IGNORED

Genesis ports aged better than Saturn imo.

Centipede2600

Preface with the usual "Chrome is garbage". Like, why would you refresh the page when there's an active text field after I open ONE tab and then click back? Garbage coding, Google. Truly.

I didn't say that... I stated 2D was a timeless thing

As to why Genesis held up better than Saturn is mostly nostalgia and convenience.

Genesis holds up better in terms of 2D platformers, but at the same time, it has many more vs. Saturn. And some of Saturn's 2D platformers are very good like Astal, Clockwork Knight, Silhouette Mirage etc.

Racing games? Saturn, even if the 3D in some of them doesn't hold up that well. IMO Virtua Racing port on Genesis w/ SVP chip is arguably the best racing game for either it or SNES that gen (ignoring the Deluxe port tho, which is better). But it pales in comparison to Sega Rally, or games like Daytona CCE and Sega Touring Car (once you get used to the handling). Also IIRC Virtua Racing got a pseudo-sequel on Saturn that was spiritually related to Indy 500, that's pretty good too.

Saturn also bests Genesis in terms of JRPGs. I think Genesis's JRPG output is kind of underrated, it has a handful of genuine classics there like Phantasy Star IV. But Saturn has Shining the Holy Arc and Panzer Dragoon Saga, not to mention games like Grandia. Same w/ SRPGs, I think Saturn outdoes Genesis there too when you look at stuff like Shining Force III and the Dragon Force games.

Don't even get me started w/ fighting games; it's not even a contest there. I personally think overall SNES beats Genesis in that genre (it has the inferior version of Super, but it also has great stuff like the Gundam and MMPR fighting games, plus a decent port of SFA2). Genesis has some good fighters too obviously; the superior Super port, Eternal Champions etc. But Saturn destroys them in that genre (as does PS1); even ignoring the 3D ones (which would be a bit unfair to compare on, and it'd be better to compare Saturn to PS1 there where imo it's at least a tie, but I might personally put PS1 a bit ahead there once you take into account all the variety w/ certain weirder games like Evil Zone, Rival Schools etc.), it destroys them on the 2D side thanks to the Capcom fighters alone, not to mention the quality SNK ports. And games like Golden Axe: The Duel may be flawed in terms of game mechanics, but visually outdo just about anything 2D fighter-wise you'd find on Genesis and SNES.

Two years in North America, yes. More like six or eight in Japan. And Shenmue was a 1999 release in Japan, so taking that into consideration its visuals are all the more impressive.

I still don't think it's aged the best, but few games from that era have.

People tend to forget the long shelf life Dreamcast had in Japan with the doujin scene, particularly for shmups. Heck it still gets modern releases from studios like NG:DEV. I gotta pick up the Shenmue collection eventually, especially post-patch.

As an avid Saturn fan (471 Saturn games) I have to say that the Saturn library is very much my favorite system and I feel it is in its renaissance where a lot of people are discovering how great these games were. The 2D games with sprites using an RGB cable is amazing. I have been collecting for Saturn ever since it was released and saw it through its days of so much rejection from magazines at the time. Its amazing how magazines often now write how excellent it was and that its so close to the arcade experience.

I totally respect anyone else opinion on which system(s) held out better, but for me it will always be the Saturn..

People tend to forget the long shelf life Dreamcast had in Japan with the doujin scene, particularly for shmups. Heck it still gets modern releases from studios like NG:DEV. I gotta pick up the Shenmue collection eventually, especially post-patch.

This is a silly way to establish the life of a console. By that standard, the Genesis is still a going concern.

This is a silly way to establish the life of a console. By that standard, the Genesis is still a going concern.

The MegaDrive and Master System are still active in Brazil, they tend to sell around 150K units annually over that territory.

I see what you're getting at, but some of those doujin games were commercial releases (even if in very small print runs), and other efforts like NG:DEV's work (for both it and Neo-Geo) are very prominent releases that would've been big attention-getters if they were released during the system's mass market years.

