IGNORED

How to remove scratches on the reflective part of the 7800

zoo237

Yeah, unless you happen to still have the protective plastic on those strips...those scratches are essentially just there I'm afraid. It makes sense why some people left the protective plastic on the strips to help minimize scratches, but at the same time, over the years that plastic starts to bond permanently with the aluminium strip making it nearly impossible to remove with out leaving nasty residue behind that is also nearly impossible to remove. I made that mistake on a 7800 a few years back that still had the protective plastic on it.

• Like 1

At least the 7800 chrome is (or seems to me anyway), a bit tougher than the 5200 chrome strip, which gets scratches when anorexic flies land on it wearing ballet shoes.

I wish somebody was making aftermarket versions of both.

Would not even need be metalic as far as I am concerned. The scratched and dented ones look terrible and nearly all of the ones I have encountered are beat.

I can do a laser printed decal on "silver" vinyl, it looks as bad as it sounds, it might work if one sits there with a heat gun and does a wrap effect but then the dents show unless you do some body filler hot rod fix em up stuff, and if one knows how to do all that its not going to be a problem in the first place

• Like 1

I can do a laser printed decal on "silver" vinyl, it looks as bad as it sounds, it might work if one sits there with a heat gun and does a wrap effect but then the dents show unless you do some body filler hot rod fix em up stuff, and if one knows how to do all that its not going to be a problem in the first place

I dont get it.. if one knows how to fix it it will not be a problem in the first place?

Yeah I've tried some custom cut vinyl cuts/stickers...it's a pain because the 5200 has a freakin hole under the strip, and the 7800 has (If I recall right) a divot, and they have to be filled if you use a sticker. Besides scraping off EVERY BIT of goo and glue that was under there for 25+ years. I did that, and did use a filler and tried a sticker...meh. There is actually some decent looking vinyl "metal" out there, but it was very hard to get the edges right (So I simplified it and removed the angles at the ends) and it showed every tiny bump. And at the end of the day, it was just silver, no logo.

I finally found a PRISTINE 5200 a few years ago (well strip wise, still had the plastic on it, but the flip lid was busted, but I had a spare) and after a controller brushing it briefly a couple times..scratches. That strip may as well be made of frosting.

• 2 weeks later...

Well what I was imagining is something like the strip on the Nolan Bushnell signature series. It is not metal. I wonder if a strip with an Atari logo and stripe could be 3D printed? I don't have the skills. Maybe someday.

http://20thcenturyretro.ga/Consolas/Atari-7800/Atari7800NolanBushnellSignatureSeries.jpg

Proooooooooobably, although obviously you'd need to do some paint work or whatever to make it look nice...

I think this weekend I'll meet up with a friend of mine who has a 3D printer, see if I can think of anything.

If I fall off the face of the earth, I couldn't pull it off.

• Like 1