Photo

Coleco Adam: Replacement Power Supply Project

11 replies to this topic

#1 Milli Vee OFFLINE  

Milli Vee

Chopper Commander

• 145 posts

Posted Thu Aug 2, 2018 9:15 AM

I am currently in the process of finishing up a replacement power supply for the Adam. It uses a proven power supply that I have been using on the Adam for the past 2 years and other off the shelf components to make a very sleek replacement power supply for the Adam.... http://smartbasic.ne...supply-project/

Front.jpg

Milli

#2 HDTV1080P OFFLINE  

HDTV1080P

Dragonstomper

• 734 posts

Posted Thu Aug 2, 2018 7:02 PM

I would be interested because that custom case looks awesome. Also besides being able to plug in the ADAM Printer to the power supply for ADAMNET data pass through, to my knowledge this well be the first ADAM power supply that has the standard 6 pin in/out ADAMNET connection cables.

Well this be a power supply you are custom making from scatch for the ADAM computer? Or well you use some type of PC power supply that is placed inside a ADAM case?

How many watts well this power supply be? Also even though all ADAM systems were sold in America on a power system that is 120 volts 60Hz, in the ideal world the power supply should be able to handle around 100-240 volts at 50-60Hz so that anyone in the world can use the ADAM if they want too.

Edited by HDTV1080P, Thu Aug 2, 2018 7:03 PM.

#3 HDTV1080P OFFLINE  

HDTV1080P

Dragonstomper

• 734 posts

Posted Thu Aug 2, 2018 8:30 PM

Most and perhaps all 3rd party power supplies for the ADAM computer did not actually power the ADAM printer. Instead after testing what actually occurs is that the DB9 connector on the side of some third party ADAM Printer power supplies is for connecting of the ADAM printer for data communications only, and the printer remains off as long as the power switch on the back of the printer is off. However, as soon as one turns the printer power switch on (located on the back of the actual printer), what actually happens is the printer well not work unless the power cord is also plugged into the electrical outlet. Therefore, the ADAM printer still uses its own internal power supply when connected to a third party ADAM memory console power supply. Therefore, when one wants to use the ADAM printer they have to still turn it on and use the power supply built into the printer. However, the printer does run cooler when connected to a third party ADAM memory console power supply, because the internal printer power supply is only powering the printer and not powering the entire ADAM computer system.

There is a bug or unwanted feature in the SmartWriter program and/or all ADAM Printer firmware (This bug or unwanted feature occurs with all Coleco ADAM printers released). Every time the Coleco ADAM memory console is reset the printer advances the paper feed one space. Therefore, after one does several resets of the memory console the paper needs to be reloaded in the Coleco ADAM printer.  I did notice one nice improvement about the ADAM printer when connected to a third party power supply. The DB9 connector on the power supply is wired in such a way that the bug or unwanted feature where the ADAM printer advances one space after each memory console reset no longer occurs anymore. This is a very nice improvement not to have to reload the paper after several memory console resets. I hope this new power supply for the ADAM computer you are developing well also stop the unwanted ADAM printer line space advance issue everytime the memory console is reset.     

Edited by HDTV1080P, Thu Aug 2, 2018 8:30 PM.

#4 Milli Vee OFFLINE  

Milli Vee

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2018 6:11 AM

Most and perhaps all 3rd party power supplies for the ADAM computer did not actually power the ADAM printer. Instead after testing what actually occurs is that the DB9 connector on the side of some third party ADAM Printer power supplies is for connecting of the ADAM printer for data communications only, and the printer remains off as long as the power switch on the back of the printer is off. However, as soon as one turns the printer power switch on (located on the back of the actual printer), what actually happens is the printer well not work unless the power cord is also plugged into the electrical outlet. Therefore, the ADAM printer still uses its own internal power supply when connected to a third party ADAM memory console power supply. Therefore, when one wants to use the ADAM printer they have to still turn it on and use the power supply built into the printer. However, the printer does run cooler when connected to a third party ADAM memory console power supply, because the internal printer power supply is only powering the printer and not powering the entire ADAM computer system.

There is a bug or unwanted feature in the SmartWriter program and/or all ADAM Printer firmware (This bug or unwanted feature occurs with all Coleco ADAM printers released). Every time the Coleco ADAM memory console is reset the printer advances the paper feed one space. Therefore, after one does several resets of the memory console the paper needs to be reloaded in the Coleco ADAM printer.  I did notice one nice improvement about the ADAM printer when connected to a third party power supply. The DB9 connector on the power supply is wired in such a way that the bug or unwanted feature where the ADAM printer advances one space after each memory console reset no longer occurs anymore. This is a very nice improvement not to have to reload the paper after several memory console resets. I hope this new power supply for the ADAM computer you are developing well also stop the unwanted ADAM printer line space advance issue everytime the memory console is reset.     

Thanks for pointing this out, I can  leave the reset line unhooked.

#5 Milli Vee OFFLINE  

Milli Vee

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2018 6:14 AM

I would be interested because that custom case looks awesome. Also besides being able to plug in the ADAM Printer to the power supply for ADAMNET data pass through, to my knowledge this well be the first ADAM power supply that has the standard 6 pin in/out ADAMNET connection cables.

Well this be a power supply you are custom making from scatch for the ADAM computer? Or well you use some type of PC power supply that is placed inside a ADAM case?

How many watts well this power supply be? Also even though all ADAM systems were sold in America on a power system that is 120 volts 60Hz, in the ideal world the power supply should be able to handle around 100-240 volts at 50-60Hz so that anyone in the world can use the ADAM if they want too.

The power supply is an off the shelf one - it has 45.5 watts and can handle 100 - 240V input. I have been using this one for over 2 years and a few others have also made their own using the same supply. On the website is more pictures and details.

#6 HDTV1080P OFFLINE  

HDTV1080P

Dragonstomper

• 734 posts

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2018 6:59 AM

It looks like you are using the Mean Well RT-50A and then placing that power supply in a professional neat looking case.

Here is the PDF specs and manual for the Mean Well RT-50A if anyone is interested.

#7 Milli Vee OFFLINE  

Milli Vee

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2018 7:39 AM

It looks like you are using the Mean Well RT-50A and then placing that power supply in a professional neat looking case.

Here is the PDF specs and manual for the Mean Well RT-50A if anyone is interested.

Yes - if read  my blogs (or previous posts here or on facebook) you would have found the link for it.

Milli

#8 Milli Vee OFFLINE  

Milli Vee

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2018 10:51 AM

I have 9 confirmed emails so far saying they would order the power supply and there about 1/2 dozen more that said they would on the blog that I would like to get a "confirmed" email from to bring it up to 15 (see the blog for the form to fill out) http://smartbasic.ne...supply-project/ - I am hoping to get 30 "confirmed" emails by the end of this month so I can order the parts.

Milli

#9 Milli Vee OFFLINE  

Milli Vee

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:09 AM

Ordered the parts for the new power supplies, I should have photos / video of the finished power supply next week 1f642.png

#10 Milli Vee OFFLINE  

Milli Vee

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2018 2:58 PM

I have begun assembling the prototype.

Milli

40684855_1080283682137367_6874872469019164672_n.jpg 40833680_1080283712137364_74293322083991552_n.jpg

#11 LoTonah OFFLINE  

LoTonah

Dragonstomper

• 532 posts

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2018 5:55 PM

Why are  you doing all this work on your birthday, Milli?  BTW, Happy Birthday!!

#12 Rey OFFLINE  

Rey

Dragonstomper

• 727 posts
  • Mods for ColecoVision & ADAM

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:34 AM

Nice work Milli! 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users