Well centipede. You basically created this thread to trash the Saturn. You failed! I'm a Saturn fan. Was it because the Sega Saturn did not have blast processing? Is it because the Sega Saturn forgot to put the blood in games like Mortal Kombat? Do World of Warcraft tournaments age well at long as you don't get killed in a stampede? Do John Madden 2019 age well as long as you aren't shot and killed? I like Metal slug better than Gunstar heroes. But I am not a twitch gamer. Genesis. Umm..The Genesis had Castlevania symphony of the night? And the Genesis had Suikoden. I'm not like some video game ecologist. I just call it like I see it. Games themselves are inanimate objects. When you say aged, I believe you mean how well the gamers are into the games still? Can you name one Sega Genesis game that gamers are still into? That they couldn't get on like a million different consoles now? I am learning Lamonz. Buy some piranha wall paper remover, says Glenn the Handyman. Unfortunately I am not in any hard fan corps for any video game system. I was too much in the Farmer Labor party. Because they either pull the plug before they start to get interesting or flood the system with a lot of wimpy games. Or Nintendogs..yeesh ruff. Well in my opinion aged isn't aged if it is a game that you want to play. "I am Error!"
I don't see what you guys see in some of these games. Like Landstalker. I am playing that now. And I hate it! I hate using diagonal on the control pad to control your character. Throughout the whole game! And I feel like I should be good at a game like this. But it's like we are back to the whole, my games have blood discussion. By the time we got to the Saturn the whole our games have blood discussion was already worked out of our system. To me a good name for the Sega Genesis should have been Cabin Fever. I am not a Nintendo Fan boy. I am not a Sega Saturn Fan boy (well sort of I am .) I am a I wish there were less games (memes) for Cabin fever boy. No, though a man be wise, it is no shame for him to learn many things and to bend in season. Well too many genesis games make you bend too much! Did the Sega Genesis have Demon's crest? Well the Sega Saturn didn't either. So. Hard Corps. Check for the Genesis. Guardian Heroes. Check for the Saturn.
But the Sega Genesis had a lot of good Cabin Fever games. Games you play when you are waiting for pictures to develop at walgreens. And the Genesis definitely made more games than the Saturn. I think that has Nil to do with the quality. (or the aging.) But then you had games like Pit Fighter for the genesis. Oh lord help us. "There's something wrong," says Governor Rick Scott.
Centipede are you sure that you are not the guy known as Ferostie in another forum?

I bought my Saturn new in late '97 for 200. In those days, my interests were 2d shooters, rpg's, and Mortal Kombat. UMK3, Thunderforce Gold Pack 1+2, Thunderforce V, Strikers 1945, Layer Section, R-types, Gradius Deluxe pack, the Capcom Collections, Shining Wisdom, Albert Odyssey, SFIII, Shining the Holy Ark, Dragonforce, etc. For a shorter lived system with distribution issues, I'd say it aged quite well on the 2d side. Just like with DC later, the US just didn't get most of the real gems.

Having a brother in the US Navy stationed in Japan didn't hurt either, :P

I envy you! Do you have Megaman X4??

Edited by Mark Shepherd

Well centipede. You basically created this thread to trash the Saturn. You failed! I'm a Saturn fan. Was it because the Sega Saturn did not have blast processing? Is it because the Sega Saturn forgot to put the blood in games like Mortal Kombat? Do World of Warcraft tournaments age well at long as you don't get killed in a stampede? Do John Madden 2019 age well as long as you aren't shot and killed? I like Metal slug better than Gunstar heroes. But I am not a twitch gamer. Genesis. Umm..The Genesis had Castlevania symphony of the night? And the Genesis had Suikoden. I'm not like some video game ecologist. I just call it like I see it. Games themselves are inanimate objects. When you say aged, I believe you mean how well the gamers are into the games still? Can you name one Sega Genesis game that gamers are still into? That they couldn't get on like a million different consoles now? I am learning Lamonz. Buy some piranha wall paper remover, says Glenn the Handyman. Unfortunately I am not in any hard fan corps for any video game system. I was too much in the Farmer Labor party. Because they either pull the plug before they start to get interesting or flood the system with a lot of wimpy games. Or Nintendogs..yeesh ruff. Well in my opinion aged isn't aged if it is a game that you want to play. "I am Error!"

