IGNORED

Over use of the term "Launch Edition"

rasch_C

From the files of "what grinds my gears".....

I've been seeing a trend as of late, typically when advertising old game consoles for sale. Whether it be an NES, or a 4-switch Woody listed as "Launch Edition" in the for sale title.

This term is a recent term within the gaming community stemming from the generations and limited editions of Xbox and Playstation consoles. I do not believe it really has any merit in retro. Just the resellers using the current buzzwords to market their wares.

I may be OK with the term being used in the retro realm under specific guidelines (what are those when we are talking about speculators and resellers, right?). But when, as I saw today by me, a 4-switch Woody is listed as "Launch Edition" I have to laugh. That version is at least 2 or 3 years into the console's lifespan. If anything were to be considered "Launch Edition", it would have to be the Sunnyvale Heavy-sixer - the version that came out when that platform actually "launched".

Discuss.......

-Allen

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I think there was a similar topic a few years back.

I agree, in retro terms, "launch edition" didn't exist. I'd be ok with an early model first generation having that attached to it, like you said, a Sunnyvale heavy would be ok. But several iterations in, not so much.

In modern consoles, and especially games, they seem to be made in WAY to much quantity. I see many still available months, or even years later, at the same, or even cheaper price. That shows the average person doesn't care, yet launch of special edition stuff keeps getting pumped out in to much quantity. Surprised scalpers can't usually keep the price up on this stuff.

Anyhow, it has to be something special for me to even consider, otherwise, I just want the game or console, and typically don't care about the extra fluf.

It seems to be automatically put into many Ebay item descriptions/titles or something. That alone has made me absolutely hate the term.

its not automatic, its one of the predefined selections you can use if you are too lazy

I typically ignore them cause if your too lazy to type a sentence I am not going to beleive anything else you put in ... much like those listings which are a effin wikipedia article on the system and doesnt tell you squat about that specific unit

I will bust some balls on bin or best offers on them though, last one was some dude asking 50 bucks (free shipping) on a 4 switch 2600 and had it listed as a 6 switch launch edition, my note went something like....

"Here's my best offer since its neither a 4 switch or launch edition model, and your description says nothing of the console's functional state or anything else relevant"

ended up getting it for 18 bucks shipped, worked perfectly fine

Edited by Osgeld

Even in retro game terms, the first iteration of a console is generally made of significantly better stuff than the cost-cutting variations that follow it. But it's an overused term that's so watered down with bullcrap that it's not even worth searching for.

'rare' is my most annoying ebay term. Or the term 'mint' as it's used to describe even loose games in various states of decay.

Edited by Reaperman

Yeah... well I mean, automatic in that it suggests that one automatically when you start typing something in and people use it. I've had it do that to me before, but I caught it and deleted the "Launch Edition" part before posting.

And you'd probably love my listings... I sometimes think I give too much detail. I've even included pics of the insides of consoles in listings before. Haven't seen anyone else do that. lol

... much like those listings which are a effin wikipedia article on the system and doesnt tell you squat about that specific unit

Not to derail my own topic, but YES! Thia is so classic and also an annoyance. Too much damn boilerplate (wikipedia, and otherwise). So much about terms and conditions, payment expectations, Wikipedia quote about the item, etc. And MAYBE a single sentence about the specific item they are selling. Do you even know what your are selling? Put a little effort in if you want to have my interest to buy it.

-Allen

Edited by rasch_C

It seems to be automatically put into many Ebay item descriptions/titles or something. That alone has made me absolutely hate the term.

That's what ruined it. The only system that has come out with a "launch edition" (that I remember, anyway, though there are probably others) is the Xbox One, and I think they called it Day One Edition or something like that.

That's what ruined it. The only system that has come out with a "launch edition" (that I remember, anyway, though there are probably others) is the Xbox One, and I think they called it Day One Edition or something like that.

I really dislike the Term “Day one Edition”.

