IGNORED

[Done] Tyre Trax

Muddyfunster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to play this after so long. The graphics are amazing and I loved the screen where you sink to the bottom of the lake. I wasn't expecting that. I only played through emulation but look forward to playing on an actual system one day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to play this after so long. The graphics are amazing and I loved the screen where you sink to the bottom of the lake. I wasn't expecting that. I only played through emulation but look forward to playing on an actual system one day.

Glad you liked it! I'm hopeful that one day there will be a physical release of the cart to put the fabulous box and label art that AtariBoy came up with to good use. I've drafted up a manual in the Activision style and I've even thought about a limited run of patches, just like the Activision titles of old.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome. It sounds very dense and reminds me of some NES-type songs.

Thanks Kev,

JetRush1 did the music and he did a great job, All I had to do was shoe-horn it into the code, which took a few hours :) but it was well worth it as it's a great track. Props to mksmith to for figuring out how to get TIA Tracker tunes playing via bB, that in itself is a gamechanger I think,

• Like 2

I have yet to play with the tracker but I have always found the Atari to be very capable musically, especially after I got the SynthCart years ago. The VbB music editor is neat and it is awesome to visualize the notes on a keyboard but I found it difficult to use effectively. Looks like this may bridge that gap.

I watched the video and noticed that you have the same sound play every time the player passes something. If you have the space, you might want to have something like one of three to five similar sounds that will play randomly each time so it will be less monotonous for the player's ears.

Speaking of that sound you are using, it kind of sounds like a warning sound instead of a more gentle, pleasing sound that lets the player know that he or she did something right. My first immediate thought was that it sounded like someone was violating a duck every time the player successfully passed by an object. :D

I watched the video and noticed that you have the same sound play every time the player passes something. If you have the space, you might want to have something like one of three to five similar sounds that will play randomly each time so it will be less monotonous for the player's ears.

Speaking of that sound you are using, it kind of sounds like a warning sound instead of a more gentle, pleasing sound that lets the player know that he or she did something right. My first immediate thought was that it sounded like someone was violating a duck every time the player successfully passed by an object. :D

This is a bit more gentle, i tried to get a sound like when you pass something like a whoosh / doppler effect.

However sound is one of my skills that's still very much "developing".

I'd be interested to see which folks prefer, the more muted woosh or the "abused duck"

Cheers :)

That kind of sounds like someone is dragging a bag full of pipe wrenches. :D

One idea would be to find a gentle/pleasing whooshing sound that you like from a classic game and use Stella to study it. Then you can change it slightly so it won't be a pure rip off.

Here's an adapted version of what RevEng posted back in 2011:

atariage.com/forums/topic/179624-how-do-you-extract-sound-effect-data-from-classic-games/?p=2246925

For most sounds the method I post will be good enough, though if the game changes the sound registers faster than each frame then your copy of the sound won't be accurate.

• Open up the ROM in stella. Get close to the point where the sound will trigger and enter the debugger by pressing the ~ key. Choose the AUDIO tab and hit the FRAME +1 button until you see the volume registers change.

post-23476-0-68997200-1301509388.png

• Write down the sound register values and press the FRAME+1 button. Repeat until the volume registers are zero again or the sound is otherwise done.
  • Put all of your data into your game as data statements for bB or BYTE data for asm. (See the bB example program.) In my sample I used the dragon roar in Adventure, which only changes the audio registers every 3 frames.

rippedsound.bas

rippedsound.bas.bin

These descriptions are making me crack up, hilarious!!

My first immediate thought was that it sounded like someone was violating a duck every time the player successfully passed by an object. icon_mrgreen.gif

That kind of sounds like someone is dragging a bag full of pipe wrenches. icon_mrgreen.gif

Maybe a sound like the the whooshing of the propeller pack in H.E.R.O.? You can see how they're making the sounds by checking out the Audio tab in the Debugger mode (press ~ key) and then step through Frame by Frame (Ctrl-F) or Scan Line (Ctrl-S) if they change the audio more frequently than 60 times a second:

post-37205-0-91393700-1548369777.jpg

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 3

These descriptions are making me crack up, hilarious!!

Maybe a sound like the the whooshing of the propeller pack in H.E.R.O.? You can see how they're making the sounds by checking out the Audio tab in the Debugger mode (press ~ key) and then step through Frame by Frame (Ctrl-F) or Scan Line (Ctrl-S) if they change the audio more frequently than 60 times a second:

attachicon.gifHero-Audio.JPG

@cimmerian - your a mountain of Stella debugging magic :-D :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Thanks Lila, so each "row" has a different speed? but rows can move faster than the row above (seeing the first run idea in your example).

That could be done in the game engine as it stands I think, but I'd have to find some extra trigger bits and variables to control it. Also I'd need to think about the gameplay because basically you are riding towards stationary obstacles so different speeds for each row might not work. If we consider the obstacles are also moving, then it does I guess.

I had a similar thought for TT2 with a slightly slower pace to the game, but with variable speed obstacles and jumps / ramps and scoring instead of timing.

I need to shush or I'll not finish DareDevil :)

I've also replaced the abused duck and the bag of pipe wrenches sound with a gentle "woosh". Will post a video up later.

Currently finalising the instruction manual.

• Like 7

Oh nice! I tried to do it with temp variables but couldn't find the right fraction number to make them move in a line, the idea was that the obstacles are stationary but the obstacles closest to the "camera" appear to move slightly faster

so obstacles allways enter like this

and exits the view like this

but line up in the middle of the screen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello!

Great game! Fast and fun. Also, it's nice to see logs from Pitfall zoom by ;)

Just one issue: both the PAL 60 and NTSC register as being NTSC (you can see this in Stella under Game properties -> Display). Since I'm playing on a PAL system, I have colours being shifted in both cases, which makes the NTSC version very weird and the PAL okay-ish but too dark in some places, so you don't see the obstacles. Maybe this is a simple declaration in the program that's missing? I don't have a clue how this works, but other PAL games register and display correctly.

Cheers and many thanks for your work

• Like 1