Photo

Newbie questions on burning... Coleco 2600 "Looping" Cartridge

5 replies to this topic

#1 tjrtech OFFLINE  

tjrtech

Combat Commando

• 3 posts

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2018 3:14 PM

So, I want to have a complete 2600 Coleco cartridge collection.  There is a never released "Looping" for the 2600, by Coleco, and there is an 8K rambin file.  The game looks pretty good.  It would look better as a cartridge on my shelf...

Here is what I'd like to do, and I was wondering if there is a snowball's chance in hell this will work (please confirm, I am a newbie):

1. I will be cleaning the sticker off a Coleco 2600 Donkey Kong cart and cracking it open for a surrogate cart.

2. I will use the RAMbin file for "Looping" that exists here on AtariAge.

3. I don't yet have an EPROM burner, but I plan to buy this one, or one like it:

KEE Willem EPROM Programmer PCB version PCB5.0

https://www.ebay.com...SA/291531758605

4. I plan to use 2732 EPROMs (4k x 8) for the 8K cartridge.

5. I am going to use the PCB from OSH Park based on Joe Grand's design:  8k/16k/32k Bankswitch Cartridge

(note:  I have both the Activision PCB and the one not claimed to be Activision....I assume I will use the non-Activision one?)

6. I have 3 each of the cartridge PCB boards, so I will put a ZIF socket in one of each (Activision and non-Activision) for testing burned EPROMs.

7. When I get a burned "Looping" EPROM that works, I will solder it into a cartridge PCB and put it in the white Coleco cartridge case, then print up a custom "Looping" label.

So, with the above work?  What would you tweak?  What advise would you give to a newbie?

P.S. If this all works, I will do the same with Atari 2600 Turbo by Coleco.

Thanks!

#2 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 34,079 posts
  • I am the one who knocks!

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2018 3:39 PM

Both of them were released in one form or another.

post-5887-1167187770.jpg

https://atariage.com...ct_detail&p=960

#3 tjrtech OFFLINE  

tjrtech

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2018 5:33 AM

I understand that Looping was released, may have even been sold on AtariAge for a time, but it was essentially a very limited run hobbyist release.  I'd like to give my "skills" or lack thereof a try....and have some fun.

Will what I am suggesting work?  Or just go for it?

#4 Arenafoot OFFLINE  

Arenafoot

Stargunner

• 1,126 posts
  • videogamestores.net

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2018 7:18 AM

I understand that Looping was released, may have even been sold on AtariAge for a time, but it was essentially a very limited run hobbyist release.  I'd like to give my "skills" or lack thereof a try....and have some fun.

Will what I am suggesting work?  Or just go for it?

I say go for it! The more programmers in the homebrew scene, the more ideas and the more creative games that come out of it!

BTW - the ROM for Looping can be found on the AA site: https://atariage.com...areLabelID=2389

Good Luck! I'll be watching for it.

#5 5-11under OFFLINE  

5-11under

River Patroller

• 3,366 posts

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2018 7:29 AM

If you're going to use a board meant for the Atari shell in a Coleco shell, there may be some physical adjustments that may need to be made, to make the board fit well.

#6 tjrtech OFFLINE  

tjrtech

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2018 7:52 AM

If you're going to use a board meant for the Atari shell in a Coleco shell, there may be some physical adjustments that may need to be made, to make the board fit well.

Yeah, I want it to be in a white Coleco 2600 cart case.  My shelf seems to be missing a white 2600 Coleco "Looping" cart ever since I found the ROM existed...

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users