IGNORED

Which Atari 8 Bit Home Computer Games had better versions on the Atari 5200

David Alexander

Hi, I will be a guest on the Arcade Perfect Podcast and I am there to promote the Atari 5200.

So I am sure this has been discussed before but I would appreciate and update to the question:

Which Atari 8 Bit Home Computer Games had better versions on the Atari 5200 and Please elaborate Why?

I have about a week to prepare so thanks in advance to all those who help out :)

post-38693-0-77343600-1534598173_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-98954500-1534598192_thumb.jpg

Edited by Protestari
  • Like 1

I had an Atari 400/800 early on and built up a library of games on the computer long before the 5200 hit the market. So when it did come out I was rather disappointed. Each game was so similar or identical I even got scared that I "adopted" a system that would doom me to collecting duplicates with little or no advantage.

It was the start of adding filler material to my library. One by one, each cartridge became a disappointment. I kept looking for that one killer app. Never found it. The sameness was overwhelming!

If the timeline was different and I got a 5200 first, and then an 8-bit computer 2nd, I would likely have said the same thing in reverse. If forced to come up with an answer, I might say Countermeasure. I don't think that was available on the 400/800, at least not right away. IIRC.

---

The question might come down to controllers. Certainly there had to be games that would benefit from Analog rather than Digital. I'm not one to say because other than flight simulators (and select paddle-style games) I prefer digital controls in all my gaming. Things like Star Raiders or Breakout might have more playability on the 5200 once you get around the crappy controllers! So it's a tossup for the controller advantage too.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

Centipede - Graphics on the 5200 were true to arcade (basically identical except for aspect ratio). A8 version has much less care with the graphics in the mushroom patch and animation of the centipede.

Asteroids - Actually never played/seen Asteroids on the 5200 but the official A8 port was so bad the 5200 version had to be better.

Space Invaders - same story as Asteroids.

Dig Dug - Better graphics on the 5200.

Qix - Better graphics on the 5200.

Really surprised that the 5200 Missile Command does not have all three missile bases - this should have been possible with the 5200 Trak-Ball controller. Otherwise A8 and 5200 versions look the same.

I have heard people say Star Raiders plays better with the 5200 analog controller than with the digital stick on the A8.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 2

This might be stretching it a bit, but some fine folks ported Ratcatcher from the 5200 to the 8-bit line. The original port had to drop the three player mode, but they did a second port that put it back in, but it seems to require some special hardware or something.

I think that counts as being better on the 5200.

• Like 2

5200 has Meteorites which stands head and shoulders over 8 bit computer Asteroids.

Space Dungeon and Robotron are great to play with the special 5200 controllers coupler.

Pole Position is nice to play with two buttons, and even a special gear shift button. Good to have that all together on the controller.

• Like 3

Since all 5200 games have been ported to the A8, there is little reason to pick the 5200 versions as special IMHO - they are identical.

Dig Dug, Centipede, Invaders etc etc are all in their full 5200 glory on the A8.

Some of the 5200 version play worse IMHO - Pole Position, the steering is just odd on the 5200, Space Dungeon and Robotron feel better with twin digital stick too...

EXCEPT Star Raiders - the analog controls and use of the keypad on the 5200 version make the game truly excellent - thats the one Id pick as a standout 5200 better than A8 game.

Also to be honest if you dont have a Trackball on your A8 - playing Centiepde and Missile Command feel better on 5200 analog sticks vs digital ones.

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

I might disagree with Star Raiders. I can agree with the analog controls and having all the other stuff on the keypad.

But I always liked two-player Star Raiders. A pilot and navigator. The pilot just flies the ship and blasts enemies, the navigator operates the keyboard and can even "plan the mission" for what sectors to fly to.

I also thought of making a small surround cockpit out of a garbage can, and each key switch on the keyboard could be wired to a dedicated switch on real control panel. In other words, a sim pit - some of which are really elaborate and cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Well, BITD before everything was ported across both systems, Dig Dug 5200 was heaps better than the original clunky A8 version. Same thing with 5200 Centipede over the A8 version. 5200 Centipede is a fantastic port! Pac-Man 5200 was better, it included the intermissions and personally I never had a problem with playing it with the stock CX52 sticks. Missile Command had better analog control on 5200.

I always appreciated the CX52 and it's dual firebuttons and keypad and Pause, Start and Reset buttons being right there in my hand. This made Star Raiders and Defender more accessible and fun to play right on the couch or floor with no need to hover near a keyboard.

• Like 2