Altirra 3.10 released

altirra emulation

412 replies to this topic

#226 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,586 posts

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:22 PM

• Added emulation support for the APE Warp+ OS 32-in-1.

Hah, wow, thanks! If I only saw this post before I spent hours last night manually splicing out the Menu OS from the bigger 512K image to test, which only got me memopad, enough to verify the font patched, and had to burn the whole deal to the real flash chip and swaperoo into the real machine a few times. :)

Anyone got a clean 32 in 1 rom dump....

[snip snip]

also on Nezgars dump he has a test rom that just goes bonkers when activated..

[snip snip]

Sussed the Omnimon entry way...just hit reset and then hit select or option, can't hod them down straight away..

I take it the normal speed boot under APE+ OS is right until you press reset which then seems to activate the warp loader...I imagine its there for copy protected disks but as it needs a warp speed drive I can't tell if it disables warp speed ie happy off on its booting and then re-enables the Happy if reset is pressed?

My 'clean' 32-in-1 ROM dump as supplied from AtariMax is in this post: http://atariage.com/...imax/?p=4160354

Regarding shoestring's test rom that 'goes bonkers' - it does make some interesting sounds with a black screen for the first minute or so before any visual information is presented.:) Then it takes another ~5-10 minutes to complete the rest, with beeps throughout - try the original OS ROM if you want to see if behaviour is any different when different loading it directly: http://atariage.com/...ster/?p=4103968

I saw an option in Altirra to set function keys to hold for next reset, maybe that can be used to hold select for Omnimon?

I've found the APE Warp+ OS supports divisors 0xA and slower, but if presented with anything faster like 0x9 on a Speedy, it drops to 1x SIO. It may then be stuck in 1x until a reset. Hias' HSIO patch is probably better overall in this day and age for best compatibility with HSIO support. Hias' patch also safeguards against corruption with happy drives with non-buffered UltraSpeed writes to single density disks by sending the write-buffer enable command on initialization.

#227 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 7,464 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:08 PM

My 32-in-1 has a beta APE Warp OS which works much better.  Machine is currently not together though, it will be a while before I can dig it out.  I believe it was like beta or rev11.

#228 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,586 posts

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:08 PM

My 32-in-1 has a beta APE Warp OS which works much better.  Machine is currently not together though, it will be a while before I can dig it out.  I believe it was like beta or rev11.

There's a "Warp+ OS r11" option 4 in my ROM from AtariMax. Never actually tried it - I'll check it out.

#229 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Retro Madman

• 6,369 posts

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:48 AM

Hi Nezgar,

Grabbed the clean dump thank you, found out I had already grabbed but at least I know it was clean..

Thanks re the tester...I put Altirra in warp mode for a few secs but it made no difference so gave up, wasn't expecting such a gap :)

Nice to know it works...

Just tried the r11 Ape os beta and it just makes a non boot sound continuously.....Not played as I only just tried it but not seeing what it could be...(will try other 1050 happy firmware etc)

Didn't know about Hisofts patch...Will look through my stuff for it unless you know a quick link?

Thank you...

Paul...

#230 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,586 posts

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:54 AM

Didn't know about Hisofts patch...Will look through my stuff for it unless you know a quick link?

Hey Paul,

#231 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Retro Madman

• 6,369 posts

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:33 AM

Thanks Niezgar...

Got the patcher from Hias's page and patched a rom, very nice...Now to try that other rom you linked to....Great info

Thanks..

#232 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 14,335 posts

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:13 PM

Reminder in case it escaped anyone: you can use Hias' high-speed driver with any stock OS of your choosing if you emulate U1MB with the latest firmware.

#233 bfollowell OFFLINE  

bfollowell

Chopper Commander

• 107 posts

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:00 AM

phaeron, I have to say that I love Altirra! I'd been a Atari800Win Plus guy for quite some time and was always pleased with it. I finally gave in a few months back and started playing around with Altirra and I have to say that I am quite impressed. I certainly have nothing against Atari800Win Plus, but the last revision dates back almost seven full years. There's just something to be said about an app that has an active following and is being actively developed and improved. Awesome work!

