Winter Games, Desert Falcon

November: Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr.

December: Hat Trick, F-18 Hornet, Super Skateboardin, Mario Bros, Impossible Mission

1989:

Winter/Spring: Pete Rose Baseball?

Spring: Title Match Pro Wrestling?

January: Tower Toppler

March: Tomcat, Touchdown Football, Realsports Baseball

April: Cracked, Crossbow, Dark Chambers, Fight Night

May: Ace of Aces, Super Huey

September: Jinks, Xenophobe

November: Commando, Double Dragon, Rampage

• Like 4

That's not correct. Desert Falcon has a color label, so it couldn't have been a launch title. Only black and white (aka gray) picture labels were launch titles.

AtariAge user ubersaurus wrote the following info in a post two years ago, which breaks things down well. I would only consider the May 1986 games as true launch titles...

1986:

May: Pole Position II, Asteroids, Joust, Ms. Pac-Man. Dig Dug, Food Fight, Robotron

1987:

1988:

December: Hat Trick, F-18 Hornet, Super Skateboardin, Mario Bros, Impossible Mission

1989:

You forgot Centipede. It should be up there in May of 1986 with the rest of the launch titles.

Agreed. I just copy pasted the cited user's post haha

Source for the above. :)

Here is information from a reference article (Captured in the spoiler below), regarding number of 7800 launch titles and other interesting tidbits:

Computer Entertainer - September 1986 - Page 13:
"Delays, Shortages in Atari 7800 Software
Although eight titles have now been released for the Atari 7800, only about half of them are readily available at such locations as Toys'R'Us, according to numerous reports from our readers around the country. After the release of the 7800 ProSystem unit and the first seven titles in June, GALAGA is the only follow-release so far. (GALAGA is reviewed in this issue) And three titles have disappeared from the most recent list of 7800 titles from Atari: MOON PATROL, STARGATE, and RESCUE ON FRACTALUS. We were not able to find out whether the first two have been merely delayed or totally cancelled. We were told that the release of RESCUE ON FRACTALUS is "up in the air" due to programming problems. Looking at the balance of Atari's schedule of 7800 games set for release between now and Christmas, we think it's likely that quite a few of them will be "bumped" to early 1987. Even with some delays and cancellations, though, Atari can still make a good showing for the important Christmas selling season if they manage to release at least half of their announced games (10 or more between now and December). Anything less than that, however, will make it difficult for Atari's system to compete effectively against the two Japanese giants, Nintendo and Sega."

post-18-0-77693200-1533380875_thumb.png

The accuracy of the article information can be questioned, at least regarding (only) seven release titles. Unless the author was excluding the PP II pack-in as a part of the seven titles "released"; rather, including it under as part of the system unit mentioned. The total number is eight with the aforementioned Centipede added. The complete list would then be:
Asteroids, Centipede, Dig Dug, Food Fight, Joust, Ms. Pac-Man, Pole Position II, Robotron.
The two more titles that followed in '86, article mentioned (just released) Galaga, and the previously listed Xevious, fits the time frame of the compiled list by ubersaurus posted in the thread linked to earlier.
Pretty sad, but not surprising, regarding only ~4 games for the 7800 is what "numerous reports" from individuals have seen in at least the first half of '86.
What was supposed to be available by September '86, according to the same referenced magazine: Ballblazer, Choplifter, Desert Falcon, Impossible Mission, Karateka, Skyfox, Summer Games, Touchdown Football, One-On-One Basketball.
By Q4 1986 the following was stated to become available: Demolition Derby, F-15 Strike Eagle, GATO, Hat Trick, Rescue on Fractalus, Super Huey, Winter Games...

post-18-0-58774600-1533385069.pngpost-18-0-52096400-1533385074.png

If ubersaurus' timetable holds true, the reality is the majority didn't see a release until two years later with a few titles never seeing the light of day.
Desert Falcon is an odd one though, seems to be a lot of disparity regarding its release. Curt Vendel stated it was a launch title. From the article above, that appears to not be the case (Galaga and Xevious being a launch title per the same post would also be inaccurate); however, uncertain whether ubersaurus' August '88 dating is accurate either.
Side note, Christmas '86 sales could have looked a lot different if the releases went according to the announced plan, with a library like this available for the 7800:
Asteroids, Ballblazer, Centipede, Choplifter, Demolition Derby, Desert Falcon, Dig Dug, F-15 Strike Eagle, Food Fight, Galaga, GATO, Hat Trick, Impossible Mission, Joust, Karateka, Ms. Pac-Man, One-On-One Basketball, Pole Position II, Rescue on Fractalus, Robotron, Skyfox, Summer Games, Super Huey, Touchdown Football, Winter Games, Xevious.
Even with all the mishaps over the prior two years, having the above 26 games lined-up ready for holidays on store shelves, instead of a paltry ~4-10 games people actually saw that year, could have made a huge difference in the way things unfolded.
  • Like 2

Considering Atari sold 4,285 copies of Desert Falcon in 1987 according to the sales data released by Curt Vendel, I think we can safely say that the August of 1988 release date is wrong. We can also add Winter Games to 1987 with sales of 4,753 units.

but are those sales figures what Atari recorded as sales processed through their mail ordering service, that were fulfilled and shipped at a later date?