8cecc33013ed073d2e63bd004d7e6a9f.jpg

824e1633bda566479ffe7c49217f23a8.jpg

5e81cb295b318c120d92d66b90b3793a.jpg

7bf28d6d09c4dd1b27b227ab56339ad6.jpg

I get it, you got it on day one! Oh I thought maybe you bought it on day 2? That’s so much different. Oh, I get it. It’s so I can expect it to be a piece of crap that needs 3-4 2gb updates to be a decent game. Or that I cheaped out and didn’t get the “Limited Super Special Collectors only Edition”. It’s only $100 to $200 dollars more.

a207334c32f388d705e0c4f6fc2c81bd.jpg

76c1ad906808e52353b4196beee60f46.jpg

3fd9cd7a69cc93729ed9ba7f34407f01.jpg

Oh wait one day you will include all the DLC and I can get the “Complete Edition”.

d6fc7fd1f89685cc2e007af79c602f71.jpg

7c662f788e594592a3cf8a326d694dbd.jpg

0f3921d8c0b04ffe7201c5ee332a1ca0.jpg

b7bffd45eddbb38490fac1dc4b8c4b09.jpg

Why didn’t I get this version on Day One? How many times are you going to sell me the same game? Oh wait, someday it’ll be in 3D HD 16k in Virtual Reality with 27 channel surround sound and you can sell it to me again!!

Edited by adamchevy

!SNIP!

Why didn’t I get this version on Day One? How many times are you going to sell me the same game? Oh wait, someday it’ll be in 3D HD 16k in Virtual Reality with 27 channel surround sound and you can sell it to me again!!

I see a similar trend in some home-brewers' games, especially one-hit wonders who wish to milk more dough out of collectors pockets for their star title. :roll:

-dZ.

• Like 1

I thought we already had complete editions. They just were called Game of the Year releases as they came with every piece of DLC already included for a reduced price on a one disc. It's like you almost need to wait and see how a $60 game plus another $30-50+ in DLC goes because a year or a little less later you can get the GOTY release for $40.

If the use of the launch edition term bothers you on ebay, you can flag them for false or misleading title. It would have to be the exact same packaging and the exact same electronics inside as the ones sold on the day the system launched.

That's nice in theory. But in actual reality, with regards to ebay specifically, it has been found to not work. eBay does not care, as long as they're raking in more profits.

You would think they'd want to abide by their own ToS and not have so many blatant counterfeit goods being sold on their platform for example. You could flag everything that a seller stated is a "photocopied manual" or "reproduction cart", where obviously the seller is not the copyright holder. eBay does not do jack.

If they do not care about the above stated example, they certainly would not care about the more insignificant example of "Launch Edition" in the title for virtually everything.

-Allen

If they do not care about the above stated example, they certainly would not care about the more insignificant example of "Launch Edition" in the title for virtually everything.

I would imagine that proving "false or misleading description" is a lot easier and requires less effort that proving "copyright infringement." Just because they are slow to address one does not necessarily mean the same for the other. They may not care either way, but I do not think that one follows the other.

-dZ.

Honestly, I always found it funny how you can still find "Day One" editions like years after their release.

Seems kinda telling right? :lol:

I'm all for the "Complete" ones, but I wish they wouldn't attach all the review scores on them like the Horizon Zero Dawn Complete. Thankfully, that one has a reversible cover that shows the same art but without all the words.

Yeah... well I mean, automatic in that it suggests that one automatically when you start typing something in and people use it. I've had it do that to me before, but I caught it and deleted the "Launch Edition" part before posting.

And you'd probably love my listings... I sometimes think I give too much detail. I've even included pics of the insides of consoles in listings before. Haven't seen anyone else do that. lol

Not sure I'd want my consoles un=necessarily disassembled. Unless you think you can do it an anti-static environment and put the screws back in so they don't cut new threads.

L@@K a RARE Launch Edition WOW!

Yes. Like I care I'm the first guy in town with a new game. Probably 99.99% of the people in my town don't even know I purchased a new game. The "glow" and "spotlight" are all internally generated in your head and seeded by marketing departments. You are the flunky.

Like I got a new iPhone the other day and it is quantifiably better than the earlier "launch editions" or previous iterations. Naturally. And guess what? I didn't have to camp-out for 2 days in line.

I do however thank those suckers paying more than I did.. for beta-testing it for me.. for helping develop the ecosphere so I don't have to mire in tedium. I just just go and use it and be done and done.

And I don't chase after special colors or artwork or whatever. There is always something better around the corner.