The only thing I can see that could be improved upon would be if a Raspberry Pi compatible version could be put out. I've heard rumors that something like that may be coming, but I don't know if they're really more than rumors.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

#234 fujidude OFFLINE  

fujidude

Quadrunner

• 5,217 posts

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:55 AM

The only thing I can see that could be improved upon would be if a Raspberry Pi compatible version could be put out.

You might want to duck.

#235 bfollowell OFFLINE  

bfollowell

Chopper Commander

• 107 posts

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:40 PM

You might want to duck.

Been brought up before, has it?

I skimmed the thread, but didn't read through all ten pages of posts.

#236 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 14,335 posts

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:49 PM

There's an ARM64 build of the emulator now, and an ARM build of Windows 10... I don't own a Pi, though, so I have no idea how one would go about it.

#237 fujidude OFFLINE  

fujidude

Quadrunner

• 5,217 posts

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:45 PM

There's an ARM64 build of the emulator now, and an ARM build of Windows 10... I don't own a Pi, though, so I have no idea how one would go about it.

There's an ARM64 build of Altirra?  That's cool for anyone planning to run Windows on ARM.  As for myself though; I'm not planning on running Windows on ARM (or much of anything else actually).  Anyhow, when I saw bfollowell's request for a Pi version, I automatically was thinking "oh oh, that would be a Linux version."

Been brought up before, has it?

I skimmed the thread, but didn't read through all ten pages of posts.

Yes, I have tried to lobby for a Linux version at least once (perhaps twice) before.  The short version is Avery isn't the least bit interested at this time or for the foreseeable future.  The good news is that it does run under Wine within Linux for those who use x86 hardware.

#238 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 14,335 posts

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:01 PM

For the really adventurous, it's apparently possible to run WINE on a Raspberry Pi. :)

#239 Mr Robot OFFLINE  

Mr Robot

Dragonstomper

• 641 posts
  • Lost in the Robot Factory

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:08 PM

Windows 10 on Raspberry Pi is nowhere near being ready for primetime, no drivers for the vdu, sound, usb, ethernet yet. it runs, takes about 3 minutes to boot and it's not awful once running but its pretty limited right now. There is a lot of work being done to improve things but I don't think Microsoft made it so it could be run on a Pi, it's for when pc's move away from x86 cpus in the near future. Apple are rumored to be doing the same now their own arm procs are faster than i7's 

wine on pi is painful, but not as painful as qemu on pi

Edited by Mr Robot, Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:09 PM.

#240 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Retro Madman

• 6,369 posts

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:50 PM

Also people looking for the AMD version have to note its only updated on final releases, there's no beta builds of it...

As for a Pi, I was gifted one in a trade, no idea what to do with it, its an early version I'm told...

And anyone with hopes of other builds, hope may be all you have as Avery has been very vocal about the versions he makes and what won't be made (as it stands)..

As known, he's in the computer industry (massive DOH if you don't think that anyway but he said so in a one off review in the beloved Excel magazine.. ) but he's also very busy...We get what we get and we smile as its top class software..

Edited by Mclaneinc, Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:50 PM.

#241 MrFish ONLINE  

MrFish

• 5,371 posts

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:03 PM

Also people looking for the AMD version have to note its only updated on final releases, there's no beta builds of it...

I think you mean ARM.

#242 Mr Robot OFFLINE  

Mr Robot

Dragonstomper

• 641 posts
  • Lost in the Robot Factory

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:18 PM

As for a Pi, I was gifted one in a trade, no idea what to do with it, its an early version I'm told...

https://pi-hole.net/

#243 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Retro Madman

• 6,369 posts

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:19 AM

I think you mean ARM.

