IGNORED

US 1985 new game releases?

masschamber

So I was looking through the 2600 library and even though the market crashed in 83 a decent number of games were released in 1984 (which makes sense as thing nearing completion, expecting a recovery etc would make sense to carry into the next year) but 1985 seems barren, does anyone know of any 2600 games released in 85?

Activision's Ghostbusters is the first and only actual 1985 title that comes to mind. At least, the copyright screen says 1985; a game's release isn't always married to the copyright screen, but as far as I know, GB came out in '85.

Cosmic Commuter (also an Activision title) has a copyright screen (and date on the box) of 1984, but the AA page here says it released in 1985, so...?

There were also some older games that got '85 re-releases with the updated year on the label; I have a Pac-Man branded 1985, for example. (Not the same thing as what you're asking, I know.)

Edited by King Atari

I'd love to see that 1985 pac-man, I have a 1987, but never knew about 1985

Sure! Luckily, I have some pics here on the PC already. I took them back in 2015 to reply to some late release-related topic (which is why the 1987 edition is pictured right next to it), but I don't think I wound up posting them. They're not the greatest shots in the world, but they get the job done.

post-548-0-39052000-1535583126_thumb.jpg

post-548-0-40859100-1535583165_thumb.jpg

post-548-0-12632800-1535583225_thumb.jpg

Edited by King Atari
  • Like 1

So the 87 lacks the dust cover? Neat.

Yep, it's just a standard Atari Corp. shell, same as their red label releases and gray label re-releases from that period.

(Not to get too far off topic, but did Corp. ever use dust covers post-1986? I've got some '86 7800 games with them, but I don't think I've seen any beyond that year, 2600 or 7800.)

Sure! Luckily, I have some pics here on the PC already. I took them back in 2015 to reply to some late release-related topic (which is why the 1987 edition is pictured right next to it), but I don't think I wound up posting them. They're not the greatest shots in the world, but they get the job done.

I just posted a topic about how I thought I got a fake copy of Kangaroo. Based on your pics, looks like I just got a crappy late release (1988/89 based on copyright). I thought the lack of dust cover, holes inside exposing the back of the sticker and the perforated edges on the circuit board were indicative of a fake but it looks like it was par for course later on. Out of curiosity, do the newer carts have a tighter fit in a light sixer? The cart I have barely fits (and doesn't work, but that's not uncommon in itself).

Yes, the Atari Corp. shells are a bit thicker. They fit fine in the 7800 and 2600 Jr., but they can be a tight squeeze in older models. Your Kangaroo just sounds like a later release. As for it not working, the tight fit may be keeping it from making proper contact, or it might just need a cleaning. Dead carts do happen, but these things are generally pretty resilient.

Edited by King Atari
  • Like 1