I don't see what you guys see in some of these games. Like Landstalker. I am playing that now. And I hate it! I hate using diagonal on the control pad to control your character. Throughout the whole game! And I feel like I should be good at a game like this. But it's like we are back to the whole, my games have blood discussion. By the time we got to the Saturn the whole our games have blood discussion was already worked out of our system. To me a good name for the Sega Genesis should have been Cabin Fever. I am not a Nintendo Fan boy. I am not a Sega Saturn Fan boy (well sort of I am .) I am a I wish there were less games (memes) for Cabin fever boy. No, though a man be wise, it is no shame for him to learn many things and to bend in season. Well too many genesis games make you bend too much! Did the Sega Genesis have Demon's crest? Well the Sega Saturn didn't either. So. Hard Corps. Check for the Genesis. Guardian Heroes. Check for the Saturn.

But the Sega Genesis had a lot of good Cabin Fever games. Games you play when you are waiting for pictures to develop at walgreens. And the Genesis definitely made more games than the Saturn. I think that has Nil to do with the quality. (or the aging.) But then you had games like Pit Fighter for the genesis. Oh lord help us. "There's something wrong," says Governor Rick Scott.

Centipede are you sure that you are not the guy known as Ferostie in another forum?

This is why I love internet forums :D

The MegaDrive and Master System are still active in Brazil, they tend to sell around 150K units annually over that territory.

I see what you're getting at, but some of those doujin games were commercial releases (even if in very small print runs), and other efforts like NG:DEV's work (for both it and Neo-Geo) are very prominent releases that would've been big attention-getters if they were released during the system's mass market years.

Define it how you want but that's still quite arbitrary. I always have used first-party games as my basis. Based on this list, the last Sega game to be published on the Dreamcast is the Japanese version of NHL 2k2 in July of 2002 (a full 5 months after it came out in the US). Non-sports games, it's Sakura Taisen 4 in March of 2002.

In the West, those dates are obviously earlier. In the US it was the aforementioned NHL 2k2 in February 2002 and in Europe it was NBA 2k2 in March 2002. Non-sports games are a couple weeks older at most, so it's not worth distinguishing those for PAL territories or the Americas. So at best, in the US it was 2.5 years. In Japan it came out a year earlier so it's 3.5 years. And again, early and late in the lifespan of the system are basically indistinguishable. You can disagree, we'll never agree on this point. ;)

Edit: you mean to tell me 150k actual Mega Drives (not clones or emulation boxes) sell in Brazil annually? That seems impossible.

Edited by derFunkenstein

Brazil is just getting the Sega Genesis? What is this the Pleistocene? I am guessing in ten years they are going to get some railroads? Well at least Brazil has its own dolphins to brag about. Maybe the Amazon river was the inspiration for Ecco the dolphin. Although river dolphins are freshwater and look way uglier than ocean and sea dolphins. It would be funny to give Brazil the Sega Genesis but make the Genesis where it is only capable of ever playing one game — Ecco the dolphin. Then make then wait another ten years before we "release" Sonic the hedgehog. I feel like there is an air of disgruntlement that Sega is no longer in the business of making great consoles. I want to see them come back. I think every one does. But you can't excuse poor business decisions either. Let them Ecco (I mean iron) it out. Did the company LJN ever make games for Sega? That's another one that boggles me. How did all of those bad games not bring down Nintendo? It almost seems like having those bad games helped Nintendo's success. Weird planet we have. I remember when Ecco the dolphin came out people thought there would be a whole bunch of sequels to the game. But I guess Ecco only caught on with a certain group of people. I just remember playing the game as a demo at Toys R Us.. I don't know anyone who owned it. Have you seen Snakes on a plane?

