IGNORED

Slim PS 2 cannot read discs

jhd

I bought my slim PS 2 new at retail about 10 years ago. I use it sporadically, and then it sits unplayed for long stretches of time. I last used it perhaps 9 months ago.

I hooked it up again last night, and received the error message that it cannot read a disc. I tried several PS 2 games, including some that I purchased new and that have utterly no scratches. I have not yet tried a DVD or audio CD.

My best guess is that the lens needs a good cleaning. The whole console was very dusty.

Any other suggestions? Replacing the laser assembly is beyond my limited technical skills (and it would be cheaper/easier to just purchase a replacement console).

Any other suggestions? Replacing the laser assembly is beyond my limited technical skills (and it would be cheaper/easier to just purchase a replacement console).

Trust me it is not. You likely do need to replace the laser though.

To replace a new laser is super simple. You remove the case screws, pop off the cover. You then remove two tiny screws holding the laser slider flap piece down, then you remove the two screws holding the slider bar and pull the slider bar out. You turn over the laser assembly and pop open the wire harness and pull it out.

You then take the new laser put the wire harness in, fold the plastic back down, put back on slider bar, screw down slider bar, then screw the metal flap back down, and reassemble the ps2.

You will need to get the model of laser before you order a new one, it is on the assembly, like KHW-430.

The only thing you would need to do that would be slightly advanced is remove a solder blob on the new laser assembly.

I have being experiencing a similar issue for the last couple of year, generally only use to the play Madden with the football season runs.

Try holding the lid switch down without a disc inside, the read head should slide back and forth as it tries to read the disc.

Sometimes mine does not do that, I usually find that moving it back and forth a little by hand (with the power off) and then pushing it gently all the way to the back works. I am guessing the grease/lube that was original used to lube the mechanism is either gone or is becoming more viscous with age causing the read head to become stuck from lack of use and it just need a little freeing up from time to time.

Edited by Stephen Moss
  • Like 1