Photo

Keystone Kapers 2

19 replies to this topic

#1 insertclevernamehere ONLINE  

insertclevernamehere

Chopper Commander

• 104 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:52 PM

Heard about this recently on the atari game by game podcast and checked what I could online. Not much but there's this youtube video. Just thought I'd share it with anyone who didn't know about it. Another new Atari 2600 game coming in 2018!

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=WWNG1Cjqr0Y

#2 Swami ONLINE  

Swami

River Patroller

• 2,226 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:13 PM

Heard about this recently on the atari game by game podcast and checked what I could online. Not much but there's this youtube video. Just thought I'd share it with anyone who didn't know about it. Another new Atari 2600 game coming in 2018!

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=WWNG1Cjqr0Y

I think this is an unfinished proto.

#3 insertclevernamehere ONLINE  

insertclevernamehere

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 104 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:26 PM

I think this is an unfinished proto.

The original, yes but if you watch the video, Garry Kitchen states he's reprogrammed the game and it should be released through atariage this year.

#4 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,176 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:27 PM

Awesome! Not much of a game obviously in the video, but the graphics and scrolling are pretty damned impressive! :love:

Very cool that he's taking the time to finish it after all these years.

#5 Swami ONLINE  

Swami

River Patroller

• 2,226 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:28 PM

The original, yes but if you watch the video, Garry Kitchen states he's reprogrammed the game and it should be released through atariage this year.

Well, that would be really cool. Really, REALLY cool of him. Most people have protos they don't even want to release and this guy it finishing the unfinished proto and releasing it. I'd like to see this done with more unfinished protos. Of course, some like to torture us and tell us they will and then never do. Let's hope that's not the case.

#6 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Stargunner

• 1,326 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:43 PM

It'll be a different game; about escaped circus animals on a train. (This was mentioned in the protos forum.)

#7 Spriggy OFFLINE  

Spriggy

Moonsweeper

• 308 posts
  • What???

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:52 PM

http://atariage.com/...apers-ii-found/

#8 Atari_Bill OFFLINE  

Atari_Bill

River Patroller

• 2,006 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 5:18 PM

It'll be a different game; about escaped circus animals on a train. (This was mentioned in the protos forum.)

The game premise sounds awesome! Greatly looking forward to it.

#9 mmervine OFFLINE  

mmervine

Moonsweeper

• 451 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 5:49 PM

This would be awesome!!!

#10 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

The Kraken

• 18,241 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 5:57 PM

Instead of "Keystone Kapers" it could be called "Lockstone Takers". Main character could be Lockstone Luke.   :)

#11 insertclevernamehere ONLINE  

insertclevernamehere

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 104 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:05 PM

Before somebody points out I got the wrong Kitchen, I just noticed myself. Dan Kitchen. Not Garry. Sorry Dan.

#12 AW127 ONLINE  

AW127

Moonsweeper

• 324 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:11 PM

Looks great, especially i like the whole scrolling thing here with the landscape. Now a good gaming concept is needed for good playability, the graphics already great here.

#13 cimmerian OFFLINE  

cimmerian

Moonsweeper

• 281 posts

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:51 PM

I thought I'd provide an update for everyone following the news on this highly anticipated game! :-)

I'm happy to announce that ZeroPage Homebrew will be exclusively debuting TWO new WIP games from Dan Kitchen on an upcoming Twitch livestream!!

1) Keystone Kapers 2 (aka Keystone Cannonball): The game will be written completely from scratch with a new name. "The train will be a runaway circus train with various exotic animals to avoid. Each level ends when the player locates a varying number of engine parts that have been scattered in and around the train cars and makes their way to the locomotive to stop the train before time runs out."
2) Bon Voyage:  "Activision-style game where the player pilots the Titanic from Southampton to the Americas"

You can check out the links in my signature to keep updated on the details as I get them from Dan. :-) I'm really looking forward to playing these two work-in-progress games for you live on an upcoming episode of ZeroPage!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180823-Daniel Kitchen New Games.png

#14 Rom Hunter OFFLINE  

Rom Hunter

VCS Games Archivist

• 8,922 posts
  • Obtainer of Rare Antiquities

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:14 AM

I thought I'd provide an update for everyone following the news on this highly anticipated game! :-)

I'm happy to announce that ZeroPage Homebrew will be exclusively debuting TWO new WIP games from Dan Kitchen on an upcoming Twitch livestream!!

1) Keystone Kapers 2 (aka Keystone Cannonball): The game will be written completely from scratch with a new name. "The train will be a runaway circus train with various exotic animals to avoid. Each level ends when the player locates a varying number of engine parts that have been scattered in and around the train cars and makes their way to the locomotive to stop the train before time runs out."
2) Bon Voyage:  "Activision-style game where the player pilots the Titanic from Southampton to the Americas"

You can check out the links in my signature to keep updated on the details as I get them from Dan. :-) I'm really looking forward to playing these two work-in-progress games for you live on an upcoming episode of ZeroPage!!

That's great news!

I have one question: will the original, unfinished ROM be made public eventually?

Would love to archive it in the Atarimania database it for VCS video game history sake.

8)

#15 Supergun ONLINE  

Supergun

Stargunner

• 1,014 posts

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:51 AM

Well, one thing is certain, the Keystone Cannonball rom is now dumped. The emulated pic they posted is the proof. So wether its ever made public or not, at least we know its safe now.

#16 insertclevernamehere ONLINE  

insertclevernamehere

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 104 posts

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:30 AM

I hope these will get boxed cartridge releases. Two definite future purchases for me. That's even without seeing the 2nd game. Southampton, England is my hometown and I love the premise. Plus if it's Dan Kitchen, it's going to be great anyway.

#17 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 10,876 posts

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:18 AM

Just want to say I love your channel. Fantastic quality videos and love the longplays to really see the game play and your opinions as you play them

#18 Coolcrab OFFLINE  

Coolcrab

Moonsweeper

• 371 posts

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:03 AM

The question is, does this count as homebrew or is it an official release? :P

#19 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 10,876 posts

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:25 PM

Any chance this game will be finished for the PRGE this year?

#20 cimmerian OFFLINE  

cimmerian

Moonsweeper

• 281 posts

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:34 PM

That's great news!
I have one question: will the original, unfinished ROM be made public eventually?
Would love to archive it in the Atarimania database it for VCS video game history sake.

He said he might release the original prototype ROM and that it would be after he's finished his new reworking of "Keystone Kapers 2" if he does.

Just want to say I love your channel. Fantastic quality videos and love the longplays to really see the game play and your opinions as you play them

Thank you so much for watching the show AtariLeaf, it's been a fun six months so far! It's a blast doing the livestreams and showcasing all the amazing programming talent out there for the VCS! Every new game blows me away at the continuing innovation that is still available from a 40+ year old console!

The question is, does this count as homebrew or is it an official release? icon_razz.gif

That's actually a good question. If he was continuing to finish off the code he was working on back in the day it might be a bit of both since it was both before and after the discontinuation of the system? Since he's programming the new version of the game from scratch I think it definitely counts as homebrew in this case. :-)

Any chance this game will be finished for the PRGE this year?

He's stated that he intends to publish it through AtariAge and they have a booth at PRGE so I would at least think there would be a demo of it ready to show off. The most he's revealed for a release date is 'later this year' so it's a possibility but since we're only about 6-7 weeks away from PRGE I don't think there will be a boxed copy on cart with manual in that short of time. You never know! I'll definitely keep people up to date. :-)

Edited by cimmerian, Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:36 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users