Brazil is just getting the Sega Genesis? What is this the Pleistocene? I am guessing in ten years they are going to get some railroads? Well at least Brazil has its own dolphins to brag about. Maybe the Amazon river was the inspiration for Ecco the dolphin. Although river dolphins are freshwater and look way uglier than ocean and sea dolphins. It would be funny to give Brazil the Sega Genesis but make the Genesis where it is only capable of ever playing one game — Ecco the dolphin. Then make then wait another ten years before we "release" Sonic the hedgehog. I feel like there is an air of disgruntlement that Sega is no longer in the business of making great consoles. I want to see them come back. I think every one does. But you can't excuse poor business decisions either. Let them Ecco (I mean iron) it out. Did the company LJN ever make games for Sega? That's another one that boggles me. How did all of those bad games not bring down Nintendo? It almost seems like having those bad games helped Nintendo's success. Weird planet we have. I remember when Ecco the dolphin came out people thought there would be a whole bunch of sequels to the game. But I guess Ecco only caught on with a certain group of people. I just remember playing the game as a demo at Toys R Us.. I don't know anyone who owned it. Have you seen Snakes on a plane?

I'm wondering if you actually talk in this bizarre stream of consciousness style in real life, and if it makes people dizzy.

• Like 1

Define it how you want but that's still quite arbitrary. I always have used first-party games as my basis. Based on this list, the last Sega game to be published on the Dreamcast is the Japanese version of NHL 2k2 in July of 2002 (a full 5 months after it came out in the US). Non-sports games, it's Sakura Taisen 4 in March of 2002.

I look at it similarly, but for officially licensed games. So for Dreamcast in Japan it was 2007 (Karous and Triggerheart Exelica). To be fair though I'll pull it back a couple of years--it looks like 2004 was the last year for the Dreamcast that saw consistent officially licensed releases in Japan over the year. 2005, 2006, and 2007 only saw one or two officially licensed releases each.

Edit: you mean to tell me 150k actual Mega Drives (not clones or emulation boxes) sell in Brazil annually? That seems impossible.

From what I understand, by today's standards Brazil is close to living in the stone age when it comes to videogames. They have very high import taxes (and high taxes in general) and modern systems cost an arm and a leg. The SMS in particular (as well as the Genesis) is still prevalent as a result and current models (mostly in the form of multi-game units from what I can tell) are still officially available from Tectoy, who handles Sega's stuff down there. Now while I'm not certain of sales numbers, the one quoted above wouldn't surprise me.

*Edit: They currently have a version of the Mega Drive available for sale that includes a SD slot and a cartridge slot. Composite out on the back. It might be a modern clone for all I know, but it's official. Link: https://www.tectoy.com.br/console-mega-drive-joystick-cartao-sd-com-22-jogos-expansivel-ate-594-jogos/p/995040461825

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

From what I understand, by today's standards Brazil is close to living in the stone age when it comes to videogames. They have very high import taxes (and high taxes in general) and modern systems cost an arm and a leg. The SMS in particular (as well as the Genesis) is still prevalent as a result and current models (mostly in the form of multi-game units from what I can tell) are still officially available from Tectoy, who handles Sega's stuff down there. Now while I'm not certain of sales numbers, the one quoted above wouldn't surprise me.

*Edit: They currently have a version of the Mega Drive available for sale that includes a SD slot and a cartridge slot. Composite out on the back. It might be a modern clone for all I know, but it's official. Link: https://www.tectoy.com.br/console-mega-drive-joystick-cartao-sd-com-22-jogos-expansivel-ate-594-jogos/p/995040461825

I mean I don't know I'm reading in Science Magazine August 2015 that Brazil is in some kind of deep fiscal crisis. From the Federal University of Rio De Janeiro. So where does the Sega Genesis make into this. They cut 13.7 billion from the ministry of education. They better not be saying that the Sega Genesis is some kind of educational tool. Play ecco the dolphin and that will raise awareness for saving the rainforests. Crockpot livers? Is Brazil buying old genesis consoles and using the plastic to build some off shore wind farms? Could be.

So I guess my next question, stream of consciousness..What do you guys consider to be the top games that were once known to be bad. Or blacklisted? (blue gun Joe Lieberman) Mortal Kombat I guess was one. Mortal Kombat looks like bugs bunny compared to this Madden 2019. Remember when congress said that the game Night Trap on Sega CD was ulta-violent and sick. Yeah centipede. The sega Genesis was super duper. yeah centipede. I mean they were playing video games in the movie Soylent green with Charlton Heston. That was made in 1972. Maybe Brazil is not in the stone age but they are in the Stoned age. Literally they are all stoned.

