IGNORED

EmuParadise has removed its entire library of retro game ROMs and ISOs

Stereos can be easilly repaired, cars too. plenty of aftermarket for parts. Pets and trees are living things, not consumer goods. Old computers/consoles can also be repaired and keep running, this is why site like this exist. Media can also be transfered unto a newer medium.

And, yes, having bought the damn thing I'm sure well entitled to enjoy it perpetually as long as I can keep it running even if I have to fix it and replace every part, including medium, to keep it running. No amount of playing devil's advocate will change that fact.

"keeping it running" doesn't include stealing your neighbor's working copy when yours stops working.

Stereos can be easily repaired. Try taking your coleco vision to your local electronics or computer repair shop.

I do it myself personnaly. I love repairing stuff. The only difficulty comes with finding proprietary ICs as modern substitutes exist for the other electronics part. Even then, you can always cannibalize one bad unit to repair another one.

I do it myself personnaly. I love repairing stuff. The only difficulty comes with finding proprietary ICs as modern substitutes exist for the other electronics part. Even then, you can always cannibalize one bad unit to repair another one.

Unfortunately, most people don't have the ability to do this. Repairing antiquated video games is not reasonable and is a valid consideration when weighing the fair use limitation of copyright.

Stealing would be depriving him of his good. making a copy, a "spare part", doesn't.

Scan it and 3D print it. That's not stealing, is it? Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, most people don't have the ability to do this. Repairing antiquated video games is not reasonable and is a valid consideration when weighing the fair use limitation of copyright.

No, it isn't. You don't need to repair it yourself. You can bring it to any reputable electronics repair shop and pay someone to fix it.

Same with cars, yet plenty of peoples are doing it either as a hobby or professionaly. In any case, legal or not, people will still do it either way. Prohibition never works when it comes to popular products accesibility. It didn't work on alcohol or drugs and it sure as hell never work against media piracy. People can play the authoritarian advocate against piracy on an internet forum all they want, it doesn't matter much. People will still copy, rip or dump. At this point, nobody care about the legality of it.

No, it isn't. You don't need to repair it yourself. You can bring it to any reputable electronics repair shop and pay someone to fix it.

There was a shop in california that serviced intellivisions in the 1990s and even into the 2000s. They are still in business but they stopped servicing intellivisions years ago. If there is another let us know. Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

There was a shop in california that serviced intellivisions in the 1990s and even into the 2000s. They are still in business but they stopped servicing intellivisions years ago. If there is another let us know.

The service manual is here. I would think most any old-timey electronics repair person could figure out an Intellivision or ColecoVision, the parts are pretty standard and the traces are large.

• Like 2

You know what?

Too Bad. That's how everything in life is. Cars die. Pets die. Trees fall down. Televisions die. Stereos stop working. Shit happens.

You're not entitled to unending perpetual access to cheap consumer products from 30-40 years ago. That's why these things typically only carry a 90 day warranty on them.

I paid for the games, I still have the disks. if I use roms to play them these days it don't feel morally conflicted. Are you going to stop me?

The service manual is here. I would think most any old-timey electronics repair person could figure out an Intellivision or ColecoVision, the parts are pretty standard and the traces are large.

Where do you get a controller flex circuit that's worn through, or the contact block that connects the wires, or an exec chip. Wait until it pops up on ebay, or from another system. And go through it again when a 35 year old consumer product breaks down again.

And how easy is it to troubleshoot, and isolate the problem if you're not familiar with the machine. Would you want to do that as a business.

Maybe they can download a copy of the test cartridge from the internet and buy a flash cartridge to run it. And that service manual is copyrighted.