In my anecdotal experience, those later shipment dates are accurate, or at least they were on the east coast.

• Like 1

Looking at those sales numbers for 1986, I am not sure Robotron: 2084 was a launch title and that Galaga was not. Asteroids (26,970), Centipede (27,383), Ms. Pac-Man (23,452), Joust (30,641), Dig Dug (24,135), Food Fight (26,490), and Galaga (26,221) all had similar sales, which were substantially more than Robotron: 2084 (13,926) and of course Xevious (2,524).

Maybe Galaga was not a launch title and Atari just thought it would be a big seller so it produced more of it than Robotron: 2084, much to swvolinist's disappointment.

but are those sales figures what Atari recorded as sales processed through their mail ordering service, that were fulfilled and shipped at a later date?

In my anecdotal experience, those later shipment dates are accurate, or at least they were on the east coast.

That is a possibility. I was thinking those were how many physical copies were shipped, but I could be mistaken.

I always wanted to try a 7800 back then, but was not easy to find in stores and nobody I knew owned one. Considering I was still rocking my CV full-time at the time (even a 2600 Jr, Moon Patrol and Jungle Hunt, lol!), I would have been stoked to play those games. Certainly not in 88 after I tried both NES and Master System, but I loooooved arcade titles, especially those ones.

What were the prices like in comparison to NES? Did they ever blow em out?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/2/2018 at 3:09 AM, sixersfan105 said:

1986:

1987:

1988:

1989:

Yes but what games came out in 1984 test market?

Edited by Atariboy2600

There's no evidence of a 1984 test market.

According to this, Atari launched the 7800 with the following cartridges in June 1986.  https://mcurrent.name/atarihistory/tramel_technology.html

Pole Position II, Asteroids, Joust, and Ms. Pac-Man

Then later in June, and also for the 7800, Atari shipped Centipede, Dig Dug, Food Fight, Robotron: 2084.

Then Galaga in August and Xevious in November.

----------

The same web site has the following launch titles for the Atari 5200.

Super Breakout, Galaxian, Missile Command, Space Invaders, Star Raiders

Pacman for the 5200 shipped a month later in November along with Soccer.  In December 1982, Atari shipped Defender and Football.

Edited by mr_me

I see a Warner/Atari announcement in May 1984 saying the 7800 will ship in July.  However, on July 1 all Atari 7800 stock along with the rights were sold to Tramiel.  My understanding is that there was a dispute with GCC that delayed the 7800 release.

There's no question that the Atari 7800 was manufactured in 1984 but I don't see anything that says any were sold that year.

• Like 1

No wait aren't the 84 games Pole Position II, Asteroids, Joust, Ms. Pac-Man. Dig Dug, Food Fight, Robotron labels are more likt this image I found?

from AtariProto.com -  

'In 1984 Atari had plans of launching the 7800, with a neat looking silver label and a gridlike pattern.  The picture was in color, and tilted at a 45 degree angle.'

original.jpg

Edited by Atariboy2600

I believe in 1984 the 7800 was only released for a short time in test markets in LA and NYC. The only game available was the pack in game Pole Position 2. A fellow collector here in SoCal told me he purchased a 7800 in 1984 in LA.

The other games planned for 1984 release didn't make it out. You can see more of the stuff planned for the 84 release here: https://www.atari7800.org/museum.htm

Mitch

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

I believe in 1984 the 7800 was only released for a short time in test markets in LA and NYC. The only game available was the pack in game Pole Position 2. A fellow collector here in SoCal told me he purchased a 7800 in 1984 in LA.

The other games planned for 1984 release didn't make it out. You can see more of the stuff planned for the 84 release here: https://www.atari7800.org/museum.htm

Mitch

Since that 1984 Joust box has an old Lionel sticker on it but only Pole Position II made it out that year, is it safe to assume that the old '84 stock of boxes/labels/etc. was used up during the 1986 wide release?

(If that was indeed the case, I wonder how "far reaching" it was? I mean, is it possible I could stumble across an '84 labeled Joust or whatever here in Northeast Ohio?)

Edited by King Atari