IGNORED

Want to replace a CRT with an LED monitor. Does this work?

JustinMSalvato

I'm trying to restore an arcade cabinet from 1983. The CRT monitor is shot and honestly, I'd rather have an LED/LCD screen in it's place. (Don't get me wrong, CRT, when working, looks great)

I don't know much about how to connect the monitor and most of what I see out there has DVI and/or VGA ports which are clearly not going to connect on an old system arcade cabinet like this.

Will this work? https://na.suzohapp.com/products/accessories/49-3223-01 Does this need an adapter to connect it to the arcade machine?

Thanks!

What does your old machine output? I think they are typically analog RGB + combined sync at 15khz.

You'd have to get the specification of that monitor's vga input. Vga typically doesn't scan below 30khz and uses seperate horizontal and vertical sync. There's a good chance this monitor scans 15khz on vga and takes combined sync but that's something to check. Otherwise you'd need a converter.

I understand you don't want a crt, just curious if sourcing a replacement crt is possible.

• Like 1

What does your old machine output? I think they are typically analog RGB + combined sync at 15khz.

You'd have to get the specification of that monitor's vga input. Vga typically doesn't scan below 30khz and uses seperate horizontal and vertical sync. There's a good chance this monitor scans 15khz on vga and takes combined sync but that's something to check. Otherwise you'd need a converter.

I understand you don't want a crt, just curious if sourcing a replacement crt is possible.

Where can I get that information? This is really all I have for info: https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7306

We'd have to know if it's vga can scan 15khz. I think so, because of the cga support. I think most modern vga monitors support combined sync but most don't scan below 30khz or support cga.

I think this is the same exact one https://www.8linesupply.com/shop/parts-supplies/19-wells-gardner-multi-resolution-led-display-with-protective-glass/ and if that info is correct, it does do 15 khz. So I might be in business.

Maybe I'm confused with the use of the term cga/ega. When I hear those terms I think of digital/ttl video as opposed to analog video. I didn't think any arcade games output cga/ega. Maybe by cga/ega/vga they mean analog rgb 15/22/30khz.

I wrote to the company that is selling the LCD monitor and they responded:

Jennifer has answered your question below.

Your question:

Can the Vga scan 15khz?

Our Answer:

The VGA is 30 - 80KHz

The CGA is 15 - 30KHz

So I think I can get this monitor for the cabinet. I think...

Ask if her if the cga support is digital or analog?

I'm assuming your machine outputs 15khz analog rgb but I'm guessing.

Jennifer has answered your question below.

Your question:

Is the CGA support digital or analog?

Our Answer:

The CGA supports Analog

Well, regardless, I have decided to go a different way with this project.

Well I don't know if these things actually support cga and ega which are digital signals. But it sounds like when they say cga and ega they mean 15.75khz and 22khz analog RGB. The same must go for those arcade video upscaling boards. I didn't think arcade machines output a digital/ttl video signal.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1