IGNORED

Terraria

Rocket Man

I started this on the PS4 last week and have been in love with it... already put around 40 hours into a large world. I enjoy how it focuses less on building than Minecraft, and more on Combat. The Bosses are awesome, graphics are sweet (although I wish I could zoom in and out), music is amazing, and the possibilities are intriguing.

I have a full set of Ancient Shadow Armor and a Legendary Ice Sword: I've killed the Eye of Cthlu (somethin', don't remember how to spell it) and the big worm boss, can't remember his name. Skeletron is next on my hit list, then I'll be able to traverse the Dungeon, finally.

I don't think it's better or worse than Minecraft, it is definitely an awesome companion to it. Starbound should be an awesome 3rd companion to make my "building" games a complete trilogy of awesomeness, depending on mood. I'll be picking that up once it has been out on the PS4 for a couple years and has a 'complete' edition available for $20 sealed.

Anyone else playing? Thoughts?

Reached a point where I could defeat the huge skull that comes out of the dungeon with the old man in front. Without guides everything from there ground to a halt. Better items and materials stopped being obtainable during a play session.

Bought the PC version but the controls were terrible. Now I think all versions run on the same engine with Playstation style controls.

I used to do a lot of mining on it when it came out, made kind of a hobbit house of a surface place to use, and killed quite a few floating things and zombies. But this was like years ago, maybe they finally worked out the progression on it. I got bored and stopped because it never seemed to generate a world for me where I could get the minerals needed to make better weapons and armor to survive against second tier nasties that showed up dozens of rows of depth down below the average surface. it just ended up being a relaxing time waster on GoG and it shows on there I racked up maybe 30 hours on it I think.

I tried it on mobile too when there was a sale but the touch controls were god awful and made playing pretty sketchy.

I played through it a few times with a couple friends. I like it more than Minecraft, but that's because it had a little bit more combat stuff like bosses, guns, and fancy magic spells.

That being said... I could never get into playing it by myself. It's a LOT of work to get anything usable, and there's so much stuff that without a guide or wiki you're gonna be lost on how and what to do in some place. Things like making it all the way down to Hell, starting the world conversion that changes all the resources, optimizing the placement of the creation items, the number of different creation items, and it can get a bit too complex after a while.

I preferred playing on PC because the mouse allowed a bit more freedom of placement.

• Like 1

I enjoyed it, the wide range of creatures and environments was great, it's basically 2d minecraft. I liked that tools and weapons are permanent but then, upgrading is nearly impossible. I still don't have a clue how to make some stuff.

What killed it for me was when I got a new tv, and it's scale is determined by your resolution, so it went to unplayable instantly due to a lack of user settings in viewstyle.

It is nice that it's basically complete from the get go, rather than the constant updating Minecraft does. But I can see Minecraft and building and micromanaging are more up my alley than fighting, so I tend to play that instead.

I played through it a few times with a couple friends. I like it more than Minecraft, but that's because it had a little bit more combat stuff like bosses, guns, and fancy magic spells.

That being said... I could never get into playing it by myself. It's a LOT of work to get anything usable, and there's so much stuff that without a guide or wiki you're gonna be lost on how and what to do in some place. Things like making it all the way down to Hell, starting the world conversion that changes all the resources, optimizing the placement of the creation items, the number of different creation items, and it can get a bit too complex after a while.

I preferred playing on PC because the mouse allowed a bit more freedom of placement.

That's why after a time I put into it I said I kind of just stopped cold. I couldn't figure out how to get the better minerals to make the stuff I needed, so it became just more digging, more barracading myself from nightly assaults, and I got bored of it. It's far less confusing and hard to get anywhere in it than minecraft as I have both, and terarria is better at handing out useful goods too as I've never had a good time with minecraft as any random map I've generated seems to lack redstone and a few other minerals that really are needed to survive which just pissed me off so I erase it (then come back a year or two later, to have it happen again.)

• Like 1

more barracading myself from nightly assaults

Funny thing is the game has a neat little trick (hack) to barricade yourself in.

All you have to do is put two doors up next to each other. They have to break in by "bashing" the door in, but if two doors are right next to each other, they can't ever break the first door and remain stuck~

That and having your house be "floating" by simple destroying the connection to the ground. :lol:

Ooooh anti gravity home ownership now that's one I hadn't thought of. I usually just in set the door very slightly wand would toss 4 blocks of dirt in the way, then just pop it off when the sun came up.

Eh it's not perfect but it makes for a kinda cool "fortress in the sky" attitude.

Spawning can be kinda weird in game as they seem to spawn so long as they have a "ground" spot to do so at. I think once it's a "room" they can't spawn in it.

