Photo

The Legend of Zelda: A Link To the Past Review (played on a Super NT)

14 replies to this topic

#1 Rocket Man OFFLINE  

Rocket Man

Chopper Commander

• 101 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 7:17 PM

I recently finished The Legend of Zelda: A Link To the Past.  It was an amazing roller coaster ride from start to finish. Even though I had to resort to walkthroughs on a constant basis, it was still a rewarding experience in top form.  Overall, the difficulty was minimal, but the fun factor was extremely high and full of brilliant events.  It had bright moments and it had dark moments.  It had joy and it had despair.  The story was solid, the graphics were amazing, and the gameplay mechanics were spot on.  I think it is a perfect video game in every sense, equally as impressive as Super Metroid.

Having only beaten the original Legend of Zelda when I was a kid, this is my second Zelda game to complete.  Ocarina of Time for the N64 is next on my Zelda agenda.  I hope the company Analogue makes an N64 in the same vein as the Super NT.

I completed this and Super Metroid this year; two games that, as a Gamer, should be enjoyed by all who enjoy the 8 and 16 Bit era.  That should go without saying, but I'm not sure why I waited this long to enjoy these two amazing Classic Masterpieces.  They are two of the best video games I've ever played, in all respects.

Playing them on a 54" Panasonic Plasma screen, with a Super NT in 1080p, rendered in fullscreen, with all the brilliant color and crispness afforded by that technology, is unmatched by any other setup I've witnessed.  CRT setups don't even come close... I never thought I'd admit that.  I always held dear to the idea that nothing could surpass playing these old games on a quality CRT in Composite, but now that I've seen what can be done with these newer FPGA based systems in HDMI; I am a firm believer that old games when properly rendered in a widescreen resolution, can be stunning and without comprimises.

2018 is an exciting time to be experiencing the 8 and 16 Bit era of games and I'm loving every minute of it!

#2 Jin ONLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 2,857 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 7:39 PM

Nice little review! Link to the Past is definitely an amazing game, though you did touch on my one complaint about it: The frequent need for a strategy guide just to figure out where to go and what to do. Thankfully Nintendo wised up to this problem in later Zelda games like The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess and started providing you with more clear direction, but the necessity of aimless wandering in the earlier Zelda games does drag the experience down a little. There's no doubt that Link to the Past is one of gaming's all time greats though and should be played at least once by everyone with an interest in the 16-bit era. :)

Personally I still need to play Star Fox and Super Metroid. I grew up with the Genesis and have never owned a Super Nintendo (nor do I have space in my gaming center for one) but I'd still really like to play through those classics at some point. Super Metroid I could emulate on my Wii or download from the 3DS Virtual Console, but playing Star Fox will be a bit of a challenge since it lags like crazy when emulated on the Wii and isn't available on the Virtual Console. I'm starting to think I might have to just shell out the cash for a SNES Classic Mini at some point.

#3 Rocket Man OFFLINE  

Rocket Man

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 101 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17 AM

Nice little review! Link to the Past is definitely an amazing game, though you did touch on my one complaint about it: The frequent need for a strategy guide just to figure out where to go and what to do. Thankfully Nintendo wised up to this problem in later Zelda games like The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess and started providing you with more clear direction, but the necessity of aimless wandering in the earlier Zelda games does drag the experience down a little. There's no doubt that Link to the Past is one of gaming's all time greats though and should be played at least once by everyone with an interest in the 16-bit era. :)

Personally I still need to play Star Fox and Super Metroid. I grew up with the Genesis and have never owned a Super Nintendo (nor do I have space in my gaming center for one) but I'd still really like to play through those classics at some point. Super Metroid I could emulate on my Wii or download from the 3DS Virtual Console, but playing Star Fox will be a bit of a challenge since it lags like crazy when emulated on the Wii and isn't available on the Virtual Console. I'm starting to think I might have to just shell out the cash for a SNES Classic Mini at some point.