Edited by Mark Shepherd

In the West, those dates are obviously earlier. In the US it was the aforementioned NHL 2k2 in February 2002 and in Europe it was NBA 2k2 in March 2002. Non-sports games are a couple weeks older at most, so it's not worth distinguishing those for PAL territories or the Americas. So at best, in the US it was 2.5 years. In Japan it came out a year earlier so it's 3.5 years. And again, early and late in the lifespan of the system are basically indistinguishable. You can disagree, we'll never agree on this point. ;)

You'd have to know a bit more the market penetration Tec Toy had w/ Master System and MegaDrive in Brazil (plus Brazil's odd laws when it comes to foreign companies doing business there) to understand. Truth be told MegaDrive and Master System are at least as synonymous w/ Brazil as NES is in the US, if not moreso, and the only other post 16-bit system that's done very well there is the Xbox One. MS didn't have to go the route of licensing things out to a local 3rd party like Sega did, though, for both obvious and not-so-obvious reasons.

And also, we're in a timeline where NES Classic can outsell PS4 for a given month, so it's not THAT hard to believe Master System/MegaDrive sales (basically including the variations, like the Guitar Hero variant) still do respectable numbers in one of their strongest markets.

Why are you still trashing the Genesis? Did you not just call someone out for "trying" to trash the Saturn (which imho, wasn't quite actually what the OP was doing)? I could name you a giant list of those other games people are playing that aren't on other systems.

Sounds like MegaDrive games are too hardcore and perhaps beyond your scope; that's cool. There's lots of games on other systems I don't personally like for those same reasons...but I won't let that blind me from being fair in judging those games objectively or seeing the qualities their fanbases like. That's easily the biggest point of contention I've had with a lot of your posts whenever you start bringing up Genesis/MegaDrive; it's unnecessary hostility tbh.

You'd have to know a bit more the market penetration Tec Toy had w/ Master System and MegaDrive in Brazil (plus Brazil's odd laws when it comes to foreign companies doing business there) to understand. Truth be told MegaDrive and Master System are at least as synonymous w/ Brazil as NES is in the US, if not moreso, and the only other post 16-bit system that's done very well there is the Xbox One. MS didn't have to go the route of licensing things out to a local 3rd party like Sega did, though, for both obvious and not-so-obvious reasons.

And also, we're in a timeline where NES Classic can outsell PS4 for a given month, so it's not THAT hard to believe Master System/MegaDrive sales (basically including the variations, like the Guitar Hero variant) still do respectable numbers in one of their strongest markets.

Thanks for playing the intellectual elite (saying oh, you just wouldn't understand). I'm fully aware that TecToy and Sega were very successful in Brazil. All I needed was confirmation, but all you confirmed was that you like to be a jackass.

Thanks for playing the intellectual elite (saying oh, you just wouldn't understand). I'm fully aware that TecToy and Sega were very successful in Brazil. All I needed was confirmation, but all you confirmed was that you like to be a jackass.

You think I'm a jackass simply b/c I made an innocent presumption on the matter? Usually when I talk to people about that particular thing, when I tell them that it actually comes as a surprise to them. How exactly am I supposed to have telepathic ability and assume that's something people know off the bat? It's generally not well-known knowledge, and I don't even see how I was being rude in that reply.

If anything your assuming it was "impossible" for the systems to do those numbers in what you've yourself have said was a very strong market for them, could be potentially more a point of annoyance since you are already aware of the reputation the systems have in that market. That's actually the only reason I elaborated as much as I did in that reply, but I guess I'm a jackass for doing that :/

Apologies if you were offended; my intentions weren't to posture like an internet strongarm smarty-pants, I just wanted to explain a bit more about Master System/MegaDrive in Brazil (and the Brazilian market in a nutshell) in the chances other people actually DID think it was "completely impossible" w/ the systems still doing decent numbers there :/

As an avid Saturn fan (471 Saturn games) I have to say that the Saturn library is very much my favorite system and I feel it is in its renaissance where a lot of people are discovering how great these games were. The 2D games with sprites using an RGB cable is amazing. I have been collecting for Saturn ever since it was released and saw it through its days of so much rejection from magazines at the time. Its amazing how magazines often now write how excellent it was and that its so close to the arcade experience.

