[WIP] Tyre Trax

47 replies to this topic

#1 Muddyfunster ONLINE  

Muddyfunster

Star Raider

• 67 posts

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2018 7:58 AM

Tyre Trax

This is a clock racer where the player has to complete the course in the shortest possible time. Still a bunch of things to add (like an in game reset switch function..).

I have no idea how this plays on real hardware as I don't have a Harmany Cart to test as as I'm using the DPC+ kernal, it doesn't work on my Uno_Cart.

Inspiration.

I always used to love games like Barnstorming and Grandprix by Activision where it's you vs the clock. This game is inspired by those and also by the unique art style of classic Activation with the gradient sky etc.

I ride on my mountain bike a lot near where I live in the UK and we have a lot of canals. The idea for this game came when I was out riding along the tow path, having to avoid crazy old ladies with their yappy dogs, fishermen, rocks, etc. I thought it would make a great Atari game.

Playing 

Right now, 4 game modes are present to try out. 

Game 1 : Summertime - nice and simple, learn to play (15 obstacles)

Game 2 : Sunset - bit more challenging with more obstacles. (20 obstacles)

Game 3 : Winter - hard, (25 obstacles) - rocks start a bit closer as visibility is lower !

Game 4:  Night Time : more stuff, lower visibility, (30 obstacles)

Controls

Fire or Reset to start after selecting your game.

Right to accelerate

Left to slow down.

If you hit an obstacle you get slowed down (costing you time)

You need a fast time to win the gold cup!

ToDo

This is very much a work in progress (and a huge learning process for me), and while a bunch of the game mechanics are present, there is a lot of stuff still to add, tidy up and improve, but it's at a point where I'm happy to show it.

• Partially DoneReset Function in game (i've been having a devils time with getting the reset restrainer to work but hey ho, it's on the to-do list)
  • Done - Game Mode 4, will change to something else, night time maybe.
  • More sounds in game (partial) - Implemented SpiceWare's fantastic Bb sound driver.
  • better obstacle sprites.
  • Reset - Restart cyles working, menu, in game, in game over, in win screen.
  • Splash animation if you hit the water
  • Moving / weaving obstacles
  • Various code efficiencies and tweaks to things like the clouds jittering.
  • joystick start menu nav + firebutton restart
  • Timer to start on action, not automatically
  • Win screen (partial)   
  • Easter Egg...Maybe
  • controls - Ice sliding, visibility on night level tweaks, 
  • AtariVox - might be challenging as I don't have a test unit (or Harmony to test the bin on real hardware).
  • Fix colours that inadvertently blend with backgrounds
  • Started - PAL60 conversion 
  • Started - manual

Notes

The sunset / moon reflection seems to be ok from the feedback I from folks testing on real hardware. 

Feedback and suggestions are appreciated !

Updates & changes

1st Sept : build 24 attached, night mode added (Game 4)

2nd Sept : Build 30e attached, some spooky stuff going on in game 4, Inspired by some of PacMan Red's sprites in the free sprite thread.

Other game modes have some new graphics, some are still placeholders. go in the water, you can press reset, end of lap, you can press reset, reset enabled in game loop, (not on title screen - damn you, repetition restrainer.).

3rd Sept : Build 37b attached, general refinements to the code, ran out of space in bank 3 necessitating a bit of a re-org, more refinements on graphics. player no longer stops dead when hitting an obstacle, instead the player slows to a crawl (otherwise you may never finish a course if you chose not to accelerate again..). moving obstacle code in but not active.

5th Sept: Build 45. Fixed some bugs on positioning, added a new sequence if you go in the water, flashing removed if course completed, flashing removed on initially hitting water. spent 3 hours figuring out why the cloud sprites had dropped their colours (gap between colour code and "end" on one sprite...).

6th Sept: Build 55. Reset from anywhere, use fire to start on game over and win screens. implemented SpiceWares sound driver, placeholder sounds used for now. Can now use joystick to game select.

9th Sept: Build 64c : Implemented a countdown to start, rather than just throwing the player in as soon as the game resets. added a little win tune. various tweaks and polishes. Win screen now rates your time, Gold, Silver, Bronze and ... Turd... Fixed a bug that allowed bypassing of obstacles. 

15th Sept : Build 68 : Tweaks to some colours, added numerals on win screen, animations continue after course is complete.

