Jump to content

Photo

My homemade 5200 controller


228 replies to this topic

#226 eegt97 OFFLINE  

eegt97

    Moonsweeper

  • 305 posts
  • Location:Melbourne, FL

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:12 PM

 

 Hi, can you share a pic of your cable modification? thanks.

 

Sure, nothing complicated, just going around the 4 sides with a cut off wheel and don't take out the pins.  Let's just say it's not my most accurate hack job, but it works  :)

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_1015.jpg
  • IMG_1013.jpg


#227 amiman99 OFFLINE  

amiman99

    Stargunner

  • 1,261 posts
  • Location:San Antonio, TX USA

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:10 PM

 

Hi amiman99, I sent you a PM, thanks.

Replied



#228 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

    River Patroller

  • 4,085 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.
  • Location:KMBT

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:00 AM

 

Sure, nothing complicated, just going around the 4 sides with a cut off wheel and don't take out the pins.  Let's just say it's not my most accurate hack job, but it works  :)

 

I've actually thought about using "hot snot" (e.g., a bead of hot glue) around the outer edge of the controller connector jack and then inserting the Console5 extension and seeing if it holds it more securely. 


Edited by DrVenkman, Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:01 AM.


#229 eegt97 OFFLINE  

eegt97

    Moonsweeper

  • 305 posts
  • Location:Melbourne, FL

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:58 PM

 

I've actually thought about using "hot snot" (e.g., a bead of hot glue) around the outer edge of the controller connector jack and then inserting the Console5 extension and seeing if it holds it more securely. 

 

Something like that would have probably solved the intermittent issue with the pots I was having before cutting, but I had another issue with the #,0,* key row.  That was constant, and I finally realized that the common pin for this row was ever so slightly recessed even more than the others in the extension cable.  Then I cut the shell, and everything worked and is secure, no issues.  I wished I had done that from the beginning, probably would have saved some unnecessary solder re-flow. ;-)

 

BTW, I have already damaged the thumbstick.  It gets stuck down sometimes and doesn't come back to center.  I wonder if without a case I move it more than it is really meant to move.  At any rate, I'm going to see if I can find something a little more robust to replace with.

 

-Brian






0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users