Edited by mr_me

I paid for the games, I still have the disks. if I use roms to play them these days it don't feel morally conflicted. Are you going to stop me?

i don't really care what you do. But just because your old disk went bad doesn't entitle you to steal new copies. That's not how it works. No I'm not going to stop you. I'm just trying to enlighten you to the fact that you're not really justified in downloading shared roms you don't own, no matter what level of justification you invent for yourself.

i don't really care what you do. But just because your old disk went bad doesn't entitle you to steal new copies. That's not how it works. No I'm not going to stop you. I'm just trying to enlighten you to the fact that you're not really justified in downloading shared roms you don't own, no matter what level of justification you invent for yourself.

Who am I stealing from? They don't sell the games I am talking about anymore. Second hand copies (if they still work) don't compensate the author or publisher at all.

The way it works is the copyright holder has exclusive copying rights under law [for a defined term]. The same law limits those rights allowing unauthorised copying under certain circumstances. If your usage is within those limitations than the unauthorised copying is legal.

The moral/ethical question is another matter.

Edited by mr_me

Who am I stealing from? They don't sell the games I am talking about anymore. Second hand copies (if they still work) don't compensate the author or publisher at all.

Again, more moralizing justifications. That's not how the law works.

Here's a for instance:

Say you own a classic muscle car, like a 1971 Chevy Chevelle, and one day, the distributor cap goes, and you can't get it started. You search and search but all the options you find for replacement parts on ebay or through local parts dealers are too expensive for your budget. Then you find out there is an old Chevy factory two towns over, that is still owned by Chevy, but no longer producing parts. But - they have a storage facility on the grounds with the exact part you need. Are you justified in breaking in and taking the parts you need? Nobody is using them. They aren't trying to sell them anymore. It's not hurting their business. But it's still not legal.

I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just pointing out that making justifications for illegal behavior based on what you think is morally or ethically correct is a bad idea.

No the analogy is more like you went to the shop, took scans, pictures, measurements and built one yourself.

If it's protected under a patent, it could be a violation. But patent laws also have limitations that allows people to repair a product that they own.

The point about moral behaviour sometimes getting you into legal trouble is valid, however. In such cases you would be right and the law would be wrong.

Edited by mr_me

Where do you get a controller flex circuit that's worn through, or the contact block that connects the wires, or an exec chip. Wait until it pops up on ebay, or from another system. And go through it again when a 35 year old consumer product breaks down again.

And how easy is it to troubleshoot, and isolate the problem if you're not familiar with the machine. Would you want to do that as a business.

Maybe they can download a copy of the test cartridge from the internet and buy a flash cartridge to run it. And that service manual is copyrighted.

I bought a newly made keyboard membrane for an A1200 this year. If there's a need somebody will make the part. Contact blocks are the same, someone could make a 3d printed run. The only difficult parts are the custom ICs, but even them can be reproduced with modern component just like the C64 PIA and SID replacement are available today.

And I don't know if you've looked into it, but since the advent of the Arduino and rPi, electronics as a hobby has had quite an uptick in interest, especially with the younger gen. The whole maker scene is quite active.

• Like 1

Here's a for instance:

Say you own a classic muscle car, like a 1971 Chevy Chevelle, and one day, the distributor cap goes, and you can't get it started. You search and search but all the options you find for replacement parts on ebay or through local parts dealers are too expensive for your budget. Then you find out there is an old Chevy factory two towns over, that is still owned by Chevy, but no longer producing parts. But - they have a storage facility on the grounds with the exact part you need. Are you justified in breaking in and taking the parts you need? Nobody is using them. They aren't trying to sell them anymore. It's not hurting their business. But it's still not legal.

If I purchased a license for a non-exclusive right to use a 1971 Chevy distributor cap in executable form, then yeah, I'd take one from Chevy by any means necessary to preserve my right to use the damn thing if they weren't giving me a replacement. If I bought a distributor cap at a parts store, then no I wouldn't steal a new one.

• Like 1

If I purchased a license for a non-exclusive right to use a 1971 Chevy distributor cap in executable form, then yeah, I'd take one from Chevy by any means necessary to preserve my right to use the damn thing if they weren't giving me a replacement. If I bought a distributor cap at a parts store, then no I wouldn't steal a new one.