With my eyesight and aching fingers that's close enough for me :)

Seriously, yes, thanks for the edit kind sir, info is only good if its accurate!!

Ta as we say in the UK...(means thanks)

#244 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Retro Madman

• 6,369 posts

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:22 AM

Ta Mr R,

I'd seen emulators using various versions but some of them need a better model and as I'm spoiled on the PC with great emulators I've not indulged but I'll probably gift it to a person at some point as it was a gift to me..Not even tried it......As said, it was tucked in as an add on freebie during an Amiga mega swap...

#245 Alfred OFFLINE  

Alfred

Moonsweeper

• 420 posts

Posted Sat Dec 1, 2018 9:23 AM

The BlackBox supports 19 bit sector addressing, although it's currently unused. Would the Altirra VHD emulation support translating the higher sectors if there was a DOS that tried using it ? I'm thinking yes, because it must already support the big numbers since the BB can start a partition anywhere on the drive. Since the actual translation from sector to cylinder is done by the BB, I'm assuming there wouldn't be any changes required to the PBI intercept code. It'll take a custom i/o routine anyway, since the OS only uses two byte sector numbers.

#246 phaeron OFFLINE  

phaeron

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,675 posts

Posted Sat Dec 1, 2018 2:32 PM

Altirra's SCSI emulation supports 21-bit LBA with the READ (6) command and 32-bit LBA with READ (10), so you can read/write up to 2TB.

There is no actual CHS addressing in the BlackBox. It's SCSI-based, so it's LBA all the way through.

#247 JAC! OFFLINE  

JAC!

Stargunner

• 1,815 posts
  • Always looking for GFX and MSX for my demos

Posted Sat Dec 1, 2018 5:31 PM

Hi Avery,

Minor question on the Cartridge Mapper Selector: Is there any difference between type 32 "1M MegaCart" and the blank "Megacart 1M"? Or maybe it's just duplicate?

Megacart.png

I've also asked Kr0tki if we can have a dedicated ID for the 1M MaxFlash with initial bank 0. 

#248 phaeron OFFLINE  

phaeron

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,675 posts

Posted Sun Dec 2, 2018 1:11 AM

It's a different cart, it uses an 8K banking window instead of 16K. The confusion is because everyone who creates a new cartridge type calls it Megacart.

#249 JAC! OFFLINE  

JAC!

Stargunner

• 1,815 posts
  • Always looking for GFX and MSX for my demos

Posted Sun Dec 2, 2018 2:31 PM

It's a different cart, it uses an 8K banking window instead of 16K. The confusion is because everyone who creates a new cartridge type calls it Megacart.

Indeed, naming is something an issue in this area. I've checked the src found the differences:

case kATCartridgeMode_MaxFlash_1024K:
  case kATCartridgeMode_MaxFlash_1024K_Bank0:
   bank1Base = 0xA0;
   bank1Size = 0x20;
   usecctl = true;
   usecctlread = true;
   usecctlwrite = true;
   cctlhd.mpReadHandler = ReadByte_CCTL_MaxFlash_1024K;

case kATCartridgeMode_MegaCart_1M_2:
   bank1Base = 0xA0;
   bank1Size = 0x20;
   usecctl = true;
   usecctlwrite = true;
   cctlhd.mpWriteHandler = WriteByte_CCTL_DataToBank_Switchable<0x3F>;
   break;

Very interesting use of  C++ templates. Didn't see it used like this before.

#250 phaeron OFFLINE  

phaeron

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,675 posts

Posted Sun Dec 2, 2018 2:55 PM

Yup, that's a non-type template parameter. Not as common as a type parameter but still very useful.

The annoying thing is that I can't find the original cart image I used to test that mode. It might be the ABBUC MegaCart, but it's unfortunately in a window where I lost a bunch of testing images in an SSD crash. I have a suspicion that the mapping might have a bug because the banking mask only allows mapping 512K of the image (64 * 8K = 512K).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: altirra, emulation

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users