IGNORED

is my gaming skill dying?

I remember being able to make it through Track and field 1's fencing level no problem. Now, i can't even do a run properly without dying. Tetris is the exception. Tmnt, Friday the 13th, Star wars, the game doesn't matter, i can't beat it. I was 10 when i picked up an nes controller. any ideas? i am a 25 year old male who is deathly afraid of being labeled "old" or "casual"

How often did you play track & field or tmnt as a kid? How often do you play them now? Did you ever stop?

Muscle memory is a funny thing, if you don't use it you'll lose it. Play any of those for the same time you did as a kid & you'd get good again. You'll just have to not play other games, or work, or do the other hobbies you've picked up in the last 15 years. Personally, I'll give up the skill.

• Like 1

It's possible you've lost a lot of skill you may have once had, but it's nothing practice can't solve. It's especially true if you haven't picked these games up in a long time. You are going to have to re-learn them if you haven't played them repeatedly over the years.

I don't believe that gaming ability itself usually deteriorates with age. Rather you can just get out of practice because you're busy with other things. I'm middle aged and I think that I'm a much better gamer than when I was a kid.

Yes, but your pattern recognition does change if you're not remaining well practiced. Like you I am leagues better than I was as a kid, but I'll be the first to admit I don't analyze things the same way I used to as a kid, and some of my strategies have changed. Some games I used to be great at, I now have to think differently and form different strategies. I've definitely ran into multiple, "How the 'f did I ever beat this as a kid?!" moments, even at my greater skill level now.

• Like 1

Kick, punch, it's all the mind! As you become older I'm sure you'll find, the games you beat then are sure to defeat ya, but nevertheless you'll get a lesson from teacher now... Don't! Psych! Yourself out! Once more now... Don't! Psych! Yourself out! Good job Parappa, erm Ranger, you can go on to the next stage now.

Onion wisdom aside, you're probably just a little out of practice. Your hand muscles may have lost a little elasticity since you were a kid but barring any medical complications your fine motor coordination should be better at 25 than it was at 10. When you were a kid you probably didn't have nearly as many games to choose from as you do now, and when you've only got a few games to play and a whole lot of free time to kill after school you tend to milk those games for every ounce of enjoyment you can get out of them and really master them. As an adult you probably just haven't devoted quite as much time to the games you're struggling with as you did back then because you have so many more entertainment options to choose from now, so don't stress about it.

You're still young and you've got plenty of time to get back to the top of your game with some practice. Talent is a pursued interest, so if you want to be as good as you used to be then keep pursuing it and before long you will be. :)

https://youtu.be/ldQrapQ4d0Y

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

Unless you have arthritis or some other disability, it's just something to re-learn. Unless your age is really causing problems with the ability to think and use your hands, it's a lack of repeat, muscle memory, play time that's doing it. It drives me nuts as I can (err COULD) do something and now get slapped around, almost demoralizing having to start over sometimes if the memory is still fresh. But when it's not, it's easier to just think of it as playing it again for the first time. Try and never employ old strategies and just play it fresh.

• Like 1

Ive been playing my NES more the last few days since im laid up with my knee.

I will say im not 'worse', but you have to relearn patterns. The 3rd boss in Kirbys Adventures is kicking my butt right now.

Use the power, Nintendo Power!

• Like 2

You realize you're hanging out here with a bunch of old geezers, right?

I disagree. Not everyone here is old. I'm not even 40 yet for crying out loud!!!!

Ageist(and even Sexist) remarks and assumptions are why forums are a dying breed IMO.

Anyways I don't mean to feed this troll thread lol,just saying....

Video game skills are like riding a bicycle also. You will never forget unless you just flatout suck at games to begin with.

I'm still clueless when it comes to most games, but my 'Twitch' skill has improved significantly since I was a kid. I can get much further in Shooters and Platformers than I could back in the day. My FPS skills have only improved since the Wolfenstein days: I play a ton of Doom on PC, which has maintained my high level of skill.

You shouldn't care about anyone labeling you, that's silly. ;)

But we're definitely geezers. Get these damn kids off my lawn! :-D

(For the record, I'm 35.)

I know I am, for sure. :lol: I'm 33 but I don't drink or go to bars or clubs, and my idea of an exciting party is ordering a pizza, watching a movie, and playing video games with the spousal unit. Friends? Yeah, I have some. Haven't seen them in real life in a year or so, but I know they're out there doing boring adult stuff with their own families just like I am.

Being a geezer isn't so bad, it's actually pretty relaxing and I don't have to deal with any of the stress or social drama of being a teenager or twenty-something. In retrospect, being a boring old person is way better than being an exciting young person... except for when it gets cold or feels like it's going to rain and your joints start aching. Other than that, pretty good! :D

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

I disagree. Not everyone here is old. I'm not even 40 yet for crying out loud!!!!

Ageist(and even Sexist) remarks and assumptions are why forums are a dying breed IMO.

I sincerely hope you're not saying my comment was either of those things. If you knew anything about me, you'd know I was about as far from either of those things as anyone gets. I was making a joke about being 20 years older than the OP, when he's already worried about being "old" at age 25. And I don't think it's a stretch to say that most others in this forum are about my same age.

I feel like what's making forums a dying breed is people taking offense to things they shouldn't.

• Like 7