But when you buy a video game in cartridge, tape, CD, DVD format, etc. - that is NOT what you are buying. You are buying a license to use that program FROM THAT SPECIFIC DEVICE, and not "any device that contains the same or similar code".

Sony Software Product License Agreement:

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. The Software is licensed to you, not sold. After the authorized release date, Licensor grants to you a limited, non-exclusive license to use the Software for personal use on your PlayStation® system. Any rights in the Software not explicitly granted to you in this license are reserved by Licensor, including rights to all intellectual property contained in the Software. This license does not include the right to, and as a condition of this Agreement, you agree not to (a) rent, lease or sublicense the Software or make it available on a network to other users; (b) modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software; © create derivative works from the Software; (d) create or make available unauthorized mods; or (e) copy, publicly perform or broadcast the Software in an unauthorized manner.

Nintendo EULA

1. LIMITED USE LICENSE
Subject to your compliance with the terms and conditions of the Agreement, NINTENDO hereby grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited right and license to install and use one (1) copy of the Game Software solely and exclusively for your personal and non-commercial use. This Agreement shall also apply to any patches or updates you may obtain for the Software. IN ACCORDANCE WITH AND NOT INTENDING TO LIMIT ANY OF THE PROVISIONS OR PROTECTIONS SET FORTH HEREIN, DUPLICATION, COPYING OR ANY FORM OF REPRODUCTION OF THE GAME SOFTWARE OR RELATED INFORMATION, MATERIALS OR OTHER CONTENT TO ANY OTHER SERVER OR LOCATION FOR THE PURPOSES OF DUPLICATION, COPYING OR ANY OTHER FORM OF REPRODUCTION IS EXPRESSLY AND EXPLICITLY PROHIBITED. This license does not give you any title or ownership in the Game Software, and should not be construed as a sale or transfer of any intellectual property rights to the Game Software. All rights not specifically granted under this Agreement are hereby reserved by Nintendo and, as applicable, by its licensors.

If I'm not making and/or distributing copies myself, I'm free to get the software from any source to continue use of my non-exclusive license. That's how I will interpret it until a judge tells me otherwise.

These entirely one sided license agreements all go on to say you have no rights to sell, rent, lease, license, distribute or otherwise transfer this game software or any copies etc. etc. etc. Many of those additional provisions are highly dubious and untested under the law. Some are violated on a regular basis with the licensor's explicitly disregard as they support the licensor's business model despite them being violations of their own license agreement. Essentially, the license agreement exists to secure the developer's right to the commercial use of their creation. You don't buy the software, because if you did, you would be able to do what you like with the software you own. I can't modify it or sell it as my own. By the terms of their own license agreement, I also can't assign the license to other parties.

Therefore I have purchased a non-transferable, non-exclusive right to use the software for my own private, non-commercial use as I see fit. Since that is what I purchased in exchange for my money, I have every right to use that software in perpetuity. Any license entered into is at least a two party affair, and the fact that they try to automate the entering into the agreement does not deprive me of my rights granted under it. The valid legal argument here is that I maintain the right to use any game I purchased a license to use. They didn't want to sell the software so they sold the license to use it. The same is effectively true for music and video as you have no rights to sell it as your own or use for public performance. You have a license for private non-commercial use.

One interesting note in the Sony EULA is.... "for personal use on your PlayStation® system".

This was already invalidated under the law as emulators were deemed completely legal. (Bleem etc.) If the licensor wants to claim you have no rights to use the software on something other than their device, I suppose they're entitled to provide a full refund and invalidate your user license under the law. I don't see them running around and doing that. The point is, they can put all the language they want in these hokey license agreements, but none of it is worth the ink unless it's been upheld by a judge. What has been upheld is the licensees right to non-commercial use of the product.

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 3