SRAM Charger Indus GT

59 replies to this topic

#51 Faicuai OFFLINE  

Faicuai

Dragonstomper

• 803 posts

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2018 7:33 PM

Hi,

based on the great interest I can offer SRAM charger for 8 Euros each. I´ve ordered 20 more pieces than here requested, so everybody who wants one gets one :)

Thanks, Jurgen

Just let us know when you are fully ready to accept Orders / Payment, and instructions.

Cheers!

#52 Faicuai OFFLINE  

Faicuai

Dragonstomper

• 803 posts

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2018 7:38 PM

If you have genuine Indus GT drives, no soldering is required. Just plug the PCB in, that´s all.

Please, keep in mind that there are some Indus GT's with WART boards that DO NOT come with the plug-in pin-header on the PCB. The terminal-points are there, but NO header. I have seen pics. of that, although I still have not encountered any of those on the wild...

So, for everyone, it would be a GOOD idea to open up your IndusGT drive FIRST, and verify that on the right-side (looking from front-bezel) you have the pin-header exposed, and VERTICALLY-oriented. This is VERY important.

My IndusGT drives (one with RED and other with BLUE dip-switches in the back) both came with this header.

Cheers!

Edited by Faicuai, Wed Aug 8, 2018 7:38 PM.

#53 Faicuai OFFLINE  

Faicuai

Dragonstomper

• 803 posts

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2018 7:43 PM

Probably the same reason that we would consider using The Last Word and SynFile, SybCalc, ect over Office 2016.  Because we can!  And we're a little odd.

I already have an Indus GT Super Charger, from the run Tregare did a few years back.  It's fun to boot the Indus into CP/M mode and play around with those old apps.  I've especially enjoyed playing Zork in native 80 column mode, but be warned - it is pretty slow!

Glad to see this great expansion option being produced again.

EXACTLY!

And it also enhances the historical value of the system itself, as it opens a clear window in the most significant past (and path) that preceded almost EVERYTHING we know today. Today's personal computing world originates from a single fork in time: one path led to CP/M... the other to MS/DOS, and the decision driven by IBM right before signing with Bill, in Boca-Raton, FL (!!!)

TWO systems in one.... and that Z80 running at 4Mhz is (in relative terms) pretty cool, next to the 6502.

Edited by Faicuai, Wed Aug 8, 2018 7:47 PM.

#54 tf_hh OFFLINE  

tf_hh

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 660 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 5:44 AM

Please, keep in mind that there are some Indus GT's with WART boards that DO NOT come with the plug-in pin-header on the PCB. The terminal-points are there, but NO header. I have seen pics. of that, although I still have not encountered any of those on the wild...

Thanks for this info. I´ve already read about this fact, also some clones hasn´t the connector, but it can be soldered in. Another bunch of drives (non Indus GT!) need modifications on the main PCB, too. I will collect these infos and make a small manual for installation. The usage of CP/M etc. is well explained in different places (Trub´s website, AtariWiki etc.)

#55 xrbrevin OFFLINE  

xrbrevin

Chopper Commander

• 221 posts
  • Mr Ziggy loves to extend the 1050 heatsink!

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:38 AM

My Indus did not come with the header pins, i had to buy and fit them myself:

https://www.ebay.co....3gAAOSwXeJYFKch

#56 tschak909 OFFLINE  

tschak909

River Patroller

• 2,485 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 10:03 AM

...at the risk of causing a war...

Has anyone here who said "Atariwriter is better than Wordstar" ever had to write a book or other large scale printed artifact? I'm going to say _no_.

(I have.)

While AtariWriter CAN be used for this purpose, its lack of available memory literally means that you have to chain documents, A LOT MORE, and be _very_ conscious of editing, especially at the end, when you're moving large blocks of text between files, which is very hard to do in AtariWriter, even in Plus. But I guess, 99% of word processing really is just writing a letter to your congressman...

WordStar wins here, both by virtue of the fact that you have a much larger block of memory to work with (roughly 2.5 to 3 times as much memory for text, due to overlaying of program data, and the fact that you're not having to waste your memory map on I/O devices.)

I will say, for those who review Atari Word Processor (the ORIGINAL), and look at it all funny as to how it handles documents, it was actually MUCH better for large scale document editing, than Atariwriter, and YOU CAN write a very large book in Atari Word Processor.  It's evident that the author of AWP spent time in front of Wang and Vydec word processing machines.

(so yeah, if you want to use an 8-bit machine to do serious word processing? do it in WordStar.)

-Thom

Edited by tschak909, Thu Aug 9, 2018 10:04 AM.

#57 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 7,091 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 10:59 AM

Sorry to say this, but Last Word blows WordStar out of the water in every aspect.  160kB buffer, print preview, built in mini-DOS, integrated spell checker, macro support, etc.

Perhaps not fair since Last Word is perhaps 20 years newer :)

#58 tschak909 OFFLINE  

tschak909

River Patroller

• 2,485 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 11:13 AM

So not fair. and TLW requires a modified machine to get a buffer, that big.

:P

-Thom

#59 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 7,091 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:20 PM

So not fair. and TLW requires a modified machine to get a buffer, that big.

:P

-Thom

Yeah, j/k.  Here's an old vid of me running Wordstar via my Indus.  I hacked the included terminal to remove the horrible Pepto Bismal pink colour.

#60 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 4,458 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 5:45 PM

LOL .. forgot about that.... needs the hack.... do it again?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SRAM, Charger, Indus GT

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users