IGNORED

S video or RGB Scart for Atari Jaguar

shadowman01

Last Friday my Jaguar finally arrived and it is really a nice console. I am using it with Composite cable now and the Image quality is allright. But I am aming to improve Image quality.

So I am thinking of getting either some S-Video or RGB Scart cables for my Jaguar.

As I European Guy getting Scart would be the most logical choice because SCART is very common in Europe under normal circumstances.

Atari Stuff is rather scare in Europe though so the only way to get cables is the order them online. If i can only find the stuff online I can get any cable I want.

Scart cables seem to be more expensive then SV Video so I wonder if getting RGB SCART is really worth the extra Money when playing on Sony Trinitron CRT?

What do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...

if you are in Europe as you say and SCART is common then go for the SCART. I have never been able to experience SCART as I'd need to get the cable and an SCART adapter since we dont have SCARt here in the USA.

I have used composite to HDMI adapter on a 65 inch plasma and it looked pretty awesome. (tried that with my Jaguar and Saturn but need to try it with my Dreamcast and 3DO).

otherwise I have tried 3 different svideo cables for the Jaguar with a Sony Trinitron XBR CRT and it looks pretty nice and crisp with nice dark spots but I get checkerboarding on all of the systems (Jaguar, Saturn, Dreamcast, 3DO, Playstation1) and that pisses me off. Composite looks decent but more blurry around the edges vs the crispness of the svideo but it doesn;t have checkerboard which is a beneficial trade-off

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I figured I'd post in this thread rather than start a new one.

I'm an American, and as far as I know there aren't any SCART compatible TVs that adhere to NTSC standards (if they are, I've never seen one). So I bought an S-video cable for my recently acquired Jag.

It doesn't seem to work. The picture is very wavy and the games are unplayable.

The S-Video input on my TV works with my S-VHS player and 3DO, so there's nothing wrong there. Is this likely a problem with the Jag or with the cable? I don't want to return the cable if it's not broken.

EDIT:

To clarify, this is a CRT TV from the early aughts.

Edited by Armond Poopson

Hey guys, I figured I'd post in this thread rather than start a new one.

I'm an American, and as far as I know there aren't any SCART compatible TVs that adhere to NTSC standards (if they are, I've never seen one). So I bought an S-video cable for my recently acquired Jag.

It doesn't seem to work. The picture is very wavy and the games are unplayable.

The S-Video input on my TV works with my S-VHS player and 3DO, so there's nothing wrong there. Is this likely a problem with the Jag or with the cable? I don't want to return the cable if it's not broken.

EDIT:

To clarify, this is a CRT TV from the early aughts.

That sounds like a PAL Jag and an NTSC TV.

Is your Jag PAL?

Welcome, by the way!

Yeah..can someone answer which Sync the Jaguar requires? I've seen where a Luma on sync cable was needed but then I see that retrogamingcables in the UK only offers what I assume is the cheaper cable with composite sync, and a the slightly more expensive cable using true C-sync.

The Jaguar doesn't require anything, it provides all three options. You need to look at what your monitor or upscaler requires.

Okay, but that doesn't explain why a composite sync cable seems to be the only one I can get working from it. I have tried c-sync cables that work on other consoles without issue, but using a c-sync from the jag doesn't even seem to make the scart switcher kick on. I wouldn't mind using a composite sync cable, except that all the ones I've used seem to put a nasty amount of buzz on the audio.

Forgot to mention that I've been trying to use the jag with my OSSC. My SNES, Genesis, Saturn, and Mastersystem all seem to work fine using a c-sync setup, but the jag...nope...

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

I don't get it. How can you be using the same cable with both the Jaguar and other consoles? The video connector on the Jaguar is unique, no other console uses it. icon_confused.gif

Because I'm using one of these:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/271286-hdretrovision-snes-to-jaguar-cable-converter/

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if a new thread was needed, so I'm bumping this one.

I'm getting a RGB Scart cable from Retro Gaming Cables.

Regarding sync, I asked them which Scart cable I should buy.

Obviously I want the best possible IQ to go through my OSSC.

To my surprise, RGC answered this:

"I would recommend the non CSYNC version."

