Photo

ON TOPIC: Ponderings

3 replies to this topic

#1 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,495 posts

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2018 6:36 PM

With the P-Box TIPI released, coupled with it's massive (TI-wise) storage capability on the RPi, combined with one of the 1024K SAMS cards, I wonder what the first 'exploit' will be year or so 'down the line'.

Do you guys have any predictions?

#2 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• Topic Starter
  • 12,495 posts

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2018 5:07 AM

Another thing to ponder...

How many basic P-Boxes with only 32K and an original 5.25 floppy do you think are floating around out there unused?  Many of those systems will suddenly become viable for use again with a single TIPI card.

#3 HOME AUTOMATION OFFLINE  

HOME AUTOMATION

Star Raider

• 59 posts

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2018 7:37 AM

I personally prefer the sidecar 32K+TIPI. I imagine I could use a side-port splitter to hook it up with my P-BOX for the purposes of data x-fer or prototyping. I have 2 PEBs as you mentioned plus rs2323s I obtained years ago as bakups to my main PEB w corcomps in it. Before TIPI I had been forced to DEVELOP on my MINIMEMORY and store on .WAVs using a voice recorder. Because of limited space!

The AIRCRAFT CARRIER + FIRE-HOSE + ELEPHANT-PAW + CONSOLE + MONITOR = NO DEVELOPMENT AREA.

...and the original sidecars... TI board members must have assumed that we users all hold board meetings as well, so we all must have conference tables.

At the high-rate TIPI x-fers data, block swapping makes fair use of 32k. however intense apps or games benefit from more RAM. Considering conservation of space and 512K x 127 = 64Meg I imagine a FINALGROM to be my final solution.

TIPI + 32K + FINALGROM + CONSOLE + MONITOR(tiny) = ROOM TO GROW

and after all, we're merely passengers here...

#4 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• Topic Starter
  • 12,495 posts

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2018 8:32 AM

The AIRCRAFT CARRIER + FIRE-HOSE + ELEPHANT-PAW + CONSOLE + MONITOR = NO DEVELOPMENT AREA.

"Aircraft Carrier"... that's a good one and gave me a belly laugh this morning, thanks for that!  :thumbsup:

For those already with P-Boxes, or those needing other specialty cards, the P-Box is where it's at.  I also like the sidecar model, but I also need extra capability, so I opted for both.  Both versions are great and offer something for everyone.

I got to thinking though, how inexpensive the TIPI option really is compared to our original investment(s) back in the day.  If I remember correctly, I paid $150.00 back in 1983 for my TI RS-232 and probably a little more for my TI Acoustical modem, but let's say $300.00 for both.  In today's dollars that's a little over $750.00 to get 'online'.

Now days, the TIPI, RPI3, power cord and an SD card will come in under $200.00, in 1983 dollars that's just under $80.00 to get online, but you also get way more than just 'online' you get storage space up the Wazoo that people would have spent quite literally THOUSANDS of dollars for back then.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users