Thanks for checking it out.  I feel like most gamers don't have the same, "I feel clueless, where do I go" moments that I usually experience... feels good knowing someone else shares my sentiment.

Star Fox is badass for what it is, but imo: it feels really dated with the frame rate issues.  It's a pleasure in some respects, but still painful to force myself through the poor framerates.  It runs really well on the Super NT even though that custom board isn't 'fully supported' yet.

Super Metroid however... wow, what a game.  It touched me like no other game has (I'll do a review on it in the future), again played on the Super NT in glorious 1080p Widescreen.  I needed a walkthrough a couple times, but felt silly after looking, because it was more or less easy to figure out: I just became a little impatient and wanted to continue the amazing experience. 

With regard to the SNES Classic Mini: I wouldn't recommend it.  As an ultra simple way to play some SNES, I'd recommend it, but if you care about graphics and have the money: the Super NT from Analogue is the way to go... it's a superior experience hands down.  There are graphical and sound artifacts on the SNES Classic Mini that imo, are unacceptable whereas there are only minor pop sound issues on the Super NT.  The Super NT also has pixel perfect graphics, as well as myriad options on how to render the software.  I'll be doing a review on both the Super NT and AVS consoles in the near future: they are hands down, out of this world, fantastic for playing their respective libraries on a current widescreen resolution.

#4 Jin ONLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 2,857 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:28 AM

It's funny but the biggest reason I haven't gotten a SNES Classic Mini is just due to the height of the corner TV stand that I have my modern TV on being too tall. It's fine for watching television but whenever I try to play games on it the viewing angle gives me crazy neck pain after half an hour or so, which leads me to only play video games on the CRT TV in my retro gaming center because I'm too much of a cheapskate to shell out $150 for a new corner TV stand for the modern TV. :lol:

I'm fine with that for the most part though. I miss out on any systems that require HDMI to hook up but I like the way games look on my Sony KV-20FS120 WEGA Trinitron CRT TV, it feels authentic to the way I remember them looking growing up. At some point I'm sure I'll get a shorter stand for the modern TV and start playing more modern systems again, for now though it's just too much of a (literal) pain in the neck to mess with anything that outputs HDMI.
  • jhd likes this

#5 youxia ONLINE  

youxia

Moonsweeper

• 428 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:40 AM

CRT setups don't even come close...

Another day, another bit of hardware revisionist history is being made :)

#6 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,168 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:12 AM

Kind of a hybrid mini gloss review of Zelda and as much or more the Super NT.  I've got both as well and I'd back that up about how amazingly well that system pretends to do as the original did and with all the added boosts the obvious being the HD output.  I never thought I'd see such clarity out of the old games that would rival using a PC LCD/CRT setup on an emulator but it's there.

And you're right, CRT doesn't come close, just those lost in the past who covet their blur feel they do.  Outside of the loss of playing old light gun games, there is no loss, only gain when you lose the bleeding colors, general soft blur of the old style screens, and other artifacts they had going for them over RF or RCA cables.  Emulators 20 years ago before HDTV was a thing spoiled me perhaps, or I got ahead of the curve but I've preferred that sharp crisp look where the intended art was clean and not hidden behind the limits of pre-HD screens.

#7 icemanxp300 OFFLINE  

icemanxp300

River Patroller

• 4,759 posts

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:43 PM

CRT setups don't even come close... I never thought I'd admit that.  I always held dear to the idea that nothing could surpass playing these old games on a quality CRT in Composite,

Not really a fair comparison. Compare CRT in Component or RGB form.

#8 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

Telephone Sanitizer

• 14,228 posts

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:59 PM

I really want to complete Super Metroid ...I'm thinking I will learn it on 3DS then maybe do another run through (which should be faster) on the Super NT. It's cool that we have such options.

#9 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,155 posts

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:59 PM

Nice review, and touched on everything in the game.

