IGNORED

ROMs of games sold out or discontinued

Emanuele

Open question: I see sometimes games out of stock or discontinued in different websites. Could it be the right time to out there ROMs on sale, provider that a re-print is not planned? The files could have name and code of the buyer, to project them. Could this work?

Which ones are you talking about, specifically? As far as I know, most (if not all) of the home-brew ROMs are now available either as a free download, or for sale directly from the publisher.

-dZ.

Took me a while to find it, but here it is:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258942-sacred-tribe-reservation-list/?p=4017254

But that's "Sacred Tribe." The "Shrines Of Peril" was a re-branded version of "Smurf's Adventure." You can get that one here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260397-intellivision-homebrew-roms/?p=3659387

It's called "Blue Sydney" in that thread. ;)

-dZ.

As user, my curiosity: could this system work to limit the concerns related to the ROMs freely in circulation?

Why would that change anything? It's not like we all go to each other's houses and will notice someone playing someone else's ROM...

Don't get me wrong, I'm for releasing ROMs for free without any DRM; but the people who are afraid of releasing ROMs do so because they are concerned that a freely available ROM will cut into their sales. I disagree, but horses for courses.

-dZ.

• Like 1

Why would that change anything? It's not like we all go to each other's houses and will notice someone playing someone else's ROM...

Don't get me wrong, I'm for releasing ROMs for free without any DRM; but the people who are afraid of releasing ROMs do so because they are concerned that a freely available ROM will cut into their sales. I disagree, but horses for courses.

-dZ.

I meant that at least those files would be easily recognized if posted on blogs and websites, so no incentive to post them. But your point is fair.

I am one of those passionate Intv fans available to pay for ROMs, with full respect for programmers and producers.

Edited by Emanuele

I meant that at least those files would be easily recognized if posted on blogs and website, so no incentive to post them. But your point is fair.

I am one of those passionate Intv fan available to pay for ROMs, with full respect for programmers and producers.

Yeah, but there is really no recourse or disincentive. If an Intellivision player tends to go to random ROM sites, why would they care if they happen to download a ROM with someone else's name?

Moreover, if a publisher goes to some random ROM site and notices they have a pirated copy of their ROM, what do they do? They can ask them to take it down, sure, but most of the time those sites ignore such requests, and are hosted outside the country and not that easy to go after.

The publisher can put some time and effort in tracking the site owner's down and prosecuting them or fighting them, but let us not forget that these are very small niche operations, so those resources do not come for free and may not be worth the effort. Thus, no ROMs for anybody.

I'm just playing devil's advocate, I think home-brewed ROMs should be shared for free throughout our small community. :)

-dZ.

Yeah, but there is really no recourse or disincentive. If an Intellivision player tends to go to random ROM sites, why would they care if they happen to download a ROM with someone else's name?

Moreover, if a publisher goes to some random ROM site and notices they have a pirated copy of their ROM, what do they do? They can ask them to take it down, sure, but most of the time those sites ignore such requests, and are hosted outside the country and not that easy to go after.

The publisher can put some time and effort in tracking the site owner's down and prosecuting them or fighting them, but let us not forget that these are very small niche operations, so those resources do not come for free and may not be worth the effort. Thus, no ROMs for anybody.

I'm just playing devil's advocate, I think home-brewed ROMs should be shared for free throughout our small community. :)

-dZ.

Thanks for your feedbacks.:-)

Thanks for your feedbacks.:-)

No problem.

By the way, just to illustrate the differing views on this topic, Carl Mueller Jr. does exactly what you suggested: he sells his ROMs and puts the name of the buyer in them.

-dZ.

No problem.

By the way, just to illustrate the differing views on this topic, Carl Mueller Jr. does exactly what you suggested: he sells his ROMs and puts the name of the buyer in them.

-dZ.

Yep. As user, waiting for my console to be fixed, I am using jzIntv as emulator. So when new ROMs are available, that's always a good news.?