IGNORED

What version of MESS emulates Atari 7800?

ninoy1995

Hello,

I was just wondering what version of MESS runs the Atari 7800 console. I'm sure I remember playing Atari 7800 games using MESS before, but after my most recent update, I was surprised to find out that 7800 emulation is not available. Help please.

Thank you.

Hello,

I was just wondering what version of MESS runs the Atari 7800 console. I'm sure I remember playing Atari 7800 games using MESS before, but after my most recent update, I was surprised to find out that 7800 emulation is not available. Help please.

Thank you.

Trebor, I think, has a new emulator which is a branch off the MESS/MAME 7800 emulator that has been updated called "A7800"

I use the Dos version of MESS. It emulates the 7800 very well. Should work in DOSbox but that's another layer of configuration you'll have to Wade through.

Let me check my version number... V0.89

Works at full frame rate on a Pentium 2 400mhz. Not that most people have this now ancient PC, but it means that DOSBox ought to give you 100% performance if you can get the cake to bake.

If you are on windows, I recommend mameui64 (current v0.200). It has a nice gui for loading cartridges and setting the default cartridge folder per system. You can make custom system filter lists. A7800 is a fork of mame v0.188 .

http://www.mameui.info/

http://7800.8bitdev.org/index.php/A7800_Emulator

Edited by mr_me

Prior to becoming merged with MAME (Circa May 2015, v0.162), MESS continued to run the Atari 7800 console. One of the items that changed over the years is the BIOS file(s) for the system.

While highly recommended to go with an emulator with better accuracy and more features in emulating the 7800 - the A7800 emulator - an updated BIOS download link for the system is contained in the easy setup instructions posted in another thread for A7800, that can also be leveraged for newer versions of MAME/MESS.

Your best bet is RetroArch these days, in my opinion. Download the ProSystem core and you're up and running.

Utilizing the ProSystem emulator (core) for Atari 7800 emulation is similar to utilizing the NESticle emulator (core) for NES emulation. Although very valuable and appreciated in its time, we have come a long way in achieving closer to accurate console emulation since then. Nonetheless, to each their own. ;)

If you are on windows, I recommend mameui64 (current v0.200).

A7800 provides near exact hardware precise timings. It includes accurate DMA hole penalties, fix to RIOT emulation, and a plethora of additional controllers emulated; all of which are absent under MAME/MAMEUI64 v0.200.

Still, similar to the notion of utilizing the ProSystem emulator (core) for Atari 7800 emulation, for those desiring to use MAMEUI64 for emulating the 7800, to each their own. :)

For those interested, see the below link for easy setup instructions and usage of the A7800 emulator:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268458-a7800-the-atari-7800-emulator/page-2?do=findComment&comment=4081599

The latest release on July 29, in addition to enhanced console emulation, contains verified real-time load and save state support, palette refinements, ui improvements, and a full illustrative manual.

A7800 supports Windows, OS X, and Linux. Binary distributions and source code are available at the home page.

Trebor, I think, has a new emulator which is a branch off the MESS/MAME 7800 emulator that has been updated called "A7800"

Thank you for the mention. Without my partner in crime, RevEng, and the incredible amount of hardware documentation and updates, Atari 7800 emulation would be stuck in the past with inaccuracy and hacks. There would be no A7800 emulator. A huge thanks goes to RevEng for his continuous contributions in support of the Atari(Age) community.

• Like 3

I appreciate all your inputs. I've been out of the retrogaming hobby and emulation since 2015. Thank you all !!!

Mess has supported 7800 for a very long time, and recent versions of mame still seem to support 7800 (at least they do for me). It's still also possible to build a standalone MESS from the Mame source code without all the Mame stuff.