IGNORED

Finally scored a Jag, but now a question

matthew954

Ok, I FINALLY managed to score a Jag on eBay. 140 shipped for just the console and a 3 button controller. NOW I'm in the market for a power supply and AV cables to connect to the TV. I have an aftermarket power supply I've been using on my model 1 Genesis and Atari 5200. It is capable of switching both the voltage and the polarity. I'm assuming I can use it for both the Jag and the Genny. But what settings are required? I know the Jag runs at 9 volts, but what polarity should I use? Or should I just find a genuine atari power supply online? This is the unit I've been using with my Genny and my 5200.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Original-Power-Powerline-1300-mA-Universal-AC-Adapter/16778839

from the FAQ

Q. Was there a difference in Jaguar games/units sold in different countries?

Do I need to keep track of PAL and NTSC versions of a game?

A. There is no difference in the Jaguar game software. A properly-written
Jaguar game detects PAL or NTSC at startup and changes the playfield size
and game speeds accordingly. A properly-written Jaguar game will run at
the same speed on either machine. There are no regional or national
market lock-outs as there are for other game consoles.

The Jaguar consoles themselves were configured differently, according to
the country they were sold in. The primary differences were in the video
output format (NTSC or PAL) and the power adapters (110 volt or 220 volt).
Due to the Jaguar's use of an external adapter, a step-down transformer is
not needed. A local PSU can be used so long as it matches these
specifications:

1. 9 volt direct current (DC)
2. 1.2 amps
3. Center pin negative

Seriously, do yourself a favor (and your Jaguar by not blowing it up) and just buy a brand new OEM power supply for the very low asking price of (IIRC) $10.95 from MyAtari on eBay. That is brand new.

EXACTLY why I asked lol. I've never spent this much on my hobby before. I'm already getting a bit paranoid about it, and it hasn't even shipped yet lol.

Just ordered a power supply from Goat Store LLC, video cables from eBay, and Cybermorph from here at Atariage. With luck in about a week I should be set.

Wow , 140 shipped no game and no power supply! :0

I consider myself lucky to even have one lol.

Good luck not spending a fortune.

Thankfully the ones I want most are Tempest 2000, Iron Soldier, and Astrostorm. The most expensive, I can wait till the flash cart comes out lol.

• Like 3

"Welcome to the party, pal!" :)

Yeah, an official PSU and maybe a Peritel cable (if you can find one) and you're good to go.

Of course, you'll also want a pro controller at some point (it's just better). Official ones cost more than the average family sedan at this point. But there will soon be a run of reproductions.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/271862-brand-new-atari-jaguar-pro-controllers-production-campagin/page-18?do=findComment&comment=4084310

You can get stupidly high quality cables from Retro-Access (https://retro-access.com/collections/atari-jaguar-cables) it's only a small shop and everything is hand made to order. Hence things say they are out of stock, unless you view the shop whilst it is "open".. Once they have reached their cable building limits, they take the shop offline and get building. Get in there quick if you want something good quality cables have high demand :)

Oh and of course, welcome to the madhouse, don't forget to not huff the fumes :D :D

Edited by LinkoVitch
  • Like 3

Well I bought a power supply from Goat Store LLC, and I ordered a video cable from Reid Circuits on eBay. And a copy of Cybermorph from here at AtariAge. I've been eyeing up both Tempest 2000 and Checkered Flag. But those games will likely have to wait for the time being.

Unless you happen to find someone who doesn't know what Atari Karts is worth (unlike given its rarity), whatever you pay will not be worth it. Play SMK on the SNES if you want a fun 2D kart game. With polish I think it could've been a pretty funny game, but it is mediocre at best although it does look great.

• Like 3

Don't bother with Checkered Flag, as it is a horrible game. If you want to jam to the music from Checkered Flag, just use YouTube.

Go with Cybermorph, Tempest 2000 and Iron Soldier, and if you want a good racing game, go with Super Burnout. Super Burnout is one of the hidden gems on the Jaguar and even has better music than Checkered Flag.

Super Burnout review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dq1h-TmN0k

• Like 1

super burnout and power drive rally are the best racing games, atari karts is ok, but with a $200 price tag you will be very dissapointed, checkerd flag is a 5 buck game that sucks, no 2 player mode, steering makes ot unplayable, same with supercross 3d, framerate makes it unplayable.

With game prices as high as they are, and very few AAA titles, i cant see being happy with any of these titles. Rayman is a great jag game but not a $200 value

• Like 1