15th Sept pt2 Build 75b2: getting close to feature complete, spent time reclaiming variables and using bits for more tasks. Added an Easter Egg to the game, more colour tweaks, on the 3-2-1 GO countdown, if you chose to, you can press fire to skip.

Attached Thumbnails

• title.JPG
  • tyre_trax_v30e.bas_5.png
  • v37_game1.png
  • V37_game2.png
  • V37_game3.png

Attached Files

Edited by Muddyfunster, Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:09 PM.

#2 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 3,647 posts

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2018 8:14 AM

Wow, this looks fantastic!

#3 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Moonsweeper

• 442 posts

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2018 8:21 AM

Beautiful graphics! I'm looking forward to trying this one out. :)

#4 Lewis2907 OFFLINE  

Lewis2907

Moonsweeper

• 264 posts

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2018 9:52 AM

Nice game. I like the different animation of the duck, clouds and water effect. Is it possible to make the mountains scroll left or right based up the length and position of the player? Thanks.

#5 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,735 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2018 10:59 AM

Thanks for not making the player have to jerk the joystick back and forth or rapidly press the fire button. The player can have fun without getting a repetitive stress injury.

#6 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Moonsweeper

• 442 posts

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2018 11:11 AM

I haven't tried it on hardware yet, but it plays well under Stella.  I'll try it on hardware when I'm in the same city as my Atari again.  It is awesome visually, and serves as a good showcase for the graphics capabilities of the DPC+ kernel.  A couple of comments:

• I'm not fond of the flickering/screen shaking effect when one crosses the goal or goes into the water.
  • There seems to be a bug where going into the water switches the game back into game 1 regardless of which game mode is selected.
  • A greater variety of obstacles, including some moving ones would make the game more fun, IMO.

#7 Albert ONLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• 34,720 posts

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2018 11:57 AM

As an avid mountain biker, I definitely need to give this a shot later today.  :) 

..Al

#8 Muddyfunster ONLINE  

Muddyfunster

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2018 12:09 PM

I haven't tried it on hardware yet, but it plays well under Stella.  I'll try it on hardware when I'm in the same city as my Atari again.  It is awesome visually, and serves as a good showcase for the graphics capabilities of the DPC+ kernel.  A couple of comments:

• I'm not fond of the flickering/screen shaking effect when one crosses the goal or goes into the water.
  • There seems to be a bug where going into the water switches the game back into game 1 regardless of which game mode is selected.
  • A greater variety of obstacles, including some moving ones would make the game more fun, IMO.

Thanks for the feedback and kind words all

KarlG - 

Agree on the screen shake / end routine. That's high on my list of things to polish up. I think a short "win" tune might work.

Bug added to the list of things to squish

more obstacles are definitely coming.

#9 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,561 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2018 3:23 PM

What the crap!?! That's a great looking game!

I love the graphics, especially the water effects.  I really look forward to seeing what you do with this.

#10 7800fan OFFLINE  

7800fan

Quadrunner

• 5,606 posts

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2018 5:37 PM

Looks like something made by Activision with that water reflection. Looking forward to finished version!! (subbed)

#11 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,561 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2018 9:35 PM

Do you have any plan to add jumping, like adding ramps or something?  It looks like jumps could be added without having to ever place the player higher on the screen than he's currently allowed to go (moderate jumps that would allow him to go as high as the waterline -- just below the drowning line -- would be fun).

#12 MemberAtarian OFFLINE  

MemberAtarian

Chopper Commander

• 190 posts

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2018 5:43 AM

I really like the backgrounds, so detailed and rapid! In your case, I would make the stones (what those are :D ) maching the colors of the background at the beginning, and making it more and more darkes as you get close, so it would be like a fog of war. :) A wall would be great so you wouldn't fall into the water and I think you should die as you run into the stones too fast, with a fall animation. Jumping would be great, as mentioned above. :)

+Add reset after you finished the lap. :)

Uno cart won't work with DPC+, but it can handle 64K.

Edited by MemberAtarian, Sun Sep 2, 2018 5:45 AM.

#13 nitrofurano OFFLINE  

nitrofurano

Moonsweeper

• 299 posts
  • meditating

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2018 6:14 AM

how can we play it on Javatari? i tried http://javatari.org/?ROM=http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=591537 

#14 Lewis2907 OFFLINE  

Lewis2907

Moonsweeper

• 264 posts

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2018 9:42 AM

Javatari has a hard time supporting DPC games. I have tried in the past. Also the AFP (Atari Flashback Portable) struggles with DPC games. I think the way to play is real hardware, cell phone emulator and computer emulators, thanks.

