Photo

Legit eBay sales?

29 replies to this topic

#26 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,013 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:47 PM

When they place their orders for cartridge parts for their next new game, they can order the number of extras to fulfill existing requests for previously soldout cartridges. If they want to take a small risk (seperate from that of the new game) they can order a few more to fulfill future orders.

And they have at time done just so, especially Team Pixelboy and Opcode Games. Both aforemntioned Homebrewers have also struck deals with AtariAge to manufacture and distribute a large number of titles, but things take time seeing as all or most all do this as a Hobby and have full time jobs, families and life to live.

While almost all are never released as a rom file at release, most are eventually shared freely to be used via emulation or a MultiCart.

Aside from all the above, this whole subject eventually boils down to what and how the Homebrewers want to go about doing things and I'll always respect therr decisions even if I don't always agree with them.

#27 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,046 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:21 PM

For sure, it's up to them. It's a hobby and they probably enjoy making new games more than dealing with old ones. They might even like seeing their cartridges climb in value.

#28 Gemintronic ONLINE  

Gemintronic

Jason S. - Lead Developer & CEO

• 9,032 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:31 PM

For sure, it's up to them. It's a hobby and they probably enjoy making new games more than dealing with old ones. They might even like seeing their cartridges climb in value.

I saw one of my games sell on eBay for almost the cost of another batch for a physical release.  At first it is impressive.. er, then you realize none of that is going towards making new copies and spreading the enjoyment further.  Digital downloads very much bite into sales so you can't muster up another physical run.

#29 Hannacek OFFLINE  

Hannacek

Moonsweeper

• 252 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:03 AM

I saw one of my games sell on eBay for almost the cost of another batch for a physical release.  At first it is impressive.. er, then you realize none of that is going towards making new copies and spreading the enjoyment further.  Digital downloads very much bite into sales so you can't muster up another physical run.

So why not make more copies of the game to begin with? Why not make a second run of games?

Who is selling digital homebrew games? I am only aware of one of the homebrew companies that every Christmas gives out some roms for free.

#30 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,046 posts

Posted Today, 5:24 AM

What's a minimum number for another run of cartridges? Regardless, there might not be demand. My understanding is that the biggest expense is the setup cost to print boxes. I think some have said they are reluctant to sell digital files because of copying. But I don't see why loose cartridges couldn't be made on demand.

2 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users