I totally respect anyone else opinion on which system(s) held out better, but for me it will always be the Saturn..

While i respect the saturn, i really thing that the genesis beats it in certain areas. Adventures of batman and robin, Contra Hard corps, Alien soldier, hell, even vectroman is worth a second look. The 3D route is where the system suffers but i dare you to look at me straight faced and say the saturn version of Doom is ok, i dare you

While i respect the saturn, i really thing that the genesis beats it in certain areas. Adventures of batman and robin, Contra Hard corps, Alien soldier, hell, even vectroman is worth a second look. The 3D route is where the system suffers but i dare you to look at me straight faced and say the saturn version of Doom is ok, i dare you

You're being very biased here, to the point where it feels to me like you're impairing your judgement. Genesis is a great system, but you're naming specific games. In particular, the ones you mentioned are all 2D side-scrolling action-platformers, a genre I would kind of agree that Genesis has a stronger showing in vs. Saturn as a whole, although the way you mention it makes it feel like games such as Silhouette Mirage, Shinobi X, and Psychic Assassin Tomauru weren't a thing :/

But you can't just use one genre to make a statement like that, and if you're holding the 3D of the system against it, tbh you should do the same w/ PS1 and N64 as well. On a *technical* level the 3D of that gen has aged horribly, but that doesn't mean the 3D games from that era are any less fun now if they were fun on grounds of substance (i.e beyond simply being pretty-for-the-time 3D games). Games like the Panzer Dragoon series, Xenogears, classic RE, Silent Hill, Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing, NiGHTS, etc. are still incredibly good games, because they hold up artistically and in terms of game design. It isn't such a black-and-white issue.

Again, I'd say the only genres Genesis clearly has an edge-up over Saturn on, are 2D platformers and sports games. A lot of other genres, like puzzle games and shmups, are nowhere near as close-cut between either system. And then there's genres where I feel Saturn destroys Genesis, like JRPGs, FPS and 2D fighters, let alone genres that may've been technically not possible on the system like 3D fighters, 3D racers, etc.

Both systems have very strong strengths, but you're underselling the Saturn hardcore.

You're being very biased here, to the point where it feels to me like you're impairing your judgement. Genesis is a great system, but you're naming specific games. In particular, the ones you mentioned are all 2D side-scrolling action-platformers, a genre I would kind of agree that Genesis has a stronger showing in vs. Saturn as a whole, although the way you mention it makes it feel like games such as Silhouette Mirage, Shinobi X, and Psychic Assassin Tomauru weren't a thing :/

But you can't just use one genre to make a statement like that, and if you're holding the 3D of the system against it, tbh you should do the same w/ PS1 and N64 as well. On a *technical* level the 3D of that gen has aged horribly, but that doesn't mean the 3D games from that era are any less fun now if they were fun on grounds of substance (i.e beyond simply being pretty-for-the-time 3D games). Games like the Panzer Dragoon series, Xenogears, classic RE, Silent Hill, Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing, NiGHTS, etc. are still incredibly good games, because they hold up artistically and in terms of game design. It isn't such a black-and-white issue.

Again, I'd say the only genres Genesis clearly has an edge-up over Saturn on, are 2D platformers and sports games. A lot of other genres, like puzzle games and shmups, are nowhere near as close-cut between either system. And then there's genres where I feel Saturn destroys Genesis, like JRPGs, FPS and 2D fighters, let alone genres that may've been technically not possible on the system like 3D fighters, 3D racers, etc.

Both systems have very strong strengths, but you're underselling the Saturn hardcore

The N64 may be bad graphically but it's not Bubsy 3D bad, at least Saturn owners were spared that miserable pain... Then again, you DID get a crappy Doom port, so it evens out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocx9-S0UhVU