Lynx Articles Announcement

140 replies to this topic

#126 Ninjabba OFFLINE  

Ninjabba

Dragonstomper

• 685 posts

Posted Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:55 AM

You should draw out the Wyvern Tales map  :D

I've started mapping it out for a banner for the mailing list and noticed how much time it took but I'm planning to make a nice looking full overworld map at some point :)

Nice list though! Mine looks completely different

Edited by Ninjabba, Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:57 AM.

#127 necrocia OFFLINE  

necrocia

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 290 posts

Posted Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:02 AM

Looking forward to the full map! If I had to make a top X list, it would look very different indeed too. I need to write up a top 5 homebrew games soon!

#128 necrocia OFFLINE  

necrocia

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 290 posts

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2019 3:46 AM

Sometimes you open a brand new Lynx game and get that game, sometimes you open it and get a little surprise inside! https://atarigamer.c...-for-atari-lynx

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 20.43.26.png

#129 Fadest OFFLINE  

Fadest

Moonsweeper

• 490 posts

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2019 5:35 AM

I guess you can say thanks you Mr Allgood !

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Toubon_Law

#130 LynxHandyCaster ONLINE  

LynxHandyCaster

Chopper Commander

• 222 posts

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2019 9:06 AM

Sometimes you open a brand new Lynx game and get that game, sometimes you open it and get a little surprise inside! https://atarigamer.c...-for-atari-lynx

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-02-04 at 20.43.26.png

When I bought this game NIB (sealed) in March of 2017 I discovered that there were two posters inside the carton as well. But I neglected to check to see if one of them was in a different language. I'll check when I get home after work today.

#131 LordKraken OFFLINE  

LordKraken

Chopper Commander

• 144 posts

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2019 10:05 AM

The reason for that is that french law required the product to be in french or to have at least some instructions in french. I guess today having the product in french is mandatory, back then it was probably ok to just have the manual.

But to be totally honest, back in the days, the localization was probably done by some random guys ("oh well ask the new intern, that will do it" :D), so we got the worst text and voice acting for decades :(

#132 Fadest OFFLINE  

Fadest

Moonsweeper

• 490 posts

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2019 12:36 PM

But to be totally honest, back in the days, the localization was probably done by some random guys ("oh well ask the new intern, that will do it" :D), so we got the worst text and voice acting for decades :(

:D

This is why we translate our french games in crappy english, just because you guys need to know what we suffered for years with stupid translations in french ;)

#133 karri ONLINE  

karri

River Patroller

• 2,557 posts

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2019 12:51 PM

Besides translating anything computer related to french is a nightmare. It takes twice the space to express anything in french compared to any other language. I had to translate lots of menus and popups to french for Sun Microsystem graphic workstations. So if you had problems in the 80's you know whom to blame.

PS. I only studied french for one semester. Enough to get my key from the reception and order food.

Edited by karri, Mon Feb 4, 2019 12:51 PM.

#134 Lost Dragon ONLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 3,675 posts

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2019 8:55 AM

Just for the interests of your sites Databases..

You probably know better than to trust everything printed in the Lynx game manuals, as they sometimes contain mistakes?

Case in point,Stun Runner, over to someone who knows his stuff ;-)

"Just thought I'd point out that we here at Atari Games Corp. are not the dweebs that the Atari Corp. (different company) marketing types who wrote the copy for the poster/instructions are.

S.T.U.N.actually stands for Speed Tunnel Underground Network not what is indicated otherwise . In fact,
the original meaning of the name was Spread Tunnel Underground Network,
which had to do with the original theme of the game which ended up
changing over the course of development and testing (whew! How is that for a classic case of run-on sentence?). The source code still refers to each level as a "spread".

But in any event, I would think that even a Marketing nerd could see that Sub-Terranean Underground is redundant(but then I guess that Marketing nerd and Marketing dweeb are redundant also...).

- Ed Rotberg -
- Game Designer/Programmer of S.T.U.N. Runner -

Edited by Lost Dragon, Sat Feb 9, 2019 8:56 AM.

#135 necrocia OFFLINE  

necrocia

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 290 posts

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:59 PM

Yep, there are a few notable mistakes on manuals and boxes. I think TOKI has a miss-print for the developer company and Desert Strike has spelling mistakes on the back of the manual. I'm sure I've come across a few more too.

#136 necrocia OFFLINE  

necrocia

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 290 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:35 AM

I've started coding for the Lynx recently using my Mac and it wasn't as easy as it would be on Windows, so here are some steps to get started. Who's else is making new Lynx games?

#137 LynxHandyCaster ONLINE  

LynxHandyCaster

Chopper Commander

• 222 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:54 AM

When I bought this game NIB (sealed) in March of 2017 I discovered that there were two posters inside the carton as well. But I neglected to check to see if one of them was in a different language. I'll check when I get home after work today.

Yeah, I checked my copy...French!

#138 necrocia OFFLINE  

necrocia

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 290 posts

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:46 AM

So we've had a chat with Fabien, the developer of Captain Harlynx. The game looks amazing, can't wait for it to be released! Check out the article here - https://atarigamer.c...captain-harlynx

unnamed.png

#139 agradeneu OFFLINE  

agradeneu

Moonsweeper

• 444 posts

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:34 AM

Looks like a very promising demo. Still a long way to go to be a full game though. 

#140 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 6,157 posts

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:05 PM

"Many poorly made games"?!! I feel that I need to breathe into a paper bag. Then again, maybe he was locked in a closet with his Lynx and Hyperdrome for two weeks...

His game does look good, though. I have a feeling that I'm going to secretly rename it Firefly. :)

#141 necrocia OFFLINE  

necrocia

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 290 posts

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:44 PM

I think he's right though, there are some pretty bad Lynx games out there. I think the point really was that there were so many very good games so the potential of the console was up there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lynx, Articles, Announcement

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users