Photo

XE Keyboard Upgrade: Worth It?

14 replies to this topic

#1 sixersfan105 OFFLINE  

sixersfan105

Dragonstomper

• 505 posts

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2018 7:32 PM

New XEGS owner here, and it didn't take me long to learn first-hand how awful the keyboard is - so mushy with no feedback to speak of! With that said, has anyone purchased and installed the "improved silicone cups" upgrade from Best? Is it worth the $20 price tag? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The attached picture is a screenshot from Best's site with a description of the upgrade...

Attached Thumbnails

• 262BBFBC-68D2-4BEB-A93D-A57ECAF6F298.jpeg

#2 gilsaluki OFFLINE  

gilsaluki

Dragonstomper

• 720 posts

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2018 7:44 PM

I have installed the Best Upgrade to my XEGS.  Not much difference.  Still mushy, I still mis-type because of it.  I still prefer the XL keyboards.  I love my XEGS, detached keyboard, but yuck, the keyboard blows.  I wish I had a good old IBM Clicky, spring mechanical keyboard for my Ataris.  Worth it?   Well, only you can judge.

#3 Brentarian OFFLINE  

Brentarian

Moonsweeper

• 413 posts

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2018 7:48 PM

The cups do make a difference, but I prefer using a PS/2 keyboard using a TransKey-II XEGS adapter. You can build one yourself (https://ataribits.we....com/tk-ii.html) or buy one from MacRorie for $20+S/H (https://www.thebrewingacademy.com).

Edited by Brentarian, Wed Aug 8, 2018 7:52 PM.

#4 Mark loves Stella OFFLINE  

Mark loves Stella

Star Raider

• 50 posts

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2018 9:36 PM

New XEGS owner here, and it didn't take me long to learn first-hand how awful the keyboard is - so mushy with no feedback to speak of! With that said, has anyone purchased and installed the "improved silicone cups" upgrade from Best? Is it worth the $20 price tag? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The attached picture is a screenshot from Best's site with a description of the upgrade...

I had an old Dell SK-8135 in bad condition. I reused the cups in my 130XE keyboard. They did the trick. Feels like a real keyboard now. Gives a nice pop back feel. 

#5 darwinmac OFFLINE  

darwinmac

Chopper Commander

• 120 posts

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2018 11:44 PM

I have the XE Touch upgrade. I think it is worth it. However, it still will not be as good as a PS/2 keyboard using a TK-II.

Since I like using the original keyboard, the XE Touch upgrade makes it usable for me.

Bob C

#6 Nezgar OFFLINE  

Nezgar

Dragonstomper

• 896 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 12:47 AM

I tried to order the XE Touch from BEST earlier this year, and he said it was out of stock. I just got a couple mylars which fixed the dead keys which was my primary goal anyway.

#7 sixersfan105 OFFLINE  

sixersfan105

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 505 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 5:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

#8 kheller2 OFFLINE  

kheller2

Stargunner

• 1,173 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:58 PM

I had an old Dell SK-8135 in bad condition. I reused the cups in my 130XE keyboard. They did the trick. Feels like a real keyboard now. Gives a nice pop back feel.

Really? I’ve got one of those sitting around. I hadn’t considered finding modern day keyboard guts to swap in with the XE. Hmmm. I wonder what else I got laying around that can be abused.

#9 Sugarland OFFLINE  

Sugarland

Chopper Commander

• 171 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:55 AM

I got XE touch kits (or bags) and they are an improvement. $20 is expensive for what you're getting. That's my biggest issue with them. If you plan on typing a lot on it then yes it's worth it *if* you want to keep the original look of your XEGS setup. A PS2 keyboard would be nicer for typing of course.

#10 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• 1,461 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:26 AM

Didn't best sell keyboard springs for the XEs as well?

#11 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 9,276 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:59 AM

Didn't best sell keyboard springs for the XEs as well?

yes, at least they did years and years ago. Back in the early 90's I upgraded my XE with the ST/TT keyboard replacement springs (actually you added them to the originals that they were bigger than so they fit over them) from Best Electronics. It made a decent improvement of the XE keyboard but it was still a far cry from the worst of the XL keyboards, not to mention 800 or nearly any other micro of the day with a real keyboard...maybe better than the Commodore Plus/4...in the end I ended up upgrading to my 1200XL and keyboard from my 130XE and never looked back.

#12 kheller2 OFFLINE  

kheller2

Stargunner

• 1,173 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:03 AM

Is there a thread on the different XE keyboards and the 800 similar to the 6/800xl thread?

#13 bandit OFFLINE  

bandit

Chopper Commander

• 188 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:55 AM

yes, at least they did years and years ago. Back in the early 90's I upgraded my XE with the ST/TT keyboard replacement springs (actually you added them to the originals that they were bigger than so they fit over them) from Best Electronics. It made a decent improvement of the XE keyboard but it was still a far cry from the worst of the XL keyboards, not to mention 800 or nearly any other micro of the day with a real keyboard...maybe better than the Commodore Plus/4...in the end I ended up upgrading to my 1200XL and keyboard from my 130XE and never looked back.

There called "Mega Touch" and used on ST,XE and MAc I still have some some where, They realy helped the XE soft keyboards .

#14 sixersfan105 OFFLINE  

sixersfan105

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 505 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:59 AM

There called "Mega Touch" and used on ST,XE and MAc I still have some some where, They realy helped the XE soft keyboards .

Any idea if the Mega Touch springs are still in stock? They sound intriguing.

#15 bandit OFFLINE  

bandit

Chopper Commander

• 188 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 AM

Any idea if the Mega Touch springs are still in stock? They sound intriguing.

I bought these from a store, but Best Made and sold them . You can call them, they might have them still.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010327.JPG

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users