You like that, you should check out links awakening on gameboy. It really is a portable version of the same game and shares a lot of style and elements from link to the past. Oracle of seasons/ages is also great. Having a split world in two carts is an interesting mechanic.

#10 Rocket Man OFFLINE  

Rocket Man

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 101 posts

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:48 PM

It's funny but the biggest reason I haven't gotten a SNES Classic Mini is just due to the height of the corner TV stand that I have my modern TV on being too tall. It's fine for watching television but whenever I try to play games on it the viewing angle gives me crazy neck pain after half an hour or so, which leads me to only play video games on the CRT TV in my retro gaming center because I'm too much of a cheapskate to shell out $150 for a new corner TV stand for the modern TV. :lol:

I'm fine with that for the most part though. I miss out on any systems that require HDMI to hook up but I like the way games look on my Sony KV-20FS120 WEGA Trinitron CRT TV, it feels authentic to the way I remember them looking growing up. At some point I'm sure I'll get a shorter stand for the modern TV and start playing more modern systems again, for now though it's just too much of a (literal) pain in the neck to mess with anything that outputs HDMI.

So no current Gen systems then? Ouch! :(  ;)

#11 Rocket Man OFFLINE  

Rocket Man

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 101 posts

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:56 PM

Kind of a hybrid mini gloss review of Zelda and as much or more the Super NT.  I've got both as well and I'd back that up about how amazingly well that system pretends to do as the original did and with all the added boosts the obvious being the HD output.  I never thought I'd see such clarity out of the old games that would rival using a PC LCD/CRT setup on an emulator but it's there.

And you're right, CRT doesn't come close, just those lost in the past who covet their blur feel they do.  Outside of the loss of playing old light gun games, there is no loss, only gain when you lose the bleeding colors, general soft blur of the old style screens, and other artifacts they had going for them over RF or RCA cables.  Emulators 20 years ago before HDTV was a thing spoiled me perhaps, or I got ahead of the curve but I've preferred that sharp crisp look where the intended art was clean and not hidden behind the limits of pre-HD screens.

I absolutely agree 10 fold! The increase in clarity for the textures and effects is unbelievable and I can't understand how I used to think the old blurry look was so awesome.  I mean, it is what it is... and I'll still play Composite on my old 27" Trinitron, sitting up close... because it works, but at this point, I want an FPGA system for ALL the old systems, because I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment, "sharp crisp look where the intended art was clean and not hidden behind the limits of pre-HD screens".

Not really a fair comparison. Compare CRT in Component or RGB form.

True, that would look good too.  I play my PC on a 17" iMag sitting 1-2' away and it looks as HD as anything available, so trust me... I know how good a CRT can look.  That's why I game on a 4:3 CRT monitor for my PC Gaming.

That doesn't help me though  because the only system I have that natively kicks out an RGB resolution is the Genny... everything else would have to be modified.  I prefer to have Analogue or a similar company make an FPGA system with HDMI out, for all the old systems, from the NES up to the N64.  I'm not sure what the Saturn and Dreamcast output, but I'm sure I'd have to mod something... besides, the MAIN advantage of having the FPGA based system, is that I can customize the output/size to match my screen... NONE of the old systems will do that natively, which is why I made the comparison I made.  You didn't take that into account though, did ya...  8)

I really want to complete Super Metroid ...I'm thinking I will learn it on 3DS then maybe do another run through (which should be faster) on the Super NT. It's cool that we have such options.

I advise you to play it on a full screen to get the best impression/experience.

Nice review, and touched on everything in the game.

You like that, you should check out links awakening on gameboy. It really is a portable version of the same game and shares a lot of style and elements from link to the past. Oracle of seasons/ages is also great. Having a split world in two carts is an interesting mechanic.

I definitely will someday, as well as the two Gameboy Color games! Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by Rocket Man, Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:57 PM.

