IGNORED

Avaris

Retrospect

Avaris, is just something I've cobbled together, over the past couple of days, nothing serious at this stage.

It's a top-down shooter, taking some of the style of "Schmup" on the MSX-2.

You can fire whilst moving, move diagonally, up down left and right, uses Joystick-1.

To do: collision detection, title-screen, game-over screen, sound, attack waves, levels.

Programmed in XB using XB256 extension, and compiled, so that it actually moves.

DEMO.zip - will play in normal XB

Short video of it executing:

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 12

More progress today. Game now has an "attract-mode" in the title screen whilst it waits for player to press Fire.

Enemies are introduced properly, with preliminary attack wave, and they can be shot, these enemies just do a simple loop for now, further progress will see enemies changing.

Sound will be introduced last.

Note that the enemies travel down the screen at a rather slow rate. This is because the enemy's array for downward movement is only incrementing by 1 pixel every update, so they can be sped up by simply increasing the increment to say, 3 or 4 pixels per update.

When you fire, your fire has a limited range before it cuts out. This is because I wanted firing to be more rapid, as I don't want to introduce the ability to fire multiple shots at once, because this will complicate things in my mind too much. When you move forwards though, the range travels with you so you can shoot further up the screen.

In a while, Power-Ups will be added, you'll start off with a single lazer bolt and a floating "F" symbol will increase this to two bolts, and three bolts all in the same sprite character pattern! Also when you travel backwards to the bottom of the screen, your exhaust flame will die out until you are stationary again, like Parsec does.

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 9

Avaris... Sound like Avarice which is greed in french..

That's right, greed and materialism. I was looking for different terms for greed, whilst trying to make a platformer, for it's name. I changed my mind about giving it that name as I had a space-shooter game going at the same time and needed a name for that. So I saw Avarice and changed the "ce" to an "s" to make it sound more like a space-shooter (Denarius and others etc). Upon doing a quick google-search, no one else, ever, seems to have called a space shooter "avaris". So off I went. And then blatantly ripped-off the look of "Schmup" on the MSX2. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...