If I still have any of the servers going, I might see if I can get a screenshot of what we (3 of us) made.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the allure is the combat. I haven't spent too much time building.. only to attain the necessary rooms to attract more Merchants, and for making storage for all of my items. In the beginning the Combat was merciless and I was getting slaughtered... all until I saved enough money to purchase a Ninja sword, then I could finally travel into the Corruption Biome without getting killed. That is when the game took off for me... I could finally explore to my hearts content, and I could stay out at night with a fighting chance. Finally I could explore the map to the East and West, as well as dig deeper than ever before.

What really impresses and entertains me about the game, are the unexpected 'events' that occur. When a goblin hoard attacked my home base, that was an amazing surprise! The first time I had to use bombs (eventually sticky bombs), to blow open and gain access to those Orb 'thingamaboppers' deep in the Corruption Biome, and it sprung a giant Wormlike Boss on me, that was amazing! It killed me, but I was ready for it the next time.

I've seen a few of you mention how you don't like that the game eventually grinds to a halt from not knowing what to do, to progress further, but that has been my favorite aspect overall... I genuinely feel like I'm exploring a world, and having all of these unique events happen, at my own pace. The first time I met Skeletron, was by accident... speaking to the old man in front of the Dungeon, about his Curse, not knowing he was going to transform and murder me, was annoying; but at the same time I was excited because it was something new that I wasn't expecting, and it gave me a new Quest to work towards. Now, I'm going deep into said Dungeon and it feels amazing exploring, and kicking ass, all in the hopes of finding new gear, and new equipment.

I think it's a beautifully constructed game, because I feel like I can traverse my world, at my own pace while the game brilliantly keeps up, and is constantly throwing new challenges my way... which entices me to go further and further. I've taken a loooong break from it for the last few weeks, due to falling down the rabbit hole that is Fallout 4 :-o :P ;) , but when I boot Terraria up next, I know I'll be back on a thrilling grind to explore my huge world, with a grin from ear to ear.

• Like 1

I enjoyed it, the wide range of creatures and environments was great, it's basically 2d minecraft. I liked that tools and weapons are permanent but then, upgrading is nearly impossible. I still don't have a clue how to make some stuff.

What killed it for me was when I got a new tv, and it's scale is determined by your resolution, so it went to unplayable instantly due to a lack of user settings in viewstyle.

It is nice that it's basically complete from the get go, rather than the constant updating Minecraft does. But I can see Minecraft and building and micromanaging are more up my alley than fighting, so I tend to play that instead.

I also appreciate that the weapons and armor don't need to be repaired... it's a nice change-up from Minecraft. I also feel the same about Fallout 4 compared to Fallout 3. I disagree that upgrading is impossible. Once a certain Merchant came to my home base (a goblin I found deep in an Ice Biome), I could spend money to re-roll the stats on my weapons. It is disappointing that I can't do the same thing for my Armor, although I can live with it. Finding that goblin was such a cool surprise, and then learning that I could boost my weapons with Gold... priceless. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what you mean. I assume you were playing it on a smaller screen, and were used to that resolution... and once you moved up to a bigger screen that perhaps it became unplayable in your view, because everything was so small on the screen at that point. From the get go, I have wished that there was a 'zoom in/out' feature, because the resolution is so small. I am playing it on a 54" Plasma screen and everything is quite tiny.... looks crisp as can be, but small none the less.

I concur. Minecraft vanilla out of the box (both for my PS3 and PS4 games) is incomplete and needs the updates (really wish Mojang would release a compiled version including all the updates, whenever they make the move to make a part 2) while Terraria is definitely a complete experience with the PS4 version, from what I can tell anyway. Fair enough, I agree that Minecraft is more building oriented.

Both games definitely have their own merits.

The resolution is set pixel by pixel, so when I got a new 1080p tv, even though it was the same size as my old 720 p tv, the graphics got smaller and I could no longer see it. My eyes are bad enough as is, and I was already right at the edge of what I could see. There should be a way to change resolution, but unless it's been updated in the last year or so, then as far as I'm aware there isn't.

Yeah I could get a bigger tv, or sit closer to the one I got, but I'm one of those few weirdos that actually sit the recommended distance to size ratio.

The resolution is set pixel by pixel, so when I got a new 1080p tv, even though it was the same size as my old 720 p tv, the graphics got smaller and I could no longer see it. My eyes are bad enough as is, and I was already right at the edge of what I could see. There should be a way to change resolution, but unless it's been updated in the last year or so, then as far as I'm aware there isn't.

Yeah I could get a bigger tv, or sit closer to the one I got, but I'm one of those few weirdos that actually sit the recommended distance to size ratio.

Copy that. That is a bummer and I can completely understand why you'd have a hard time in that case. I'm sorry to hear it. It'd be great if the Developer could add a resolution setting or a zoom in/out setting to the options, innit...