IGNORED

SHIFT838 Website Possible Overhaul

Shift838

All,

I'm thinking of overhauling the SHIFT838 website.

I have placed a small template at the below link with drop down menus. None of the links work, it's just a pass at using CSS for the site.

I have placed dropdown and navigation bar at the top. No frames..

Give me some comments.

http://shift838.99er.net/new

• Like 1

For faster browsing I generally have both script and images off- the beta page is unusable here in that context and I would not tend to go any further.

Without images the background is light as is the text and there is almost no contrast with text. If you use an image for background, please set a background colour as well.

I see no menu structure at all. Turning off CSS also shows no menu structure. Unsure if this is due to cutting edge css or use of script, but an alternative should be given even if only in small type at the bottom of the page, perhaps a direct link to a navigation page.

thanks

Stephen

(full disclosure, i'm viewing this on Firefox with AdBlock and Privacy Badger, but everything else turned on)

i like the transparent dropdowns that are opaque on the selection- that looks cool! i also like the light grey of the menu with the dark grey of the background. the way the dropdowns work is cool as well.

it looks great. :)

For faster browsing I generally have both script and images off- the beta page is unusable here in that context and I would not tend to go any further.

Without images the background is light as is the text and there is almost no contrast with text. If you use an image for background, please set a background colour as well.

I see no menu structure at all. Turning off CSS also shows no menu structure. Unsure if this is due to cutting edge css or use of script, but an alternative should be given even if only in small type at the bottom of the page, perhaps a direct link to a navigation page.

thanks

Stephen

Please let me know what type of device and which browser you are using.

I have tested on Windows, MAC, IOS and Windows Mobile and all looks good on these devices so far.

See attached- that is the best I can get, no menu obvious.post-47425-0-70321400-1533564967.png

I also attach what Google sees (838google.png)post-47425-0-11331600-1533564980_thumb.png

OS Linux. Desktop.

Browsers:

NOTE: In all cases SCRIPT IS TURNED OFF. I am sure this is causing your page not to function here.

If your webpage does not function at any level without script then it is not disabled friendly as many assistance utilities react badly to interferance from scripts. Adapted systems and browsers are not updated very often (sometimes not possible) and backwards compatability should be a target.

The beta web page does not function on:

Vivaldi 1.7

Firefox 20

Opera 12

w3m

Lynx

Konqueror 3.5

Seamonkey 2.17

regards

Stephen

Please let me know what type of device and which browser you are using.

I have tested on Windows, MAC, IOS and Windows Mobile and all looks good on these devices so far.

See attached- that is the best I can get, no menu obvious.attachicon.gif838.png

I also attach what Google sees (838google.png)attachicon.gif838google.png

OS Linux. Desktop.

Browsers:

NOTE: In all cases SCRIPT IS TURNED OFF. I am sure this is causing your page not to function here.

If your webpage does not function at any level without script then it is not disabled friendly as many assistance utilities react badly to interferance from scripts. Adapted systems and browsers are not updated very often (sometimes not possible) and backwards compatability should be a target.

The beta web page does not function on:

Vivaldi 1.7

Firefox 20

Opera 12

w3m

Lynx

Konqueror 3.5

Seamonkey 2.17

regards

Stephen

The scripting is required for the site to work properly. I have a script that processes the navigation page and includes it on the other pages. This is so when I make the change to navigation code I only have to change it once. I can add a background color to help with the viewing, but the scripts are required.

The site uses CSS and HTML5.

I have tested it on:

Windows 10 with IE11, Edge, Firefox and Chrome

Windows 10 Mobile with Edge

iPhone and iPad with Safari

Ubuntu with Firefox Quantum 60.0.2

Ubuntu with Chromium 68.0.3440.75