Photo

Tape drive troubleshooting

4 replies to this topic

#1 Zerock OFFLINE  

Zerock

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2018 9:26 AM

I have an official TI program recorder that doesn't appear to be working correctly. I've had it apart and cleaned it thoroughly before testing it. I've also tested all the pins on my interface cable. I think my problem is with playback, since it doesn't seem to matter what volume setting I use, I hear the same volume low hum either from the speaker or with headphones. I would assume that if playback were working then I would hear different volumes of tape noise.

Regardless, I don't have a prerecorded audio cassette to test my hypothesis with. I do know the TI-99 is putting out a signal when recording (tested on my PC). What things should I check to identify and perhaps fix this problem?

#2 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 926 posts
  • Status? I don't need no stinkin' status!

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:44 AM

Try inserting a scracth tape into the recorder and cycle the record play buttons several times. Why? - When record is enabled part of the switch circuitry cuts the audio while recording. If the switch is dirty sometimes when you return to play mode the audio stays cut. This has happened on several of my recorders and doing the cycle trick has brought them back. Hopefully this all that's wrong with your deck. 

#3 Zerock OFFLINE  

Zerock

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 5:39 AM

So just take one of my blank tapes and play with the buttons? Seems easy enough if it works. Think it's better to change between play/record in rapid succession or to run for a while and then switch?

#4 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 926 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 5:48 AM

Yes, try cycling both buttons as quickly as you can to try and clean the switch up a bit. I hope it fixes your issue. 

#5 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 926 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 5:54 AM

I forgot one other thing - cycle the pause/play switch too. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users