Huh???

Isn't CSYNC always better as long as the console is CSYNC capable (and the Jag is)?

I'm super confused now, I was pretty sure CSYNC was always the better option.

What you guys say?

In my case, the issue is that the cables I've tried just don't seem to kick off the bainbridge switcher. It will flash briefly when using the cable from the Jaguar, but when using them on other consoles they work as they should. Again, the adapter I'm using could very well require a Luma Sync cable for the Jag, But I'm thinking I will just either modify one of the cables I have now to work or buy a scart rgb jag cable.

-^Cro§Bow^-

I use one of the 5 port Bainbridge boxes like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bandridge-Performance-Automatic-Selector-Switching/dp/B0015YYN2Q I have it powered and turning my Jaguar on will flick the box to the Jaguar input, light up the LED and display on my CRT. Do you have yours mains powered?

They don't seem to list my exact cable now but it looks like this https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/atari-jaguar-video-cables/35-atari-jaguar-rgb-scart-cable-070569350471.html and the order listed it as "Atari Jaguar RGB SCART Péritel cable wired for CSYNC JAG CSYNC"

I do get a bit of buzz on the audio but you can't really hear it over the sound itself, just when you first turn on and if the TV is turned up loud.

-^Cro§Bow^-

I use one of the 5 port Bainbridge boxes like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bandridge-Performance-Automatic-Selector-Switching/dp/B0015YYN2Q I have it powered and turning my Jaguar on will flick the box to the Jaguar input, light up the LED and display on my CRT. Do you have yours mains powered?

They don't seem to list my exact cable now but it looks like this https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/atari-jaguar-video-cables/35-atari-jaguar-rgb-scart-cable-070569350471.html and the order listed it as "Atari Jaguar RGB SCART Péritel cable wired for CSYNC JAG CSYNC"

I do get a bit of buzz on the audio but you can't really hear it over the sound itself, just when you first turn on and if the TV is turned up loud.

I have the 3 port auto selecting model and yes it is powered with a dedicated adapter off the mains. I've been using different SNES scart cables because as I linked above I have one of the converters that allows the SNES multiav cables to be used with the jag. The same cables work on the SNES through the bainbridge and it will switch on and stay lit from the SNES. From the Jag the LED will blink but not stay on. So the Jag isn't sending something the bainbridge needs to know there is an active signal there. I also tried to plug the jag directly into the OSSC from the same cable but still no signal is detected on the OSSC either. Plug that same cable from the SNES and it is golden. The only cable I can get working with the jag that is an SNES RGB cable is this one I picked up from console 5 sometime ago...but it produces a pretty dull picture overall and the audio buzz is more than a bit annoying through my AV receiver.

https://console5.com/store/super-nintendo-n64-gamecube-rgb-scart-cable-1.html

In looking at it, the console5 cables use composite sync so perhaps the adapter I'm using only works through composite sync but the other higher end cables I've purchased and would rather use are pure c-sync cables. Makes sense as I did restore the c-sync on my SNES jr that I've been using with them as well that works.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the 3 port auto selecting model and yes it is powered with a dedicated adapter off the mains. I've been using different SNES scart cables because as I linked above I have one of the converters that allows the SNES multiav cables to be used with the jag. The same cables work on the SNES through the bainbridge and it will switch on and stay lit from the SNES. From the Jag the LED will blink but not stay on. So the Jag isn't sending something the bainbridge needs to know there is an active signal there. I also tried to plug the jag directly into the OSSC from the same cable but still no signal is detected on the OSSC either. Plug that same cable from the SNES and it is golden. The only cable I can get working with the jag that is an SNES RGB cable is this one I picked up from console 5 sometime ago...but it produces a pretty dull picture overall and the audio buzz is more than a bit annoying through my AV receiver.

https://console5.com/store/super-nintendo-n64-gamecube-rgb-scart-cable-1.html

In looking at it, the console5 cables use composite sync so perhaps the adapter I'm using only works through composite sync but the other higher end cables I've purchased and would rather use are pure c-sync cables. Makes sense as I did restore the c-sync on my SNES jr that I've been using with them as well that works.