IGNORED

Entry 2018: Dwarven Mine

So a couple weeks after buying Oscar's new book, here is a gameplay video of my entry into this years contest...

https://youtu.be/7rV7hGZhjoM

It's been real fun to code, and can't wait to do a few more games.

Dwarven Mine

1-2 players + 1-4 computer players
coded by Jeph Stahl 2018
based on board game Diamant by Alan Moon and Bruno Faidutti
Dwarves love nothing more than digging mines for gems. They have the constitution to stand up to lots of dangers, but if they come across them again, they know to close a mine off for good.
As a dwarf miner, you head into 5 mines. Each mine you will come across gems and dangers. Gems are split evenly amongst the dwarves in the mine. Any remainders are left on the trail. Each sequential mine path player will decide to stay (1+ENT) or leave (2+ENT). Dwarves leaving will split any gems remaining on the path and safely store there haul in there chest. Dwarves staying will face the next mine path.
The first of each type of danger does not threaten the dwarves.... but a second of any type will cause any dwarves in the mine to drop their gems and leave, abandoning the mine forever.
The dwarf with the most gems at the end of the 5 mines is the winner.
Occasionally, the dwarves might come across a rare large gem. Unable to divide the large gem, it will only be available to the next dwarf to leave the mine alone. The large gem is worth 10 gems.
The contents of you treasure chest is kept secret from your fellow dwarves. While you are still in the mine, you may press down on the disc to reveal your score. Be careful to keep the score secret!!
The AI dwarves each have there own strategies for winning. Learn their intricacies to be able to take home more gems.

• Like 7

@boardgamebrewer:

Cool work - especially since you only really started a few weeks ago. I figure a board game type of video game and your namesake are not a coincidence. :-D

@nanochess:

Wow. If only you released the book a few months earlier we would've had some more quality entries by now!

The video is a little confusing, but it kept me interested watching you having so much fun. I can't say I completely understand everything that's going on, but it looks like an interesting start. Don't forget to submit your entry to the contest!

-dZ.

Thanks everyone.

I spent some more time cleaning the screen up to hopefully make everything clearer. Also fixed some bugs and added some animation and end game music.

Here is a basic outline of the game:

That helps quite a bit. I re-watched the video and was able to follow better what was going on. :)

Will you be releasing a work-in-progress ROM for others to play-test? If not, don't forget to make your submission to the judges tonight! :)

There's no time now, but here are a few suggestions for future enhancements in case you wish to continue working on the game for an eventual release. Feel free to ignore any of it. :)

• I understand that the game is a translation from a board game, but still it seems much too static. The sound effects are good, but perhaps you could add a bit of animation to liven it up.
  • Maybe the screen could be laid out differently to give a larger focus on the "latest encounter" view. It's a video game, so it is mostly a visual medium; and the most interesting part of it is the exploration of the mine.
  • With a larger "latest encounter" view, you could get a bit more fancier with the graphics, maybe even animate the dangers (slithering snake, rocks actually falling, gems with shining and radiating light, etc.).

That's it for now, I may have more after I play and review the actual game. It looks good, and the game-play seems solid. Good job! :thumbsup:

-dZ.

P.S.

DON'T FORGET TO SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY!!!

There's no time now, but here are a few suggestions for future enhancements in case you wish to continue working on the game for an eventual release. Feel free to ignore any of it. icon_smile.gif

• I understand that the game is a translation from a board game, but still it seems much too static. The sound effects are good, but perhaps you could add a bit of animation to liven it up.
  • Maybe the screen could be laid out differently to give a larger focus on the "latest encounter" view. It's a video game, so it is mostly a visual medium; and the most interesting part of it is the exploration of the mine.
  • With a larger "latest encounter" view, you could get a bit more fancier with the graphics, maybe even animate the dangers (slithering snake, rocks actually falling, gems with shining and radiating light, etc.).

That's it for now, I may have more after I play and review the actual game. It looks good, and the game-play seems solid. Good job! icon_thumbsup.gif

-dZ.

I agree with your points. I did add a few animations to help indicate when the players were entering values and when dwarves left the mine (mainly for increased understanding of the game state). But didn't really have time to do more animations on the Dangers that I wanted too. Just learning the basics of sound generation took me a week ;). This last week I put in some animation, learning about sprites vs print.

All in all it was a great learning experience and I can't wait to improve this and work on more games!

ps. I have the LTO flash. Is there any mode on it where I could compile directly to it? ie. having it plugged in via usb and in the intv at the same time?

I agree with your points. I did add a few animations to help indicate when the players were entering values and when dwarves left the mine (mainly for increased understanding of the game state). But didn't really have time to do more animations on the Dangers that I wanted too. Just learning the basics of sound generation took me a week ;). This last week I put in some animation, learning about sprites vs print.

All in all it was a great learning experience and I can't wait to improve this and work on more games!

I hear ya'! It's still a great start. You can work on those details later on. Just make sure to ask here for any help if you need it. There's plenty of knowledgeable people willing to lend a hand. :)

ps. I have the LTO flash. Is there any mode on it where I could compile directly to it? ie. having it plugged in via usb and in the intv at the same time?

I believe there is, although I haven't used it. I think you can plug it via USB to your computer and build and run. Perhaps someone else can provide more details.

-dZ.