IGNORED

Replacement PSU's

Jetboot Jack

I have a box of old Atari PSU's for various devices - computers, disc drives etc.

Having seen that circuit rot can render some of them lethal I was wondering what alternatives their are to using the original parts?

Are there any modern PSU's that are pin compatible and can power XL's and disc drives, or 800's?

sTeVE

What "rot" do you mean ?

The only thing to avoid is the infamous Ignot PSU. Those should be tossed and never used again.

Almost all other PSU's seem to be very reliable.

The only things that COULD go bad are the electrolytic caps. A good ESR meter will tell you if yours are still OK (mostly, they are, I have yet to find bad ones on A8 stuff......now....Lynx is completely different....)

Don't believe that modern day switching PSU's will provide a safer/more reliable power. They use less energy yes...but I hope I can stay around on this planet long enough to see if they live 30-35 years like the good-old fashioned non-switching PSU's have.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

I have a box of old Atari PSU's for various devices - computers, disc drives etc.

Having seen that circuit rot can render some of them lethal I was wondering what alternatives their are to using the original parts?

Are there any modern PSU's that are pin compatible and can power XL's and disc drives, or 800's?

sTeVE

This what i use for my 800XL it should ok for 800 too

https://www.lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=176

As for powering any other Atari peripherals i never never use stock Atari PSU's it like playing russian roulette

Edited by 256 colors

This what i use for my 800XL it should ok for 800 too

https://www.lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=176

As for powering any other Atari peripherals i never never use stock Atari PSU's it like playing russian roulette

....and so is using switching power supplies.

In fact, the PSU's that use a simple 7805 regulator are the safest to use. Not all Atari PSU's do though...I agree with that.

But 7805's usually die peacefully.....I have seen loads of them on arcade PCBs and what-not....and usually they still work find after 35 or so years.....but when they die....they put out a LOWER voltage than specced.

PSU's which use a transistor which is controlled by some voltage regulator chip: IF the transistor blows....they can short and put the input supply to the output....but I've never heard about that actually happening.

If a modern (switching PSU (like the one you use) dies, it can forward the full input voltage to the device behind it.....and the input of a switcher is Mains voltage ....so you can kind of think about what might happen.

Noo....I trust my good old FriWo PSU's (Germany quality) more than "Goodwill" Chinese PSU's......but to each his opinion ;D

Edited by Level42
  • Like 3

This has been said a grillion times on here about the "ingot" power supplies, but the DC power wire and connector can be cut off and used with a modern 5vdc switching supply of perhaps 1.5 amp output or higher. The machine made DIN connector is really well made on ingot supplies. That's about the only good thing to be said about them. I have one with both end wires cut off holding open a door, so there is a use for that part as a door stop or book end?

The old original Atari computer hardware (400/800 etc) mostly uses a 9-10 volt AC supply. I have found compatible substitutes to be less common The transformers are rather large.

I found a used supply in that range not long ago that powered an alarm system.

Edited by RodLightning
  • Like 2

Wow - thanks for all the thoughts and feedback, Ill go look at the PSUs I have - mostly really big heavy black ones with moulded Atari logos (UK) if memory serves...

Ill also look into the lotharek ones as they are pretty cheap.

But for 800 and disc drives should the old psus be reliable?

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

Thanks for the info and link Level42 - I remember that thread, I had cleared out a bunch of PSUs at the time that had simply stopped working...

Its one of the confusions of having a fair few machines from several countries, you end up with a mess of different equipment and power units!

sTeVE

This has been said a grillion times on here about the "ingot" power supplies, but the DC power wire and connector can be cut off and used with a modern 5vdc switching supply of perhaps 1.5 amp output or higher. The machine made DIN connector is really well made on ingot supplies.

Heh, I've managed to score cheaper shipping a couple times on ebay purchases by instructing a seller to do exactly this to their ingot supplies, and just send the cords. I'm sure they were scratching their heads.

• Like 3

Like most (I expect) I have a big box of PSU's from numerous items, some given to me, some where the device died and I kept the psu for the hope it works on something else.

I've got nothing that's suitable for an Atari sadly which is a shame as I'd love a backup considering how many bits I have in PSU's ...

I keep meaning to trim the stock pile but the hoarder in me says "that just might be handy", never is though ;)

I'm sure if you have the time you could strip them down and make a few usable PSU's though.....All about time and patience..

sTeVE

Hi Steve - if we're talking UK/EU only, then here's what I've found:

■ XL/XE computers - there's a guy in france selling USB>7-pin atari din cables - you just need a 5v dc 2a usb charger plug

■ 1200xl/rana/810/800/1010 - there's a guitar pedal place online (can't remember their name) but the ones they sell 9v ac 2a - should do

■ 1050/xf551 - probably out of luck for new suppliers. there used to be a Stontronics N56DL (9v ac 3.2a) - but hard to find now

Edited by Guest

Good spot. Mine's 2100ma and I've run the XF551 off it without even thinking about the current draw. No problems, and all of my 1050s are dead anyway. :)

do you think the XF is safe on 2100ma ?

do you think the XF is safe on 2100ma ?

No idea. As I say, I never thought to check, since it ran fine on the few occasions I tested it. Both my original Atari 9VAC PSUs have intermittent breaks in the cabling, and since I have no others apart from the Rock Power (2100ma), I have no other options at the moment.

I had a quick look for an inexpensive 9VAC supply earlier on, but anything above ~2A is less easy to find.

■ XL/XE computers - there's a guy in france selling USB>7-pin atari din cables - you just need a 5v dc 2a usb charger plug

Your experience going that route may vary in terms of induced system/video noise depending on how clean the USB power end is. Modern equipment they are meant to hook into has power filtering for that purpose - the XL/XE don't have the same.

This is a good power supply for XL/XE:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mean-Well-GS18A05-P1J-Power-Supply-Table-Top-Regulated-15-Watt-5VDC-3A-F2-2-1X5/122214345154

• Like 1

Your experience going that route may vary in terms of induced system/video noise depending on how clean the USB power end is. Modern equipment they are meant to hook into has power filtering for that purpose - the XL/XE don't have the same.

This is a good power supply for XL/XE:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mean-Well-GS18A05-P1J-Power-Supply-Table-Top-Regulated-15-Watt-5VDC-3A-F2-2-1X5/122214345154

yep, i take your point.

the 7-pin to usb itself is fine. I have had mine running off a 2a usb charger without any noise.

I've also got a handful of 3a usb chargers and tried those too with the same cable - also with good results.

I might have found a supplier of 9v/3amp AC adapters for the UK, i'm waiting for the seller to get back to me and once i've made sure it works on my 1050 i'll report back and maybe we could do a group buy and get them a little cheaper; i'll keep you all informed ;-)

• Like 2