Photo

Replacement Part for Colecovision internal component?

colecovision repairs joystick port

9 replies to this topic

#1 tripletopper OFFLINE  

tripletopper

Moonsweeper

• 293 posts

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:32 PM

I have a "Mostly Working" coloecvision.  If you supply power to it, it turns on.   If you put in a cartridge, it reads it.   The only problem is due to bad instruciotns from Adam's House, I permenantly ruined my Joyport 1 on the Colecovision, so I can't plug in any joystick.  they told me to pull the port, so I pulled it apart, and it got ruined.

I'm not getting much help from the repair shop, who told me to to find a non-working colecovision, and transplant the joyport.  he says he can solder it for $25  -the $10 analysis fee.

I asked if there is a generic equivalent part for the right angle Colecovision DB9 port? The repairman said there was none.   I asked A couple companies whihc may have the piece, and they said they didn't know enough about the particular repair or the Colecoviison itself to answer the question.

I'm trying to get the repairman on board.  All he has to do is solder on a new 9-pin connector.  But he insists on a genuine CV connector, becuase there is no part number on it, so he can't look up equivalents.

I found this searching for  a solder-on DB9 right angle connector: https://www.cablewho...sRoCx1kQAvD_BwE

$4 shipping plus <$1 for the cost of 1, plus I know it's not ruined.   A lot less in cost and a lot more sure to work than a stereotypical non-working Colecovision.  The only thing I don't know is whether it's compatible with a Colecovision.

#2 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,798 posts

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:05 PM

I believe that the joystick port on the ColecoVision is exactly the same part/item as that used in the Atari 2600 etc.  B&C Computer Visions used to sell them (www.myatari.com).  Send them an email and ask for Item# 140995007584 "Joystick DB-9M 4 NP PCB Connectors 2600/7800/800 Atari New" - hopefully they still have stock.

#3 onlyinajeep OFFLINE  

onlyinajeep

Space Invader

• 25 posts

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:13 PM

I picked one up from Console5, but it appears that they are of stock. I'll look after work if I have an extra.

https://console5.com...-old-stock.html

ata-joystick_port-co19062.jpg

#4 Ruggers Customs OFFLINE  

Ruggers Customs

Space Invader

• 46 posts

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:41 PM

Atari 2600 or an old Sega Genesis port will work just fine.  I would offer to do it for you and just charge parts but shipping to me will cost you more than to just have the other guy do it.

#5 Jeremy Popp OFFLINE  

Jeremy Popp

Moonsweeper

• 365 posts

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:54 AM

I have a "Mostly Working" coloecvision.  If you supply power to it, it turns on.   If you put in a cartridge, it reads it.   The only problem is due to bad instruciotns from Adam's House, I permenantly ruined my Joyport 1 on the Colecovision, so I can't plug in any joystick.  they told me to pull the port, so I pulled it apart, and it got ruined.

I'm not getting much help from the repair shop, who told me to to find a non-working colecovision, and transplant the joyport.  he says he can solder it for $25  -the $10 analysis fee.

I asked if there is a generic equivalent part for the right angle Colecovision DB9 port? The repairman said there was none.   I asked A couple companies whihc may have the piece, and they said they didn't know enough about the particular repair or the Colecoviison itself to answer the question.

I'm trying to get the repairman on board.  All he has to do is solder on a new 9-pin connector.  But he insists on a genuine CV connector, becuase there is no part number on it, so he can't look up equivalents.

I found this searching for  a solder-on DB9 right angle connector: https://www.cablewho...sRoCx1kQAvD_BwE

$4 shipping plus <$1 for the cost of 1, plus I know it's not ruined.   A lot less in cost and a lot more sure to work than a stereotypical non-working Colecovision.  The only thing I don't know is whether it's compatible with a Colecovision.

I have some spares that are exactly like the ones posted from console5.  I can get you one for $5 shipped within the US, just send me a PM if interested.

#6 tripletopper OFFLINE  

tripletopper

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 293 posts

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:55 PM

Atari 2600 or an old Sega Genesis port will work just fine.  I would offer to do it for you and just charge parts but shipping to me will cost you more than to just have the other guy do it.

Can you beat $15 combined shipping both ways and labor?

#7 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

Quadrunner

• 5,798 posts

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:57 PM

If your in the us I can mail you one

#8 Ruggers Customs OFFLINE  

Ruggers Customs

Space Invader

• 46 posts

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:22 PM

Can you beat $15 combined shipping both ways and labor?

Nope, not even close.  Sorry man.

#9 tripletopper OFFLINE  

tripletopper

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 293 posts

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:15 PM

If your in the us I can mail you one

Can you beat $5 Paypal including shipping, no labor.  Is it considered in unused shape?  Is it the exact same model sold on Console5 that says compatible with Colecovision, 2600 and 7800?

#10 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

Quadrunner

• 5,798 posts

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:08 AM

Its a plastic de9 take it or leave it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colecovision, repairs, joystick port

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users