#15 Muddyfunster ONLINE  

Muddyfunster

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2018 11:46 AM

Update to the Binary in the first post. v30e available.

Some spooky happenings over in game 4 (sprites inspired by some of the PMR stuff in the free sprite thread). Some other tweaks and changes.

#16 cimmerian OFFLINE  

cimmerian

Chopper Commander

• 240 posts

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2018 1:19 PM

Hi Muddyfunster, the graphics on your game are amazing, such rich colours!

We're going to feature your game on ZeroPage Homebrew on our next livestream on Wednesday September 5! The show starts at 2PM PT/5PM ET and I can't wait to show it off to our audience.

Hope you can make it, if not, you can watch it in our YouTube archives the next day. :-)

Twitch: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

YouTube: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew

#17 Muddyfunster ONLINE  

Muddyfunster

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2018 4:59 PM

Hi Muddyfunster, the graphics on your game are amazing, such rich colours!

We're going to feature your game on ZeroPage Homebrew on our next livestream on Wednesday September 5! The show starts at 2PM PT/5PM ET and I can't wait to show it off to our audience.

Hope you can make it, if not, you can watch it in our YouTube archives the next day. :-)

Twitch: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

YouTube: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew

ok, sounds great :) I'm in the UK so +5 from ET so I should have no problem catching the stream.

I'll likely update the binary a bunch of times between no and Weds.

#18 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,735 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2018 5:02 PM

I wish I was only 5 hours from E.T. I'd visit him all of the time!

#19 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 10,785 posts

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2018 8:41 PM

Beautiful looking game. I'm keeping an eye on the progress of this for sure. Congrats on a fantastic start :)

#20 ultima OFFLINE  

ultima

Chopper Commander

• 188 posts

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2018 7:40 AM

Wow looks like an activision game. Haven't had a chance to play yet sounds like fun sorta like excitebike vcs.

#21 Muddyfunster ONLINE  

Muddyfunster

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2018 1:26 PM

I wish I was only 5 hours from E.T. I'd visit him all of the time!

I had to read that a couple of times before I got it.

#22 Muddyfunster ONLINE  

Muddyfunster

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2018 4:24 PM

updated v37 binary attached to first post as well as some updated screenshots.

#23 Lewis2907 OFFLINE  

Lewis2907

Moonsweeper

• 264 posts

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2018 12:55 PM

Cool game. I thought each level would advance based upon time. Glad you have the option so far to select the level you want to play. Advance would a possible game concept. Then maybe a muddy, rain, and ice level where controls are tighter or loose based upon the environment.

#24 cimmerian OFFLINE  

cimmerian

Chopper Commander

• 240 posts

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2018 2:14 PM

I've been playing the game a little to check out the new version and was able to get perfect scores on the first three levels (full throttle, no stopping) but the fourth level is a hellscape of fast reflexes and memorization!! I'll get it eventually. When I first played level 1 I thought that the game was too easy, by level 3 I was changing my mind and by level 4 I was sure that the game was not too easy!

Some suggestions:

- Ability to press the button to take you back to the main menu when you die.

- Have the main menu remember which race level you're on when you reset the game, otherwise you have to constantly select the level each time you retry.

- Have the levels selectable (left/right) with the joystick on the main menu

Great stuff, looking forward to playing it on the livestream tomorrow!

Attached Thumbnails

• Tyre Tracks-v37b-Level 1-Perfect.png
  • Tyre Tracks-v37b-Level 2-Perfect.png
  • Tyre Tracks-v37b-Level 3-Perfect.png

Edited by cimmerian, Tue Sep 4, 2018 2:14 PM.

#25 Muddyfunster ONLINE  

Muddyfunster

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2018 2:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone, some really good suggestions.

i've been working more on "weaving" obstacles that don't come in a straight line to up the difficult a bit as well as the "game over" screen. 

fire button restart + joystick menu navigation are on the list to add.

i'm keeping the first post in the thread updated so please check back regularly.,

@ Cimmerian, ill be adding a new build later so please check for that before you stream!

Thanks.

Edited by Muddyfunster, Tue Sep 4, 2018 2:21 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users