#12 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,168 posts

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:51 AM

Links Awakening DX would be the best to go for, but as fair warning as much as they got overly deserved Nintendo default love in the day the Ages/Seasons game kind of suck depending on your taste.  They took the concept of progression in the game to a huge extreme with both linearity and also tenaciously annoying levels of backtracking.  A FAQ of PDF scan of the guide for that duo will show as much.  The overworld in places is so linear it's nearly like a 1 link wide space you have to walk from A-B in areas.  In the dungeons example I can use best is a mining car run.  To get both the big key and also the item of the dungeon plus to the boss you have to ride a set of tracks in a car.  You have to basically backtrack the dungeon like a half dozen times to get the stuff which is far worse than it was in the day or even after where it was like a one and done (twice at worst) deviation from door to main boss to get those items along that way.  The games are fun at a base level but very annoying and draining with that stuff to the point I quit on them.

Links Awakening DX though is like a sequel to the SNES game in quality and design, it doesn't have so much aggravation tied to it, and the DX release on GBC had an added full color dungeon and some nice tweaks and additions rendering the old one pointless (plus a percentage of them have a game breaking bug about 1/2 into it anyway you don't want to be victim of since you can't tell from the outside if you have a v1.0 ROM in there outside of a players choice copy (if that exists I forget?)

#13 Rocket Man OFFLINE  

Rocket Man

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 101 posts

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2018 6:22 PM

Links Awakening DX would be the best to go for, but as fair warning as much as they got overly deserved Nintendo default love in the day the Ages/Seasons game kind of suck depending on your taste.  They took the concept of progression in the game to a huge extreme with both linearity and also tenaciously annoying levels of backtracking.  A FAQ of PDF scan of the guide for that duo will show as much.  The overworld in places is so linear it's nearly like a 1 link wide space you have to walk from A-B in areas.  In the dungeons example I can use best is a mining car run.  To get both the big key and also the item of the dungeon plus to the boss you have to ride a set of tracks in a car.  You have to basically backtrack the dungeon like a half dozen times to get the stuff which is far worse than it was in the day or even after where it was like a one and done (twice at worst) deviation from door to main boss to get those items along that way.  The games are fun at a base level but very annoying and draining with that stuff to the point I quit on them.

Links Awakening DX though is like a sequel to the SNES game in quality and design, it doesn't have so much aggravation tied to it, and the DX release on GBC had an added full color dungeon and some nice tweaks and additions rendering the old one pointless (plus a percentage of them have a game breaking bug about 1/2 into it anyway you don't want to be victim of since you can't tell from the outside if you have a v1.0 ROM in there outside of a players choice copy (if that exists I forget?)

Thanks for that heads-up! :thumbsup: I suppose that means I'll need the updated version of the ROM, seeing as I don't collect cartridges any longer. ;)

#14 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,168 posts

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2018 9:14 PM

I only know it well because I had the crap cart and couldn't get a refund on it.  It was demoralizing as I played the game twice before I realized it was nothing I could supposedly get around.  I think it's the Face Shrine, you walk into a room, get a key jingle, and after clearing the room the key never drops.  You're basically screwed, start over, and hope the bug isn't triggered the next time (for with me it did happen which was rare beyond rare for twice.)  I ended up selling the stupid thing off and replacing with DX and then I finished it.

#15 Rocket Man OFFLINE  

Rocket Man

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 101 posts

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:38 PM

I only know it well because I had the crap cart and couldn't get a refund on it.  It was demoralizing as I played the game twice before I realized it was nothing I could supposedly get around.  I think it's the Face Shrine, you walk into a room, get a key jingle, and after clearing the room the key never drops.  You're basically screwed, start over, and hope the bug isn't triggered the next time (for with me it did happen which was rare beyond rare for twice.)  I ended up selling the stupid thing off and replacing with DX and then I finished it.

Yikes... at least you got it sorted.  Thanks again.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users